Resealing seams in Waders

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Resealing seams in Waders

Postby tstrong » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:52 pm

Going on my 3rd year with breathable waders and notice the inner seams are looking a little ragged. They do not leak and are the best waders I've ever had. Can I spread aqua seal on them - is there some type of tape I could apply or has anyone sent them to the manufacturer to have them done?
tstrong
hunter

Postby sioutdoors » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:07 pm

if it ain't broke don't try and fix it............words to live by :thumbsup:
belly up feet kicking
http://sihunters.blogspot.com/
sioutdoors
hunter

Postby akbrett » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:35 pm

I live in my Simms up here and always have the Aqua seal handy. I've used duct tape to reinforce the big holes, but the trick is getting it to stay put while the Aqua seal is hardening. The chemical disolves the adhesive on the tape and it tries to curl on you. The seams at the inside of the knee is the area where the waders seem to wear the most and I usually wait til it leaks and then just smear it on those seams like frosting on a cake.
akbrett
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:30 pm

tstrong, this was my third season also with my breathables. towards the end of the season, i developed a very small pin hole leak. it was at my waist. it didn't matter unless i was standing in waist high water for awhile.

I bought some aqua seal and put a very thin coat on the outside of the seams all the way up the legs and the crotch. This solved my problem.

Clean your waders off the best you can before you put on the sealant. If it has dirt under it, it can come off, or not seal.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:56 pm

or there's always gool ol' shoegoo... it works for everything... including shoes
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby tstrong » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:41 pm

Thanks for all the info. Put on my waders and jumped in my pool up to my ribs for about 15 min and no leaks. I have some aqua seal so I'll leave it for now.
tstrong
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:24 am

jjohnson_714 wrote:or there's always gool ol' shoegoo... it works for everything... including shoes

Shoe goo is AMAZING stuff...I can't belive all the things I've used it on. Although I haven't yet tried it on shoes.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:15 pm

Yea they used to sell it in all the Skate Shops in SD because we messed up our shoes pretty bad. That stuff is awsome.

Glad there working tstrong. I usually just use herters wader repair kit but i think we are gonna buy some aquaseal next time.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Hunting Gear Forum