Fleece Vest

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Fleece Vest

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:55 am

I'm looking for a good, warm fleece vest to wear under my waterfowl jacket. Do you guys have a certain brand that you have and like and would recommend?

thanks!
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Re: Fleece Vest

Postby cjcass » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:52 am

I have the Under Armor vest. Its less bulky than traditional fleece but warm and layers easily.
cjcass
hunter

Postby brktrt-18 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:26 pm

Depending on how warm you want and how much you want to spend look at a down vest. They are warmer and lighter then fleece. I have an 800 fill down vest and wear it almost daily from Nov through March. Just don't get it wet. Cabelas and LLbean would be good plain fleece vests.
brktrt-18
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys! I looked into a down vest but most are just too darn 'poofy' and therefore don't fit well under my jackets, so thought a thinner fleece vest would be the way to go. Have any of you guys seen or own one of the natural gear fleece vests? They are extremely thick and look to be very warm.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby brktrt-18 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:48 pm

The new high end (800 fill or better) down is not bulky at all. If you have a good outdoor store where you live (REI EMS, etc.) go check them out. I have one from first accent and my wife has a North Face. We wear them under coats all the time.
brktrt-18
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys! I looked into a down vest but most are just too darn 'poofy' and therefore don't fit well under my jackets, so thought a thinner fleece vest would be the way to go. Have any of you guys seen or own one of the natural gear fleece vests? They are extremely thick and look to be very warm.

L&L....FWIW I go all season, in Ohio, as you described. The only time I wear a coat is heavy rain.

Both HEAVY fleece and HEAVY fleece with WindStopper works great OVER heavy Fleece pullover with a V-zip up around the neck. Or without that when warmer.

I look online ALL the time for both but over the years have only been happy with what I can see, in hand - versus order online.

Between size, fit, actual fleece weight. and all the variables...that's my experience. There are a ton of average fleece vests out there and it's hard to distinguish online, IMO.

I agree down would be great but last thing I want to worry about is getting wet duck hunting.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby MontanaMatt » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:22 pm

I know Drake gear is not very popular here, but I love my Drake fleece vest. It fits great, is extremely warm, and cuts the wind too. And not at all bulky. Wearing it under my Filson tin cloth coat, I have endured some henious conditions and been quite comfortable. And dry. It also has the magnetic pocket closure thingy on the chest pocket, which I really like.
I took an unscheduled swim while fishing 2 years ago, wearing the Drake fleece vest. I took it off, wrung out the water, put it back on, and was nearly warm when I got back to my truck. Maybe a mile hike in a nasty cold north wind. I am quite satisfied with the vest.
I also have the Drake down vest. Not at all bulky, and if you get cold wearing that vest, hell is surely gonna freeze over soon, and we will all have other things to worry about. I wear it most of the winter here in Montana, and have yet to feel the cold while wearing it.
MontanaMatt
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Another long time fleece vest wearer here. Still wearing a 20(?) year old Cabela's brand heavy Polartec version the zipper's out of as an under layer on our coldest mornings, but mostly use lighter, more tightly woven Polartec for cool day outer wear and as a cold morning layer under a light pullover. Found this one:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Polartec174-Classic-200-Vest-150-Regular/730617.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfleece%2Bvest%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dfleece%2Bvest%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D15%26y%3D9&Ntt=fleece+vest&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

on sale last year, and it quickly became my new favorite. Has a high collar and long tail that help make it surprisingly warm for such a light medium weight vest. See it's on sale again and would drop another $20 for a second, if the first didn't seem built to outlive me.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:54 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys! I looked into a down vest but most are just too darn 'poofy' and therefore don't fit well under my jackets, so thought a thinner fleece vest would be the way to go. Have any of you guys seen or own one of the natural gear fleece vests? They are extremely thick and look to be very warm.

L&L....FWIW I go all season, in Ohio, as you described. The only time I wear a coat is heavy rain.

Both HEAVY fleece and HEAVY fleece with WindStopper works great OVER heavy Fleece pullover with a V-zip up around the neck. Or without that when warmer.

I look online ALL the time for both but over the years have only been happy with what I can see, in hand - versus order online.

Between size, fit, actual fleece weight. and all the variables...that's my experience. There are a ton of average fleece vests out there and it's hard to distinguish online, IMO.

I agree down would be great but last thing I want to worry about is getting wet duck hunting.

I agree that it is really tough to buy gear like clothing online because once it arrives it may or not fit right and may or not be what you thought you were getting. And in terms of fleece, there seems to be so many variables on thickness and pictures online all appear to generally look the same. As I thought a bit more about down, I decided I'm definitely out on that as I get wet all the time when I'm out in the marsh. I admit I get lazy and buy stuff online because I don't want to make the 90-minute drive to Cabelas. Thanks for the feedback.
Last edited by Locked&Loaded on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Another long time fleece vest wearer here. Still wearing a 20(?) year old Cabela's brand heavy Polartec version the zipper's out of as an under layer on our coldest mornings, but mostly use lighter, more tightly woven Polartec for cool day outer wear and as a cold morning layer under a light pullover. Found this one:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Polartec174-Classic-200-Vest-150-Regular/730617.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfleece%2Bvest%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dfleece%2Bvest%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D15%26y%3D9&Ntt=fleece+vest&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

on sale last year, and it quickly became my new favorite. Has a high collar and long tail that help make it surprisingly warm for such a light medium weight vest. See it's on sale again and would drop another $20 for a second, if the first didn't seem built to outlive me.

Hey Rick thanks a lot! This is just what I needed -- a first hand account on a specific product! I just ordered this vest online from Cabelas and figure either way I can't go too wrong for $20.

Not to bash on Drake clothing, because I think they make decent stuff, but their fleece vests are $110.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby beaverdam1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:22 pm

Drake hands down.
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! " John Stephens
beaverdam1
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:28 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:Another long time fleece vest wearer here. Still wearing a 20(?) year old Cabela's brand heavy Polartec version the zipper's out of as an under layer on our coldest mornings, but mostly use lighter, more tightly woven Polartec for cool day outer wear and as a cold morning layer under a light pullover. Found this one:

Hey Rick thanks a lot! This is just what I needed -- a first hand account on a specific product! I just ordered this vest online from Cabelas and figure either way I can't go too wrong for $20.

Not to bash on Drake clothing, because I think they make decent stuff, but their fleece vests are $110.

I have a fleece vest from Timberland, $16 at Costco. I have a fleece button down from Macks, $25. I have a fleece crewneck from Gander Mountain, $10 on sale. I have a fleece pullover wader special thing from DC, $65. I have fleece wader liners from Cabela's $15. I just bought fleece wader pants with pockets from Cabela's for $65. I try not to wear cotton anymore.

That price of $110 for a vest by Drake is ridiculous like every other overly priced product they sell.

FWIW, most fleece is the same. You made a good decision to get the $20 model because that's all fleece is worth, if that. It's freaking polyester. There's nothing new or revolutionary about it. Most reputable companies you find selling out of Cabelas, Macks, GM or BPS will make a "quality" fleece product. Now maybe K-mart or WalMart are different but the others, no worries.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:42 pm

Most all fleece products are about the same? I dunno about that. Lining, weight, elastic, zipper quality, finish, wind stopper....
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby vincentpa » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:32 am

HNTFSH wrote:Most all fleece products are about the same? I dunno about that. Lining, weight, elastic, zipper quality, finish, wind stopper....

Well, zipper quality I didn't think of. Hopefully, the brands mentioned above would use quality zippers but, you never know. The OP wanted something to wear as a layer under a waterfowl jacket. Windstopper material makes the garment much more expensive and would be unnecessary in this case. For your use as a top layer, windstopper is essential and worth the added price. My pullover is windproof from DC. The weight is something he will have to decide on. I prefer multiple lighter layers than one heavier layer. Finish can be important. As a layer, I think the "regular" finish is adequate. If he were wearing the fleece as an out layer, I would recommend brushed fleece exterior with regular interior lining. The regular finish usually is low knapp if sold under one of the names I mentioned above.

One other thing to consider when buying fleece or any other layering garment, I don't buy camo layering garments. I buy colors I could wear under my hunting jackets that I could wear to the office or out with friends. This way, you only have to buy one piece of warm weather clothing.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:57 am

You're right Vince, I TOTALLY misread L&L's stated need. I wouldn't spend more than 20 bucks for a vest under a coat.

I hate coats. Guess it's the muscle mass/bind problem. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby btw574 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:59 pm

I just ordered one of these to use this year. If it works well I will just need my Under Armor cold gear shirt and jacket.
I hate having a lot of layers on.
http://coreheat.net/Products/Heated%20C ... 0Vest.html
btw574
hunter

Postby gcs » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:49 am

I'm having a hard time finding "correct" fitting fleece and sweaters anymore. My last trip to Cabela's I tried on all the neat looking vests, sweaters, jackets you see in their catalog. NONE of them fit right, mostly too short, but also tight arms, and about 1 size off. I was trying 3x's that didn't fit my xl body. Since about EVERYTHING they sell is made in China now, the sizing is all off.

I'm going to take the advise of someone here and check out thrift stores for dead men's clothes.
gcs
hunter

Postby assateague » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:05 pm

I love fleece products, but have found myself getting the cheapest I can find. The problem is that, without fail, my wife WILL grab my fleece jacket or vest off the coat hook, and go out to feed the horses in the morning. Drives me nuts- one trip with an armload of hay, and that fleece is shot, and I will not wear it again, unless I want to itch and scratch like a crackhead. I cannot stop her from doing this (believe me, I've tried), so I just go the cheap route. I can get them for $9 at a hunting surplus store just up the road. I usually buy them 3 at a time. :no:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby vincentpa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:02 am

assateague wrote:I love fleece products, but have found myself getting the cheapest I can find. The problem is that, without fail, my wife WILL grab my fleece jacket or vest off the coat hook, and go out to feed the horses in the morning. Drives me nuts- one trip with an armload of hay, and that fleece is shot, and I will not wear it again, unless I want to itch and scratch like a crackhead. I cannot stop her from doing this (believe me, I've tried), so I just go the cheap route. I can get them for $9 at a hunting surplus store just up the road. I usually buy them 3 at a time. :no:

My wife "borrows" my fleece vest too. She was borrowing mine so much that I bought her one of her own. She doesn't use it. She uses mine even though it is huge on her. :huh:
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Joe-n-TX » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:45 am

Unless you're wearing the vest under a jacket or shell, I would not get one without windstopper. Fleece is a great insulator. And around water(rain) the preferred choice.

The cheap ones work great as a liner. Otherwise spend the money and go with Gore Windstopper.

Joe
Joe-n-TX
hunter

Postby RKDuce » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:59 am

I second Drake.
RKDuce
hunter

Postby zeus50 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:25 am

i ordered the under armor one from cabelas when they were on sale. I wore it the other day and i like it a lot. Its not bulky, so i can use it to layer, and it kept me warm in the cold (45 degrees). with a tshirt under it.
zeus50
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:31 pm

I have a mountain hardware vest that I have been wearing for 15 years. It is awesome.
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby dunnaq » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:40 am

I cant touch fleece. It feels very weird. :help:
fleece jackets
dunnaq
Newb

Return to Hunting Gear Forum