laydown blind

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

laydown blind

Postby littleone » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:29 am

i was just wondering, what did every one do before commercial laydown blinds were on the market,,,, can you make one with common materials ? ive been spending alot of money on hunting stuff lately and just thinking about new ideas....
littleone
hunter

Postby thaner » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:42 am

We used to hide in anything we could find for cover. For open field we used to make a frame out of pvc pipe for the base and then use black plastic pipe to make some curved ribs and cover the whole thing with burlap or sim. and stubble. You can also use just burlap or camo net with some stubble on it and just lay under it. I liked the plastic pipe frame for calling and moving some. Not so great to get it off fast like a layout. I like the simple cover for just setting up and shooting but you have a little harder time calling and moving. If you have the right camo pattern and lay in a good group of decoys you can get buy with nothing if the birds really want to be where you are at.

Pits are nice if you can dig them where you hunt and we used to do that a lot.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:45 am

I know I did a lot more face painting and laying on the ground. I have spent many cold mornings just laying on the graound with some corn stalks on top of me. I will still do it every now and then if I don't want to mess with putting out all the spread. But the layouts have really helped the hunting over the last few years.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:58 pm

I don't have a layout blind and don't have the money to spend one one but plan on making one using a moulded plastic tobogan and some burlap. It will keep me off the wet muddy ground and double as a decoy hauler. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:24 pm

a while back someone sent me a material list and planns plus some pictures on how to build your own field blind. i myself use an avery finisher and absolutely love it. but if anyone wants the planns. e-mail me IrishFleyes@gmail.com and i will send you what i got..
Rowdy
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum