my gear for 2006

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

my gear for 2006

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:43 pm

just need a few tips my decoys will consist of mallards,gw teal, bluebill,pintail, and gadwall i will have about 30 i will also have a new 11-87 sportsman 12 gauge i use kent steel #3 shot and i will have camoflauge material on my boat and i have all camo...i would like to know any tips on how to scout? and how should i set up my spread etc. any other helpful information for a 3rd year hunter soon to come
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:41 pm

you will get many diffrent answers for decoy spreads and everyone has "That Specile Spread" that works everytime, but just look at how ducks sit were you hunt, mimick that, and make sure they can land right in front of you :thumbsup:
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:44 pm

Go out to where you hunt bring a fishing pole and watch the birds and where they go.
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:30 pm

Scouting is something I do when the birds are not flying. Waterfowl react differently after being shot at after opening day. Watch what type of areas they prefer...field, open water, rivers, sloughs...are they likin deep water, shallow water???? sometimes you may not get permission to hunt where you like but if you can determine their habits and what they are preferreing when you spot an area with very similar appearances sometimes it pays off. 30 decoys will work in alot of situations and rarely would you need more. The shotgun and shells :thumbsup: for late season birds but if I were shooting smaller ducks earlier in the season I would opt for a different load. This is the time of year to start gaining permission from land owners and offer to help them fix fences or whatever you can do to secure a decent duck hunting spot...good luck and let us know how your season went>
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby harvey1b » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:41 pm

:withstupid:

Citori hit it right. Do your homework. Get a good map of your area and find out where the water is, and farm fields in between the water. I like to use the Atlas and Gazeteer, and Google Earth is a great program to give you satelite imagery of the area. Then get out there and pound some dirt! Find out what water holds birds and start asking for permission and access. Besides being a great time in itself, fishing is a great way to scout waterfowl hunting spots.

Additionally I prepared a hunting resume/intro letter that I take with me and give to land owners. This states all your contact info, any certifications, memberships, and clubs you belong to. Also put in there your hunting experience. It sounds kind of strange but shows the land owner your are serious and reasponsible about your recreation, that you have put time and pride into it, and that you will be safe and respectful on THEIR property.

Once you get a couple of good spots go to them once a month to check it out, figure out the best place to set up your dekes, where the best cover is, best access, and so forth.

Your dekes sound pretty good, maybe throw a few Canadas in there if you guys see them out there in AZ. I am a huge fan of the 11-87, a real work horse. Kent Fast Steel is a great load, 2's and 3's are good for ducks. You can kill geese with them as long as you are patient and get them in close.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Hoosier Drake » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:53 pm

LUV2DUChunt wrote:Go out to where you hunt bring a fishing pole and watch the birds and where they go.

This is what I call a 2 for 1 and it works and it's fun. Good Luck :smile:
Cuz hunting ain't catch and release.
Hoosier Drake
hunter

Postby duckman2000 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:57 pm

I see you use cinn's and blue wing dekes.just to let you know macks is selling cinn's and blue's for $14.99 for 6
duckman2000
State Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum