Do it yourself weights

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: Do it yourself weights

Postby Sailorman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:22 am

In the old days, shot towers were typically 120ft or so and the shot would fall into water to cool. Also, many bullet molders today will drop the bullets directly into a bucket of water, to cool and harden the bullets more so than air cooling does. But, as noted above, never, ever let water get into the lead (or on/in your mold) - it does explode. Multiple warnings about that in my Lee and Lyman lead pouring guides (I pour bullets, balls, shotgun slugs, weights and jigheads). Either Lee or Lyman make good electric lead pots, Lyman and RCBS make ones you can use on a fire or stove (don't use anything that might be used for cooking). Also, always pour in a well ventilated space, and wash hands well before eating. :thumbsup:
Sailorman
hunter

Re: Do it yourself weights

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:26 am

Sailorman wrote:bullet molders today will drop the bullets directly into a bucket of water, to cool and harden the bullets more so than air cooling does.

Water will, of course, cool hot lead items faster than air will, but water-cooling will not make lead items any harder than air-cooling will.
Make your molds out of aluminum: safer, will last forever, weights will not stick, and weights will cool/solidify in about 10 seconds.
I cast a lot of decoy weights in aluminum molds: they are far and away better than wood molds.
mudpack
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum