Wader repair-HELP!

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Wader repair-HELP!

Postby Baker1527 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:30 pm

So a potentially good hunt was ruined for me today in southern Illinois after water started rushing into t left boot. Filled up to my knee after about 2 hours in a flooded field...got to watch the group that decide to set up way too close to us kill birds while w picked us dekes case my foot was numb. Anyways, it appears that there is a crack on the top of the boot where my foot meets my ankle which is where I believe water is getting in. Any one know how I can fix this? Ts to close to Christmas and my little one's first birthday to buy new waders. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Baker1527
hunter

Re: Wader repair-HELP!

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:03 am

I've tried most everything on rubber boot cracks in high stress areas and found 3M 5200 beats all.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby pjfmeister » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:16 am

Coated mine with gorilla glue...looks horrible but has held up for two seasons
pjfmeister
Newb

Postby aggie2011 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:34 pm

X2 on gorilla glue. I posted a thread about this a while back and Rick mentioned the 3M stuff there. I didn't get a chance to go pick some up but had gorilla glue at the house so I globbed some of that on there. Has worked so far.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
aggie2011
hunter

Postby shortleggedman87 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:10 pm

I was hunting a lake in NC that was flooded about 5 ft and was standing in a large flat taht under normal conditions was a pasture. It was about 25deg and while putting out my decoys in waste high water I got wrapped up in a barbed wire fence and cut my waders open. I froze all morning, and when I got home I coated teh entire area with high quality silicone, then I cut out a 6in square of camo cotton fabric from an old Tshirt. I layed the cotton over the silicone, and then smeared the silicone over the outside of the cotton as well. the silicone seals the leak, and the cotton will keep eliminate the waders from stretching in the area of the cut. I did this on the inside and outside of the waders and it held up for 3 seasons. Untill I cut a hole in the end of my boot while building a blind :hammer: haha
shortleggedman87
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Shoe goo, Gorilla glue and tire patches.....Got a pair of waders that I ripped the bottom sole out of my boot and a hole the size of a tennis ball in the right knee, used these 3 items and i've been using them like that now for 3 years.
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby kalberercalls92 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:55 am

Ive tried a lot of different things. I am going to try a knock off flex seal but I like the gorilla glue idea. I will have to try that when the flex seal doesn't work.
kalberercalls92
hunter

Postby Mallard Cutter » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:20 am

shoo goo works really great.
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:24 am

I have a pair of Columbia waders that leaked at the same place. I took them to a tire shop and they put a patch on for free. Once home i put a lot of Shoe Goo on there, no leaks!!!!......

I called Columbia and they told me to piss off. They apologized that their name was on the product, but they did not make or design them.

So I am now stuck with a $250 pair of wades with patches all over them. I bought a pair of Cabela's waders and haven't looked back since.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby Born2fish » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:54 am

I used marine silicone and gorilla glue with patches from iner-tubes and neoprene gloves. It would work a little while then need to be repaired again. I just bought flex seal and it works great but I don't know how long it will hold up.
Born2fish
hunter

Postby The Mad Duck » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:33 pm

I use Aquaseal or shoo-Goo for major stuff
Turn the wader inside out and put duct tape over the cut/tear. Turn the wader back to the outside and apply the Aquaseal or shoo goo and let dry completely.
A buddy of mine told me he used Plasti-Dip on minor stuff. Plasti-Dip is the stuff that you can coat tool handles with. It's available at Lowes or Home Depot.
I tried it on some very old waders not too long ago. Beliee it or not..It worked
BUCK OFAMA IN 2012
The Mad Duck
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:27 pm

i tried EVERYTHING and gorilla glue, shoe goo, aquaseal, and a few other ideas didn't really work for me. i ended up getting new waders. just some advice that i learned to have boots last longer. clean your boots after every hunt and apply armor all to them. during the summer, cover them in vasoline and put them in a plastic bag for storage and wash it off when the season rolls around. i ended up buying new waders and do this.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby colin s » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:16 pm

My first season I built a pair of waders out of rain pants and rubber boots. I got some comments, but they held all season without leaking. 3M 5200 is a great product, but expensive and I always seem to end up with a god-awful sticky mess when I use it.
colin s
hunter

Postby colin s » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:18 pm

Just read my post and realized I didn't say how I built the waders. Duh. Aquaseal and Gorilla Tape. both great products IMO.
colin s
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:24 pm

My Cabelas waders cracked on top of the boot as well. But the rest of the waders are in great shape. I used the Aqua Seal from bass pro and it works amazing. They say there is an excelerator for it as well to speed up the drying process but I've never used it, the stuff usually dries overnight without it. After the first time I used Aqua Seal I went back to Bass Pro and bought every tube they had in stock. I strongly recommend this stuff, I wouldn't use anything else.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:30 pm

I have leak I'm going to work on tonight. It's just a pressure leak so I'm thinking about trying silicone but I like the tire patch idea.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum