How to build a lay out blind?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

How to build a lay out blind?

Postby Booney3721 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:42 pm

I've been trying ot figure out how to build a cost efficient lay out blind.... I was thinking of taking a black or dark brown sleeping bag and sowing a brown tarp to the back of it and showing or using Velcro stripping to Velcro down some shadow grass and camo netting to it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Re: How to build a lay out blind?

Postby mudpack » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:35 pm

Booney3721 wrote:I was thinking of taking a black or dark brown sleeping bag and sowing a brown tarp to the back of it and showing or using Velcro stripping to Velcro down some shadow grass and camo netting to it.

Can't imagine anything that would be more difficult to get in and out of with boots on.
Just lay on a foam sleeping pad and cover up with burlap, if you don't want to spend the $$ on a commercial unit.
mudpack
hunter

Postby birddude99 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:14 pm

imo u should just save up a little more $$$. you should be able to snag a used blind for under $100 easy and itll be alot more efficiant and after material cost and several trials ( i had 3 trial models before i broke down n bought one ) you probably wont even save that much. good luck, hope what ever you end up doing works out for ya :thumbsup:
birddude99
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:04 am

I've gotta build 5 of em before we go in December :(
Booney3721
hunter

Postby huntfishnv » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:18 am

Camp pad, zip ties, burlap. Looks great, using them this weekend.
Nick Roehl wrote:Everything I say is so damn good you need to quote it for your signiture.

Un-expect the expected
huntfishnv
hunter

Postby vacuum6 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:59 am

I have been using a snow sled...like the ice fishermen use. not the otter brand. it is black and I think it is made by WERNER...not sure about the brand. stuff an old couch cushion into a burlap bag for a pillow. cover yourself with burlap or a sheet of some camo. use the sled to drag your gear into the field , then lay down in it. the only problem is if hunting in the rain...you will be laying in a puddle. but that is true in some coffin blinds also. those sleds are very lite weight.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:04 am

I built one a year or so ago, just to see how easy it was. Got the idea out of Wildfowl, I think. May have been off DHC, can't remember. Pretty easy and effective. I've killed geese out of it and it works pretty good. Used two pieces of emt conduit, threaded rod, 4 90 degree conduit for the legs (two of which are shortened), 4 couplers, two pieces of fast grass panels, some velcro, some bamboo pieces to keep the fast grass from sagging, some stiff wire to form the opening for my head, some raffia to camo around the sides/ head, a piece of plywood for the backrest that has been carpeted and some rolled up carpeting for the headrest. Got 4 rubber feet to fit on the ends of the legs, did some spray painting of the grass and put a little camo net for pulling over my face.

Here's a pic of the finished product and a link to all the photobucket pics of the build:

http://s766.photobucket.com/albums/xx30 ... t%20Blind/

Last edited by tenfingergrip on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:22 pm

wildfowl?
Booney3721
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Yep, Wildfowl, the magazine. They have a Boats & Blind section that they feature every month and some guy submitted the layout blind as his entry that month, I think. Really not sure where I got the idea, it wasn't an original one of mine though. If I knew where to give credit, I would.

By the way, that's our oyster roast cleaning table that the blind is sitting on. Made a good workbench for the project.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby vt duck » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:18 pm

I couldn't get the photos from photobucket
vt duck
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Try again. The link keeps dropping the album part.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum