video cameras

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

video cameras

Postby Mo. Hunter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:11 pm

im wanting to start filming parts of my hunts and was wondering if ikam extreme glasses are any good .if not what is another good affordable camera.
Mo. Hunter
hunter

Re: video cameras

Postby billsarima » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:35 pm

I asked the same question and many people told me to go with the gopro camera. I haven't bought one yet but will eventually.
Don't say a word about my dog being fat other wise you can fetch your own duck!!!
billsarima
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:45 am

I just got the Go Pro Hero 2 HD. So far I love it. It takes great video and the sound quality is actually better than I expected with the sealed case it's in. The sportsman package comes with 2 doors that you can change out. One seals the case and the other has holes cut in it for better sound. I have used the one for better sound on a goose hunt not long ago and you can hear the geese at 75 yds. It takes much better video than the iKam IMO. Plus it comes with different mounts for different things. I put one of them on my bow so I can have a bow mounted camera. The rest I use the head strap. I have a couple videos on youtube using it. Just search carolinagreenhead1
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby J300UM » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:31 pm

X2 on the Gopro! My buddy bought one this year and we've used it on all our hunts. We got a video last Saturday while we were shooting at some geese. During the video you can see my empty hulls flying by the camera and they are clear as day. We even got a freeze frame of him shooting at a duck. You're looking down the barrel, you can see the shot cup about a foot out of the barrel and the duck about 20 yds beyond that! It's awesome!!! We want to secure it to my dog next season and see how that turns out. Get on Youtube and type in "sugars gopro duck hunt V1". They have the camera strapped to the dog. He's a helluva dog too :thumbsup:
Sharks are like dogs....They only bite when you touch their private parts!
J300UM
hunter

video cameras

Postby Hinkelmonster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:44 pm

I have a go pro gd hero 2 fs in the classifieds
Hinkelmonster
hunter

video cameras

Postby Hinkelmonster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:39 am

Sorry my go pro is not a 2
Hinkelmonster
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:47 am

Anybody used a professional quality video camera? I'd like to hear about it because I plan on getting something and starting to video waterfowl hunts. Sound quality and remote microphones, wide angle lense that works in low light conditions is what I need.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:24 am

GoPro!
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby JustinNH » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Here are two videos from last season using the I-Kam. Sound is pretty good but quality is only so-so. The merganser hunt was a realllly foggy day. The crow shot was on a nice day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFFXGOl ... AAAAAAAJAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow-m-PWd ... AAAAAAAAAA

Editing the videos and uploading them cut down the quality, but If you are looking for more quality I would go with the above recommendations on tor GoPro. I have seen some really nice videos done with them. Even saw a commercial the other day filmed with one.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Mudhole » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:48 am

Beens doing this for a few years. I use three-four video cameras in the mini DV format. I'll set one or two off to the side or in front, one close, even have a bullet camera I can attach to another DV camera! Have'nt tried the gopro but have heard good things about it!
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:24 am

http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby alloutwar13 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:58 am

I love my GoPro Hd its awesome when you hunt ducks and geese in fields like I do they really stand out against the sky. If ya Pm me I can give ya my Facebook name and you can watch some of our vids from this year.
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote "I would rather get raped by a dude than have that happen to my d^&%"
alloutwar13
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:54 pm

If you look at the third pic in my thread you can see the wad passing the duck. The detail is pretty good with these little cameras
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

video cameras

Postby TLRMADE » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Love my GoPro HD Hero 2!!! Here's some vids from this past season. Editing also helps very well with the video outcome! The HD Hero 2 has really good low lighting filming rather than the HD Hero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHPfTjPQ3vQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHphyxBuoEw
TLRMADE
hunter

Postby KayakFireman4419 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:26 pm

Mudhole wrote:Beens doing this for a few years. I use three-four video cameras in the mini DV format. I'll set one or two off to the side or in front, one close, even have a bullet camera I can attach to another DV camera! Have'nt tried the gopro but have heard good things about it!

What kind of bullet camera do you have? I'm also a volunteer firefighter of four years and I want a bullet cam for firefighting that can also be used for hunting videos. I found this bullet HD pro camera that is fire rated but I'm not sure of the video quality and can't seem to find any reviews on it.

Here is the link to it. http://stuntcams.com/shop/bullet-1080p- ... p-419.html

Do you have any pros and cons to your bullet camera? I'm not sure if it's anything like the one in the link or not

Thanks
Nathan
KayakFireman4419
Newb

Postby Garand » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:41 am

J300UM wrote:We want to secure it to my dog next season and see how that turns out. Get on Youtube and type in "sugars gopro duck hunt V1". They have the camera strapped to the dog. He's a helluva dog too :thumbsup:

I have an older gopro and want to upgrade to the new version 2, and had already been planning to do this same thing, glad to see how good it looks!!

http://youtu.be/rUzNq3srJYE
Garand
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:36 pm

GoPro 2 with a ski pole mount. Goes on the barrel reaaalll niiiiice.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby teamoutlaw » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:20 am

the go pro is nice but alot of the shots look way too far when really they are alot closer.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 am

I had some really great timber hunts this year. Got out the camera to video the dog retrieving and captured ducks landing in the decoys by accident. I SHOULD have had my shotgun and not the dang camera but that's how it goes.

I suppose it's possible to setup multiple cameras and mikes but after considering just for a few moments I decided there is no way I could pull off filming myself and dog on a timber hunt for mallards.

You just gotta be there. It's all good until the gun goes off and then somewhat controlled chaos ensues.

The dog goes berzerk and knocks the blind down (onto the propane heater) as he exits the blind calmly (right).
Then I have just a few seconds to right things and get ready for his return to help him climb back into the boat so he can deliver the duck or ducks. Then he shakes and gets everything wet. I have to be ready for this and move everything to the back of the boat where he don't get everything wet. All with a quickness. Best to be ready ahead of time but it don't always work that way.

You think a cameraman could deal with this? Where I hunted you could not wade but had to be in the boat/blind.
I seriously doubt he could shoot a shotgun and a camera at the same time plus fight off the dog to keep his gear dry.. I KNOW I couldn't.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Rutin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:09 pm

This is what I use and LOVE it! Unfortunately im going to be selling it all soon due to a divorce.

Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Great Ballz of Fire (Maverick)
Rutin
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:12 pm

I use a gun mounted GoPro2 (custom built), a GoPro2 mounted to the dog with some screws and wood glue (j/k http://thesugarcoat.com/UniversalCamCollar.aspx) and I just got my GoPro3 Black which I plan to wear with a head mount.

The GoPro 3 Black is $$$, but is AWESOME. You can shoot high res video in 48 fps and still get great performance in low light. The gopro 2 also has short recording and battery times (about an hour or so), so you needed extra cards and batteries. The new Black edition has a built in remote to turn on filming which saves battery and space. YO\ou can turn on all wifi cameras at one time, so this feature is great for multiple shots. The black is also crazy small, which is important to consider if you are mounting on gun for both added weight and the shock on the camera due to mass.

They will also survive anything. I was hunting with my pro last year and while shooting ducks on the ocean, my first attempt at a mount exploded due to the recoil. The camera (which had the foam float) fell overboard. While trying to retrieve it in heavy current, I ran over the camera and it went though the prop wash (but wasnt actually hit with the prop). I got the camera back, and was using it the next hunt. Since the camera was running I got everything on tape, including the bird dropping as the camera hit the water, shots of the ocean floor, and harrowing flurry of prop wash.

I would love if another company could compete with GoPro and bring the prices down further, but for the time being, there is no other option, as even the GoPro2 Hero is still far beyond what other companies offer.
Support Conservation Efforts
Hunters and non-hunters alike should support wilderness conservation by both personal actions like conserving natural resources, and by supporting the good work of institutions like Ducks Unlimited.
20bolt
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 am

I struggled and struggled with my new GoPro2 this year. Couldn't get to the field with it charged.
Different reasons, mainly using the wrong charge cord. Finally figured it out, charged it up one day, ready for next day.
Lasted 2 mins in the field. Trouble shooting it now. It definitely loses a charge in 2 days, going to check how fast today.
Do y'all find that you need to pull it off the charger pretty close to using?
AR Dave
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:00 am

I bought a Swann action camera which is just like a GoPro but with (IMO) better accessories. Its also a LOT cheaper. Read reviews of all the action cameras. GoPro definitely has the market, and the marketing, but there are other cameras out there as well. I set mine up about 10 times this year, I got tons of great video of missed ducks, and empty skies.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Tr1ggerHappy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:24 am

I have a go pro HD and the gopro 3 black edition they are awesome here a link with 2 hunting videos from this year no many videos due to work and not getting out there. The dog videos on there are from iphone but the hunting ones are from a gopro.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SkybustinPr ... ature=mhee
Tr1ggerHappy
hunter

Postby fowlplay56 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:19 pm

I used the Kodak play sport. Its waterproof to 3 meters and cheap. It takes 1080 vid and in my opinion better than the gopro. You can buy three of them for the price of a gopro and dont need the case. I have filmed trout underwater while fishing. I used it on a couple hunts this year and wish I had taken it everyday. The playback on the tv is unreal. The beginning of my film is on a hunt that was probably the most overcast and darkest day i hunted all year and still turned out good. Watch the video and adjust the quality on youtube tool bar to the highest. About 5 minutes into the video its a different hunt and better sky conditions with alot better video. I dont see why you would pay 299 for a go pro! If your gonna get serious about filming your gonna want a professional camera but you could also set up a few of these on tripods remotely and get 48 minutes out of them. Im a begginer at all this and still trying to figure out alot of the editing stuff.
Anybody out there have an editing program they really like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhX1OW2yUZ8
fowlplay56
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum