expanding foam for hollow decoys

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

expanding foam for hollow decoys

Postby tiercel45 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:26 pm

anyone ever tried to fill a hollow plastic decoy with any type of expanding foam, it would be a great way to get more durable lighter decoys without having to make your own foamer decoys, just wondering any experience or advice would be appreciated thanks
tiercel45
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:54 pm

I have used it in the past, wasn't real happy with the results. Seems like it soaks in water and the decoys keep getting heavier and heavier. I like just using a hot glue gun to repair holes in decoys, quick and easy and it hold real well. If you try the foam you need to drill a hole in the head so the air will have a place to escape as the foam expands. Otherwise you might have them blow up. If you have very many to do it will get kind of expensive , you can only do about 2 or 3 per can.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby thaner » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:06 am

Do some looking at foam first. Look for something that is closed cell; that will keep if from soaking up water. You will probably want low expansion type foam; it is easier to control and will be less likely to cause problems like cracking the decoy or causing it to loose shape. Window gap foam would probably be a good one to look at.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:43 am

I think that the floatation foam that they pour/blow into boats would be the best, even though I don't know how easy it would be to do. I don't think that it'll hold water like some of the insulating foam.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Return to Hunting Gear Forum