The how to of mudding a blind

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

The how to of mudding a blind

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:33 pm

I see every so often newer guys asking about mudding the blind. So lets cover this topic in some detail.

1st lets cover why to mud a layout blind. Part of the water resistence coating that manufacturers apply to the fabric, it has a sheen to it, and it may spook geese, thus the mudding of blinds, it greatly knocks down the sheen and makes the blind blend in much better to the natural surroundings when hunting.

Mudding the blind is just that, dirt and water mixed up to a soupy consistency. I use a broom to dip into the pail and brush it well into the fabric. I also mud the interior side of the doors.

Starting to apply the Mud.

All mudded.

Let it completely dry. Sometimes this will take a few hours if warm and windy, but could take a couple of days if cool and no wind. You can always use an osciallating fan in your garage/basement to speed up the process if you need to.

Brush off the excess dry mud only, it should be "dirty" yet. This is the end result.

Several related tips.

When hunting bare fields like beans, some guys will omitt the 4th step, and leave the blind real muddy to it blend in better. If hunting stubble or corn, generally the excess is brushed off.

Different soils. Some soils maybe be black, brown, yellow or even reddish color. Match the dirt in the field on your blind, especially if hunting minimal cover like a disced or bean field.

Spray paint and glossy areas first. Painting any conduit poles, shiny hardware, etc, just buy a can of tan flat spray paint to eliminate the shiny materials. You may be asking yourself, why? It is becuase sometimes we forget to close the doors when retrieving geese and new birds come in, no sense flaring them for the other guys, or sometimes during early season it is warm out and the doors are open, and some geese bust us--if you close the doors they may flare off, so remain motionless. Again any shiny metal, etc.. they may see that, and thus painting it gives you a chance that they may not flare off.

I hope this helps better explain this for you guys. Good hunting. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:14 pm

Good post :thumbsup:
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:00 am

Nice pics, thanks a lot
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:03 am

well done :thumbsup: i haven't heard of doing that before
BurnZ
hunter

Postby cinrds » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:44 pm

Thank you no has told about doing that.
Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst. John 6:35
cinrds
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:01 pm

It came on my blinds instructions. Avery Power Hunter. Bur instead of brushing it off i rinsed it all off. Probably why its still sorta shiny.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:36 am

H2O
Good post. :salude:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:49 am

Good write up, thanks for the time and effort. :salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Thanks for the pic's

Postby Muzzyinbambi » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:09 am

I just opened up my new GHG Ground Force. In the instructions it said to Mud the Blind. I was lost. Your post made it simple. Although my wife still can't understand why I just covered a brand new $220.00 piece of equiptment with mud.

Thanks again for the photo.

Take'em
Muzzyinbambi
hunter

Postby doane25 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:44 pm

nice post
doane25
hunter

Postby Minnesota » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:36 pm

I mudded two blinds last weekend and your pictures helped. One thing though - I found it much easier to apply the mud with a piece of old towel rather than a broom.
Minnesota
hunter

Postby NWiowaCutinGreen » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:51 pm

Nice pictures and directions, I did the same on my SUB blind and it looks great... Gluck with your field hunting!
NWiowaCutinGreen
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:12 am

A couple other points is that I've "misted" a couple of our layout blinds (prior to mudding them) with flat black spray paint which seemed to dull the new fabric's shine as well.

Also, when hunting bare/disced fields we found that taking a trenching shovel and quickly digging a 4-6" depression and placing the blinds into them plus banking the excess dirt up against them really helped conceal the profile.

Finally, when hunting sheet water we ditched the neotub idea as after getting in and out of the blinds a few times you usually have as much mud/water inside it to the point that we might as well have been laying out in water w/o a blind in the first place. This is further complicated by the fact that usually the underlying ground/mud is so soft that you tend to wallow out a depression so the mud/water/gunk accumulates around you even more. For those situations, we went to the solid plastic (Otter Outdoors "Predator") layout blinds as they are canted down (head to foot) so the debris/water settles at your feet plus when it gets loaded up with the stuff we simply pick them up and dump the slop out which makes for a much more enjoyable hunt.
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:51 pm

This is one reason I will always buy the slightly cheaper field brown models rather than the camo. I just spray paint a couple of black and tan stripes on the top and side and mud it. I always though it defeated the purpose of buying the camo model and them hiding the camo with dirt.
phutch30
hunter

Good comments

Postby 2blklabs » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:20 am

Great feed back everyone. So glad someone told me about this site. I am getting answeres to questions I have been wondering about for years. No more finding out the hard or expensive way. Thanks everyone from a Yankee in Wisconsin.
2blklabs
hunter

Postby chase83 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:27 pm

did mine worked perfect... i used my hands and really rubbed it in... let sit for a few days and had to use a brush to get it off....no shine though.... thanks
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby Minnesota » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:45 pm

Fred Zink now suggests misting the blind with a camo spray paint prior to mudding. Apparently they switched fabrics a while back to a polyester that will rinse clean if it gets wet. The paint will stick to it without any problems and the mud and dirt then sticks to the paint.
Minnesota
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:09 pm

Thanks for the directions they really help for a younger waterfowler :thumbsup:
duckschooler
hunter

Postby MstWntd » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:50 pm

Thanks for the tips!
MstWntd
hunter

Postby Ned S » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:20 pm

On the Khaki layouts you can use a steel brush to do the same however it is time consuming. I would mist and steel brush both. Then use the approriate colored Killer Weed. Ned S the young 79 yr old who will be hunting corn stuble tomorrow.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby shootnmiss09 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:15 pm

I know this a old post, but i just saw it for the first time a few days ago. Thanks for the help, i will be using your tips this summer when i mud my layout for the first time.
~I'd Rather be Hunting~
shootnmiss09
hunter

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:55 am

Man that looks good. :thumbsup:
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Re: The how to of mudding a blind

Postby 1FowlHNTR » Mon May 18, 2009 1:59 pm

why on earth would you cover perfectly good camouflage with MUD???? Just joking...great how-to first time I tried doing mine I just mixed up a soup and threw it on there...not a good result to say the least...this will make it easier!
SERVICE MEMBERS....If you do not want to stand BEHIND US, feel free to stand IN FRONT OF US...
NRA LIFE MEMBER
DELTA WATERFOWL MEMBER
DUCKS UNLIMITED MEMBER
DUCK COMMANDER "DUCKAHOLICS" MILITARY MEMBER
REFUGE RAT MILITARY MEMBER
1FowlHNTR
hunter

Postby Sir Big Spur » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:28 am

nice post man! very helpful too :thumbsup:
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips.
Sir Big Spur
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:20 pm

This may have already been mentioned...but...

Instead of mudding, get some of the Khaki Krylon camo spray paint and paint the outside of your blind. Just hold about 18" away from the blind and you get a great alternative to mudding which is alot more time consuming.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum