looking to get a g.p.s.

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

looking to get a g.p.s.

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Fri May 05, 2006 10:38 pm

i am thinking of getting a gps for when i go hunting so i can mark my blinds etc...could you send me some links for some and i don't need anything fancy just something CHEAP but effective
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri May 05, 2006 11:00 pm

I bought this last year. I love it. I would recomend getting a colored screen. I have friends who have the black and white ones and they don't like them, to hard to read. I use mine often, a lot of times for driving directions.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 4887&Nty=1
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby choclab » Sat May 06, 2006 5:03 pm

For about a 100.00 dollars less you can get a Garmin Rhino. They are built tough and have a built in radio. If you have a friend who has one you can see his location too. I use mine for everything.

Heres a link http://www.garmin.com/products/rino120/
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat May 06, 2006 5:10 pm

I looked at getting one of those choc. Most of my hunting buddies already had a gps, so they weren't going to be buying one of those anytime soon.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby choclab » Sat May 06, 2006 5:43 pm

My bro-inlaws have them and my father-inlaw is getting one too. I got mine for b-day present. It worked out pretty good..lol :thumbsup:
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby DaveMD » Mon May 08, 2006 7:02 am

I have the Garmin Rhino with a color screen. It is very nice. I have the blue charts package on it and the detail amazes me. It is water proof, durable, and the battery last for several days with out a charge.
DaveMD
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Mon May 08, 2006 11:37 am

I just have an e-trex. It is cheap, simple, and has everything I need.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby Wild Wings 1 » Tue May 09, 2006 12:18 pm

I have had a set of the Garmin Rhino's and they are an absolute disappointment!! You pay an arm and a leg for something that is a wonderful idea! You think "this is going to be the ticket"! Do I have news for you! The radio will not work worth anything over 100 yds away even in an AR rice field! Yes, I've tried the GMRS & FRS settings and everything! The only good thing about them is they have a GPS built in, that's it...they have one built into a "radio"...and not a very good one I might add. You are are also supposed to be able to find whoever has the other one as long as you "ping" each other or whatever, well, guess what? That doesn't work well either. My father and I were standing right next to each other and we were "supposedly" a 1/2 mile apart according to this so called wonderful piece of technology! I've called Garmin SEVERAL times and they don't know what's wrong with them. I bought them at Bass Pro and of course they didn't know what was going on either!! I have the Garmin GPS IV or whatever and it works great. The Rhino's are a RIP OFF!!! Save yourself the time, heartache, and b.s. and go get some high powered walkie talkies. Or if you interested in just a GPS, get anything besides the Rhino b/c you would be wasting your money not only on things you don't need, but things that don't work!
Wild Wings 1
hunter

Postby choclab » Tue May 09, 2006 12:32 pm

I have never had a problem. The radio works father away than 100 yards for me and my bro-inlaws. The "ping thing works great. You probably didn't wait till it was done searching for sats.
choclab
hunter

Postby Wild Wings 1 » Wed May 10, 2006 7:40 am

No, I waited for it to get done seaching for sat's just like any GPS unit! I get the same response from everyone that they don't understand why mine don't work like they are supposed to. Oh well, maybe I just got a pair of dud's or something. All I know is mine are worthless! I got some high powered radios from a guy who deals motorola radios to FEMA and they work great! If I need a GPS I use the Garmin GPS IV, but the radios are mainly what I use now. My buddy however just got a Lowrance or something. It's camo, has a color screen, and much easier to use than my Garmin. It seems like the Garmin's have so much crap built into them it makes them somewhat cumbersome. And the screen's are usually small as well.
Wild Wings 1
hunter

Postby thaner » Wed May 10, 2006 10:44 am

See if you can find someone with one and see if you have only one bad unit. Then you can get it repaired. If you know someone with a just a radio you can at least check for that.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby kms399 » Tue May 16, 2006 11:06 pm

i personaly like the lowrance i finder H20. it is cheap at 169.99 will do just about anything a 400 dollar unit will do. it is easy to run. you can buy lake map chips ( the minnesota lakemaster chip is $100 and you get 266 lakes) you just pop the chip in and it loads itself and is very accurate. it is water proof and floats. saves 1000 waypoints and 50 routes. runs on two aa batteries and you get about 15 hours of run time with decent lithium batteries.
i have never liked garmin because they make all their money in aviation and their recreation units tend to be a bit behind the times. magellan is also a little behind. they tend to be a little slower in picking you up. i have had it take anywhere from 2 to 15 minutes to pick me up.

sorry for the lengthy post but i work at gander mountain and i go through this discussion about 10 times a day.

what ever you get make sure you get out and use it before you take it out hunting.
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby doogie494 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:00 pm

i have a Rino 120. Never had a problem with it. i think it is because i constantly update it through Garmins website.
Doug

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:26 pm

We us a Lowrance I-Finder h20. A GPS is your best friend at 4am, when you are trying to weave your way through a river channel full of stumps and trees. We created a waypoint track through the river channel, in the day time, and at night, you can set it to take you back through the waypoint. Really comes in handy!! Me and my buddy took our boat to a lake that we have never hunted, he downloaded the map of the lake on the GPS and we were able to find a great hunting hole. :salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:29 am

kms399 wrote:i personaly like the lowrance i finder H20. it is cheap at 169.99 will do just about anything a 400 dollar unit will do. it is easy to run. you can buy lake map chips ( the minnesota lakemaster chip is $100 and you get 266 lakes) you just pop the chip in and it loads itself and is very accurate. it is water proof and floats. saves 1000 waypoints and 50 routes. runs on two aa batteries and you get about 15 hours of run time with decent lithium batteries.
i have never liked garmin because they make all their money in aviation and their recreation units tend to be a bit behind the times. magellan is also a little behind. they tend to be a little slower in picking you up. i have had it take anywhere from 2 to 15 minutes to pick me up.

sorry for the lengthy post but i work at gander mountain and i go through this discussion about 10 times a day.

what ever you get make sure you get out and use it before you take it out hunting.

Actually they claim it to be waterproof but a tester from field and stream held it under a water foset (sp) for like 5 seconds i think he said and it didnt work after that.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby VTduckman » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:02 am

i have a garmin e-trex, but would like something you could download topo maps to.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:50 pm

GB,
Ours has taken a lot and I mean a lot of water. Been in the rain and also been dropped into muddy water...still works great!!
It is very accurate, when driving through the waypoints, it has accuracy of + or - 1 foot. Saves us from hitting stumps that we cant see in the dark, even with lights!! :salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Central FL Mike » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:27 pm

Does the Lowrance I-Finder H2O show your speed? I read the info on a web site and it did not mention it. It sounds like a good peice of equipment if you want to use it on the road, in the woods or on the water, especially if you go to a lot of different places.
Gravity, It's not just a good idea. It's the LAW!
Central FL Mike
Newb

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:50 pm

Yes it does...pretty accurate as well. We just bought a new one...we decided to go with the I-finder Hunt color. It has all the bells and whistles on it.....does everything the h20 does and more, not to mention a color screen.

I would get the Hunt color if I were you......buy a good one the first time....don't go cheap on them, they are a very useful tool. :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby quackstacker » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:13 pm

Get A Garmin GPS Map 60. It works great and I couldn't be any happer with it. It has came in handy many times since this past summer. Cost is around $250.00
quackstacker
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:54 pm

Garmin etrex. Little yellow GPS, costs around $100. Simple to use, does everything you'll need. Always carry 2 extra AA batteries in your jacket pocket.
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:57 pm

bill in san jose wrote:Garmin etrex. Little yellow GPS, costs around $100. Simple to use, does everything you'll need. Always carry 2 extra AA batteries in your jacket pocket.

Wouldn't recommend the etrex when navigating a boat through the sticks and stumps. The etrex is only accurate within 15 feet and operates on old technology. The more expensive GPS's are WAAS compatible, which makes them extremely accurate. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAAS ).....Sorry, I am an electronics freak. :thumbsup:

:salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby bill in san jose » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:51 pm

I don't use the GPS for navigating a boat where absolute accuracy may be required. He originally posted he was lookng to use the GPS to mark hs bllnfs, and even +/- 50 feet the eTrex would get you where you want to be.

Hunt hard, enjoy the technology. I'm in the semiconductor industry, my customers develop GPS chips and such.

Bill
bill in san jose
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:10 pm

Cool.....I was just throwing it out there, but yeah, the etrex is good if accuracy is not a priority. :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Captain16 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:16 am

I have an Etrex Legend and have been very happy with it. Accuracy wise I have seen it down to 7-8 ft. It's been working great, no issues, does a very good job, plus you can download maps to it. I believe I paid $150 for mine. I would highly recommend it. :thumbsup:
Captain16
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum