waterproof bag

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

waterproof bag

Postby Heather » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:53 pm

I have a problem with my shells getting wet and rusting. The shells then jam my gun-which just ruined my opening morning hunt. I can't stand this. Is there any way to keep the shells dry? In a waterproof bag or something? I've tried ziplocks and they don't work. Thanks!
Heather
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:55 pm

I have a blind bag that is waterproof. I keep the boxes in there. then I usually have a full box of shells loosely in my coat and waders. So they are quick to reload. Of course the coat, waders, and blind bag is water proof...

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:43 pm

I hunt while wading alot and wear a neopreme shell belt around my waist and sometimes it is completely under water. Don't really have a problem with the shells rusting though. Maybe it's cuz I shoot em all before they have a chance to! :yes: Got a avery blind bag and it keeps them dry along with everything else.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby buster_22 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:31 pm

Hey if you want to keep you shells completly dry, use a dry bag. There used for camping, I use one when I go duck hunting to put shells, or a change of clothes anything I want to keep dry. They really work and very cheap. Hope that helps. :getdown: :getdown: :getdown: :getdown:
buster_22
Pro Hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:33 pm

heather they make dry boxes for shells here is a link. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
keep the lid shut except for getting shells. when you get home bring the shell box inside. open it up to let it dry out in case any moisture has got inside.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BLUE DUCK » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:26 pm

I have used Federal Premium and Winchester Supreme and both types of shells rust and the primers corrode. I have recently started using Remington Nitro Magnums and they pattern very well never corrode or rust even after being left in wet waders over several days and I haven't had a single one misfire.
BLUE DUCK
hunter

Postby NS39340 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:36 pm

put em in a plastic bag
NS39340
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:57 am

I have one of the army ammo boxes and it works great. I even sprayed it camo with cattail camo. I flipped my canoe on monday and it floated great with 3 boxes of shells in it. All the leaf trash that has collected in the bottom from hunting this season was still bone dry.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:33 am

Put everything you need in a five (5) gallon plastic bucket w/ a lid. Best to get a black one - you can camo it or leave it. Get a white one also; use it in the winter. Cut the lower edge off of the lid so that you can push the lid down on the bucket w/o it sticking. These buckets are waterproof like crazy & will survive a beating from a dog (which I don't have) or a Scots/Irish temper (which I do have).
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Cooper » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:20 pm

winchester drylocks...don't rust, won't jam, can shoot...
Cooper
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:05 pm

Just dry them when you get home and try using those Winchester Dryloks.
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum