I know it's been beat around but... Layout Blinds.

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

I know it's been beat around but... Layout Blinds.

Postby Boomn4x4 » Mon May 15, 2006 1:57 pm

I know this topic has been beat around the block a few time (it's not like I'm debating illegial immigration or something) but there are a few specifics I'm looking for

I have been tossing this around for quite sometime now. I am buying a layout blind in the next couple of weeks. I have not tried any of them out or even seen one up close and in action. In all the forums I have read and the posts I have seen three possible choices. The FA Eliminator, the FA X-Land'r and Avery Finisher.

From what I've read the Eliminator and the Finisher are very equivalent but the Eliminator is more expensive, I think I have ruled out the Eliminator.

So it seems, but I can be persuaded differently if some one can demonstrate why the Eliminator is a better choice, that I have two options.

I like the spring loaded doors on the Finisher, but I also like the backpack utility of the x-land'r. I think I'm leaning towards the Finisher, but I have read that there are some quality problems with the Avery products. Are the FA products built that much better? I've read the Avery uses plastic parts, but I've also heard that those claims are false. Also I know the x-lander is more mobile that the Finisher, but is it that much more mobile. Can you really fit 4 doz silo's and carry two guns on the x-lander? From the pictures the Finisher seems quite mobile, and the web site says with pratice you can set it up in under 40 seconds.

We haul most of our equipment in a pickup, and will often leave our spread setup in the field. I drive a Jetta and often change into my camo at work and stop at the field on my way home in the evening for a quick hour hunt. Will I be able to carry these blinds in my truck, backseat, or foleded down back seat if needed? The dimentions I have read indicate yes.

I'm 6'00 190 so I don't think my size is much of a concern
Last edited by Boomn4x4 on Mon May 15, 2006 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon May 15, 2006 3:02 pm

I have both the Xlander and the Finisher. The Xlander is my main blind and it is beat around pretty hard. I have had nothing break, bend, rip or tear on it. The Finisher is a backup, and IMO is not built near as well as the Xlander, and I know there is no way it can take the beating the Xlander has.

The FA is also much lower profile, although the Avery is a bit roomier. However, the Finisher hurts my back on long hunts.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Mon May 15, 2006 3:35 pm

Since you brought it up..... about the finisher hurting your back..... My dad is planning on purchasing one also. Any advice from you more "seasoned" hunters. He's 55 and dosen't seem to have any real mobility problems (yet), but is there one blind that is more comfortable than. I'd hate for him to have to end his hunt early because he is uncomfortable
Boomn4x4

Postby puddlerjumper » Mon May 15, 2006 3:50 pm

I hunt the heck out of my finisher, and it's held up well. Avery's parts are just fine, even if you beat em around. I dunno, I don't do body slams into my blinds, but everything has held up well. The spring loaded doors can be added to any blind if you have half a brain and a few 16" bungee cords. The finisher folds up more compact than any of them, and it is less expensive, so for me, the finisher is the only way to go.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Mon May 15, 2006 4:42 pm

The spring loaded doors..... do they open automatically such as by pulling a cord, or hitting a trigger, or are they simply spring assisted where you still have to push them open?
Boomn4x4

Postby puddlerjumper » Mon May 15, 2006 4:54 pm

It just means when you rise up and your chest hits them, they sling open and stay out of the way....
puddlerjumper
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum