Sitka's new waterfowl camo

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Sitka's new waterfowl camo

Postby GA_DrakeAssassin » Wed May 09, 2012 1:00 pm

I've seen a few adds for sitka's new waterfowl line. Looks kinda interesting. Using Gore's new optifade camo. Expensive as all get out though. What do you guys think?

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/waterfowl/

I can kinda see gore's intentions of the new digital camo pattern. The military has adopted it. But does it really have a place in the hunting world? Where camo is alot more terrain/environment specific?
GA_DrakeAssassin
hunter

Re: Sitka's new waterfowl camo

Postby aunt betty » Wed May 09, 2012 1:18 pm

The camo was designed to fool people who are looking through digital scopes.
I'm pretty sure that ducks don't have this technology (yet) so digital camo is not really a requirement.
It sure looks cool though. I wish I could afford to look cool.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby buckmeister » Wed May 09, 2012 4:21 pm

I think the camo patterns are great by optifade, its just too bad the only way you can get them is on sitka Gear.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Wed May 09, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm pretty sure that ducks don't have this technology (yet) so digital camo is not really a requirement.

While the millitary aquired the digital camo to defeat night vision it also works well for the naked eye. The optifade was also developed specifically for a deers eyes. The patterns pictured look to have good contrast of light and dark and slao have good earth tone colors so I think it has merit, its just Sitka gear is just too high priced for what I need to spend.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby GA_DrakeAssassin » Wed May 09, 2012 8:22 pm

buckmeister wrote:

While the millitary aquired the digital camo to defeat night vision it also works well for the naked eye. The optifade was also developed specifically for a deers eyes. The patterns pictured look to have good contrast of light and dark and slao have good earth tone colors so I think it has merit, its just Sitka gear is just too high priced for what I need to spend.

Very interesting. I figured it had to have some purpose. I agree with you, that it looks like it would perform great. Lets hope some other companies adopt it and offer it in a more reasonable price range.
GA_DrakeAssassin
hunter

Postby FowledReality » Wed May 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Beretta is supposed to be offering clothing in Optifade Marsh. Not sure on what all they'll have, but hopefully it'll be cheaper than the Sitka stuff. I have some of the Sitka for deer hunting. It does a darn good job of disappearing in the woods. The standard camo is a dark blob from a distance. The optifade stuff doesn't do that.
FowledReality
hunter

Postby GA_DrakeAssassin » Fri May 11, 2012 9:15 am

FowledReality wrote:Beretta is supposed to be offering clothing in Optifade Marsh. Not sure on what all they'll have, but hopefully it'll be cheaper than the Sitka stuff. I have some of the Sitka for deer hunting. It does a darn good job of disappearing in the woods. The standard camo is a dark blob from a distance. The optifade stuff doesn't do that.

Yea i saw that in the latest DU magazine. For some reason though i see Beretta's clothing being on the expensive side as well. Could be wrong though.
GA_DrakeAssassin
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri May 11, 2012 9:39 am

From what I hear from some of the guys at Avery who are into big game hunting, sitka makes the best gear on the market bar none. The price is outrageous, but it is supposed to last forever, which most clothing on the waterfowl market falls apart in a year. Will I be purchasing any, no way, but from what I understand, you get what you pay for with this company.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby duckman2525 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:30 pm

I'll stick with my solid color browns and greens...havent let me down yet and my mcalister stuff never seems to wear out :thumbsup:
If it don't have a green head...it's not a duck!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby simplepeddler » Fri May 11, 2012 5:04 pm

It is high priced........but so was my Columbia Parka.......twenty years ago.
500 over a decade of being comfortable is not a bad investment.

I don't look cool anymore in my old parka.......so maybe it's time.
simplepeddler
hunter

Postby eburgsnake » Wed May 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Cool stuff, but for a guy like me it would blow the whole hunting budget for the year. More power to the guys that can afford it.
waterfowlman wrote:A game hog.......... is a game hog........is a game hog.
Folies will soon be appearing in a park holding waterfowl near you.
eburgsnake
hunter

Postby archerykid13 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:31 am

I bought some of the base layers from Sitka last year as well as from First Lite. And they both performed flawlessly in the field. I think for the money the First Lite stuff is better just because they were better insulaters than the Sitka gear and they were more durable than the Sitka. I got rips in the Sitka after the first hunt whereas the First Lite still looks good. My pockets are nowhere near deep enough to spend 400 bucks on some camo. I might pick up a pair of the pants in the Optifade Forest since I'll make around 17000 bucks this summer. Also, if anyone wants some base layers, I'll sell my Sitka gear cheap size XL.

Jake
archerykid13
hunter

Postby Dan Mallia » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:38 pm

I've been a big fan of Sitka's Big Game line of gear and was excited to hear they'd decided to enter the waterfowl clothing arena.

Stopped by Scheels in Reno yesterday and they had a few pieces of the Sitka Waterfowl stuff out. Stuff looks great, solidly put together and fits well. The pieces I tried on had that low weight/no bulk/high warmth feel to them.

I'm looking forward to running this system this year.

Here's another good video on many of the variuos pieces in the Sitka Waterfowl gear line:

http://www.sitkagear.com/blog/2012/07/1 ... l-101.aspx
Dan Mallia
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:53 pm

It's impressive technology. I don't really think it's any better. Waterfowl eyes are sharp and many. The game isn't hiding in plain sight but hiding in a well-hidden blind or pit. If you built your blind right, you can wear cotton-duck brown carharts and kill waterfowl.

Even in timber by the time they can see you, it's too late. Keeping still is way more important than any brand of camo. They all are good. I like the modern waterproof materials or I'd still be wearing old school green and brown blob army camo.

Something about camo that is backwards is that it works better on sunny days. HUH?
Let me re-phrase. The duck's eyes work better on cloudy days. Less glare from the sun and water.
Keep that in mind next time you are hunting and it's cloudy. They see you better then. That seems backwards but is true.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:10 pm

I have a buddy that is a hunting rep and used to sell sitka gear........ they dropped sitka gear because their gear quality went down hill big time and they've since picked up true timber and have always had badlands packs (now in the clothes game) and they are much higher quality than sitka and much cheaper!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby CutEm214 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:11 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I have a buddy that is a hunting rep and used to sell sitka gear........ they dropped sitka gear because their gear quality went down hill big time and they've since picked up true timber and have always had badlands packs (now in the clothes game) and they are much higher quality than sitka and much cheaper!

I know you see a ton of the Sitka gear pop up on Camofire.com just about every week for 1/2 off retail. I don't think it sells enough and its too expensive to keep in inventory. Probably a longer list of dealers that have dropped the line than are currently carrying it. Just what I've seen...
CutEm214
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:53 pm

I see what you're saying, and thats a big part of it I bet.

I texted my buddy today and told him that the new sitka waterfowl stuff was sweet, and he replied back with how they've gotten cheaper with materials and QC had went down.... he said anymore its largely over price for what you're getting. he suggested that I go with true timber or Cabela's. better gear at 1/3 the price.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Tipsntails7 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:33 pm

I can't speak for recent quality because I havnt purchased anything from them in a while but their customer service for me is top notch, I blew out a leg zip in a pair of my rain pants during elk season last year. They next day aired me a brand new pair before they even got my pair I had sent, they said don't worry about it and good luck on the hunt. And I also met Matt recently at the Oregon waterfowl festival and he was nothing but top notch. Answered all my questions and even let me try on his own personal gear to see how it fit. For these reasons alone I will be buying sitka again. Are they expensive yes. But if you have the money it is money well spent. And I will always pay a little more for quality products backed up by quality people.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:39 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I see what you're saying, and thats a big part of it I bet.

I texted my buddy today and told him that the new sitka waterfowl stuff was sweet, and he replied back with how they've gotten cheaper with materials and QC had went down.... he said anymore its largely over price for what you're getting. he suggested that I go with true timber or Cabela's. better gear at 1/3 the price.

Weird that Kuiu popped up after Sitkas QC went down... same owner/founder correct?
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Postby Call'em N » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Tipsntails7 wrote:I can't speak for recent quality because I havnt purchased anything from them in a while but their customer service for me is top notch, I blew out a leg zip in a pair of my rain pants during elk season last year. They next day aired me a brand new pair before they even got my pair I had sent, they said don't worry about it and good luck on the hunt. And I also met Matt recently at the Oregon waterfowl festival and he was nothing but top notch. Answered all my questions and even let me try on his own personal gear to see how it fit. For these reasons alone I will be buying sitka again. Are they expensive yes. But if you have the money it is money well spent. And I will always pay a little more for quality products backed up by quality people.

Tipsntails - Don't know your real name, but I truely appreciate the comments!

Also just to clarify some misnomers that have been stated: We at Sitka are NOT using "Cheaper" materials. We are actually using the Best Gore materilas available along with the best Marrino wool available. In regards to Customer Service..I would put ours up against everyone in the buisness!

Matt Brimmer
Sitka Athlete and Waterfowl Prostaff Director
Last edited by Call'em N on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call'em N
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Matt, the names Eric, and I met you at the Oregon waterfowl festival. It was great talking with you and the guy from DSD.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Bucyrus » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:19 pm

I was up at Rogers last weeknd and got to see the whole Sitka line. Its impressive stuff ,my pick was the Duck Oven. I seems like it is going to work by itself or as an insulation layer under a waterproof shell. Just my 2 cents.
A Waterfowler's passion does not end with the season. A Waterfowler lives, sleeps and breathes for the hunt-Not necessarily the kill. They love what they do, respect what they harvest and NEVER GET ENOUGH! WaterfowlAddiction.com
Bucyrus
hunter

Postby Call'em N » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Bucyrus,
You are correct. The Duck Oven and the Kelvin jackets can be used as stand alone Jackets. Unfortunatly they are not Waterproof and will require a Waterproof Shell such as the Pantanal Park or Delta Jacket to keep you dry.

Matt Brimmer
Call'em N
hunter

Postby mitchmc » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:13 pm

good looking stuff
YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby Bret Ayers » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:10 pm

What really caught my attention about the Optifade Marsh pattern was the time and study put into it! Check out this link about the "Science of Nothing". Made me look at things from a whole different perspective!
Seems to me that Sitka has put in the same time and effort in designing their gear. Great combo!
http://vimeo.com/44956428
Bret Ayers
Newb

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum