Home-made Ice eater

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Re: Home-made Ice eater

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:57 pm

I plan on using a generator, battery charger, and a battery.
That way I can shut down the generator while we are actually hunting. I'm betting a battery will only last 2 or 3 hours at full blast. Maybe a bit more. Will need a second battery.

It's not always icy where I hunt and when it gets icy is only lasts a few days usually.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:01 pm

guywithhat wrote:any idear how long she'll run for on a single charge of a marine battery? I've been thinking about building one for some time now... I am guessing when you wired up the motor you scrapped the throttle controls so the motor is gonna be goin full bore

Motor has three speeds and the controls had 4 wires. Each wire is for a different speed except for the ground. I can make it run slow or fast if I get the right switch.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:34 am

guywithhat wrote:any idear how long she'll run for on a single charge of a marine battery? I've been thinking about building one for some time now... I am guessing when you wired up the motor you scrapped the throttle controls so the motor is gonna be goin full bore

Can you get some sort of rheostat to mount at the battery to control the speed? Also, you could have used some 3" or so peices of 1/2" plastic water line between your 3" and 10" pipe on threaded rod to keep the 3" centered instead of nuts.

Keep the ideas coming guys. I have 2 big trolling motors with bad control boards. Been bouncing this idea around a couple years. You have to be careful with your batteries in the real cold weather. If they go dead they'll freeze. If they freeze they're toast. A generator with a DC outlet or an inverter to DC power would be ideal.

Edit: I guess I should've read the second page before I posted this. :fingerhead:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:21 am

I have thought up a few questions and maybe someone can answer them.
I'd like to know how you rate a trolling motor for horsepower. The always have pounds of force.
Converting pounds of force to watts or horsepower?

Pounds of force is NOT a rate while watts and horsepower are. The trolling manufacturers seem to have found their own way of defining how powerful a motor is. The entire rest of the world uses horsepower.
aunt betty
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:43 am

Got to Love a guy that thinks outside the "Box" my hat is off to you, It would have been alot easier to go and buy one, but this is what duck hunting is about. :thumbsup:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby OrvilleGonzales » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:33 am

woodysniper wrote:You could possibly do something like this guy did. http://iawaterfowlers.com/36712/home-made-ice-eaterIt's an idea that might work, if you don't have a power source or a generator, a solar panel could be the way to go in order to keep your batteries charged. How long do you plan to run it?

It seems like pretty effective thought to keep the batteries charged.. I will consult an expert person and then take the final call.
OrvilleGonzales
Newb

Postby duckdozer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:13 pm

AB the pics are dead, any chance of reviving them? How has it held up?
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 59
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum