Sitka gear

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Sitka gear

Postby jmichaels » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:43 am

Anyone wear sitka gear. The company.looks.legit. i think it wohld be effective. Overall company rating.from anyone who.uses.it. appreciated.
jmichaels
hunter

Re: Sitka gear

Postby Abomb » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Seriously? There is already 3 threads on Sitka, on the first freakin page. Since Sitka has been around for quite a while, a little google would give you a ton of answers on this.
Abomb
hunter

Postby vedste » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Sitka is a 10 out of 10! Sitka has been around for the past 7 years. They have put together a quality product that is geared for the elements. Its been fun to be able to see the difference between the gear I was using (cotton pants, hush hide jackets, things like this), to the the now sitka system that I wear every time I go out. The gear is durable while providing comfort that I have never experience when in the field. I would recommend sitka to anyone who is looking at taking the next step into quality hunting gear.
vedste
Newb

Postby buckmeister » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:35 pm

I dont own Sitka, but it looks way overpriced as compared to a Bass Pro or Cabelas Wader jacket, more than double the price.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 pm

buckmeister wrote:I dont own Sitka, but it looks way overpriced as compared to a Bass Pro or Cabelas Wader jacket, more than double the price.

Is a Ferrari over priced compared to a Ford Focus? I mean, they both can get you to the market?
I bought a Sitka vest last year when they were on close-out. Its incredible.
You can go through this forum and see post after post of guys complaining about leaking jackets, and torn waders. I know its not in everyones budget starting off, but save your money and buy the best gear you can afford. It will last you a lifetime, or until you get too fat to wear it and in the long run, save you money. I have some Cabelas gear, and I have no problem with it, I certainly like it a lot more than my Drake stuff, but to compare it to Sitka gear, Columbia, UA, or the other top of the line stuff is crazy, IMO.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Dan Mallia » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:17 am

I haven't had any issues with any of the Sitka Gear I be been abusing the last two years. I use a Traverse Zip-T, Duck Oven and Delta depending on the day/weather. The neck gaiter is another great piece of equipment.

I know a lot of folks are concerned with the price, but I don't skimp on my comfort. Over the years I've used every company imaginable in regards to clothing and they under performed when I needed them most(became sponges when wet, didn't retain heat, etc.).

I can't say that in regards to my Sitka gear.
Dan Mallia
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:12 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:
buckmeister wrote:I dont own Sitka, but it looks way overpriced as compared to a Bass Pro or Cabelas Wader jacket, more than double the price.

Is a Ferrari over priced compared to a Ford Focus? I mean, they both can get you to the market?
You can go through this forum and see post after post of guys complaining about leaking jackets, and torn waders. I know its not in everyones budget starting off, but save your money and buy the best gear you can afford. It will last you a lifetime, or until you get too fat to wear it and in the long run, save you money. I have some Cabelas gear, and I have no problem with it, I certainly like it a lot more than my Drake stuff, but to compare it to Sitka gear, Columbia, UA, or the other top of the line stuff is crazy, IMO.

At the end of the day, it's still Chinese made stuff and with their documentated reputation for sub-par QC and craftsmanship, it probably isn't a Ferrari, more like a Kia.

And, while it may be better than some of the other Chinese manufactured apparel, is charging European craftsmanship prices for it going to fly, with the market. Only time will tell.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:57 pm

Yuchi is actually 'head-over-heels' in LOVE for all this hi-tech Sitka gear.
He secretly dreams of owning a quality-built "duck Oven" every waking moment. To compensate, he crows about his love for wool and waxed cotton. Is that Egyptian-cotton or USA-cotton I wonder?
:wink:
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:58 pm

vedste wrote:Sitka is a 10 out of 10! Sitka has been around for the past 7 years. They have put together a quality product that is geared for the elements. Its been fun to be able to see the difference between the gear I was using (cotton pants, hush hide jackets, things like this), to the the now sitka system that I wear every time I go out. The gear is durable while providing comfort that I have never experience when in the field. I would recommend sitka to anyone who is looking at taking the next step into quality hunting gear.

X2.
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:31 pm

Tim Terrell wrote:Yuchi is actually 'head-over-heels' in LOVE for all this hi-tech Sitka gear.
He secretly dreams of owning a quality-built "duck Oven" every waking moment. To compensate, he crows about his love for wool and waxed cotton. Is that Egyptian-cotton or USA-cotton I wonder?

:beer:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:37 pm

Tim Terrell wrote:Yuchi is actually 'head-over-heels' in LOVE for all this hi-tech Sitka gear.

Timmy,

Leave it to you to blow my cover! :crying:

Of course, I want a full outfit of this high tech gear, so pain-stakingly handcrafted by five year-old chinese artisans!

However, I do fear that once the clock tolls midnight, my "duck oven" might actually turn out to be a tad underdone and then, once all the lipstick gets washed away, it won't be a pretty sight. :oops:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby kbooger » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:18 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:

I'd rather own my home outright and have a focus than the Ferrari. In much the same way I'd rather have some decent decoys and be able to afford other gear.

I can't say I've ever been uncomfortable. Sure cold but that was mostly because I was unprepared, not because of the gear.
kbooger
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:27 am

500 bucks for a Chinese rain slicker?

You can do just as well for about half the money.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby fowlplay56 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:10 pm

I will chime in. I'm a high country hunter (above treeline and the safety of vehicles) and know the importance of gear vs. clothing. (paid too much) The man that created sitka has modeled it after Mountain hardware and REI type garments with fabric and function at the utmost. However, he sold the company to GORE and started a new line KUIU. (If you hunt big game in hard elements I would recommend this stuff.) KUIU is only sold on his website and made by seamstres's in Canada with only the best material for the job. He has a damn video for almost every item that describes why its built the way it is and why its superior. Usually out of stock on the best garments.
That being said GORE did what they do and took it mainstream and therfore cut production costs by going to cheaper sources. If you have the older Sitka stuff its probably of higher quality then the new. I think the science behind the camo is cool but you'd never know unless you were really a duck. I would not pay more for sitka...because in the end the function of my camo in the duck blind doesnt call for it and I can shoot just as many ducks in carharts if I sit still and I can walk back to the truck and warm up or change clothes if necessary, or hell just go home.
The higher end stuff I reserve for the mountain hunts only because I want to pack in a few things (less is best) that wont stink after a few days and will keep me warm when rained on snowed on etc. (Merino, super down the works).
just my opinion...I dont like spending money on a name if I think its just that.
fowlplay56
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:34 am

Abomb wrote:Seriously? There is already 3 threads on Sitka, on the first freakin page. Since Sitka has been around for quite a while, a little google would give you a ton of answers on this.

x2... you can find my detailed thoughts on the other two Sitka threads. I own lots of it and love it. Yes it is expensive... but with so many deals out there on Sitka Gear, it is not as expensive as it initially looks.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum