hand warmers

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

hand warmers

Postby benellired89 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:14 pm

I am wondering if any one knows the name or the best brand to get for the hand warmers that are reusable and you activate them by pushing a penny like item inside of it and you recharge them with boiling water?
benellired89
hunter

Re: hand warmers

Postby noweil » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:17 pm

The ones I had were not very good. Disposable hand warmers work much better.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

hand warmers

Postby Podcast » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:38 pm

I use the zippo style. The kind ya just refill with lighter fluid. Works friggin awesome.
Stage 2 GTR rippin up a 1746 custom Mike Kliebert
Podcast
hunter

Postby Duckslayer19 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:55 pm

"The Heat Solution" is the brand I have. They get pretty warm for about 20-30 mins. I would carry a few with you depending on how often your hands get cold in a day. There's a few different brands to chose from but there all the exact same thing. Just don't buy one of those orange electric ones, they don't work at all.
Duckslayer19
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:34 am

I bought some South Bend hand warmers last year. They use a fuel stick you light and then close up in the warmer. They work great, get very warmer and last for hours, but they are tough to get lit sometimes. When I bought them Gander mountain had them on sale for 99 cents each and the fuel sticks were on sale for 99 cents per 10 pack....how can ya pass that up?
I tried the zippo style ones, but the fluid leaked out or evaporated, just like zippo's always did on me. When I could keep fluid in them they worked great. I got tired of the disposable ones not working. I would say that 90% of the ones I bought either did not work or barely put out any heat.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby deepmarsh1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:50 am

ZIPPO !!!!!!!! The best thing you can have when hunting. Fill it up right when you wake up and it will get so hot that if you take it out of the bag, it can actually burn you. It will last all day long. It's the most important thing in the blind bag!
chris_k wrote:An expensive acrylic Duck Commander call is like a 1981 Buick Lesabre with a fancy paintjob and 22 inch rims. $ spent on the exterior ... Nothing to show for under the hood.
deepmarsh1
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Another Zippo fan here. Used to use Jon-E, but find the Zippos much less fussy about staying lit.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

hand warmers

Postby Podcast » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:37 pm

I know I said it but zippo really is the way ta go. Last fer 6-8 hours and darn cheap with alotta heat.
Stage 2 GTR rippin up a 1746 custom Mike Kliebert
Podcast
hunter

Postby coulterville33 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:12 pm

I use zippo. Love it
coulterville33
hunter

Postby petrel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:32 pm

zippo
petrel
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:57 pm

Chemical warmers that use dry powder...you take them out of a sealed bag and shake 'em. they stay hot for about 6 hours, but you may need 4 of them going at a time if you want both hands to stay warm in zero degree temps.....
mudpack
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:26 pm

mudpack wrote:Chemical warmers that use dry powder...you take them out of a sealed bag and shake 'em. they stay hot for about 6 hours, but you may need 4 of them going at a time if you want both hands to stay warm in zero degree temps.....

Trouble I found with those is that wet hands kill them.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:52 am

Rick Hall wrote: Used to use Jon-E,

Old School! I tried to buy a few of those a couple years ago. The people collecting them are crazy.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:24 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:
Rick Hall wrote: Used to use Jon-E,

Old School! I tried to buy a few of those a couple years ago. The people collecting them are crazy.

What you talkin' 'bout Willis!!??,..I ain't crazy :lol3:

1950s'

1960s'

I do enjoy the few I've collected, (and still use my original one from the 70s'), but as Rick mentioned the Jon-e can be a little temperamental when liting 'em.
But I've not ever had one go out unless it ran out of fluid though.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lckstckn2smknbrls » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:40 am

benellired89 wrote:I am wondering if any one knows the name or the best brand to get for the hand warmers that are reusable and you activate them by pushing a penny like item inside of it and you recharge them with boiling water?

I have the biz card of a guy in Chicago it's from several years ago I don't think he's in biz anymore. "Magic Hotties"
IIRC It's a potassium salt solution that gets to 160º.
lckstckn2smknbrls
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:51 pm

WOW!
I never thought we'd discuss this one.
I might still have a couple of the old-school hand warmers and I also still have a couple of the old-school catalytic heaters that run on camp-fuel. The kids that see them scoff and say something about CO poisoning as they shiver.

I WISH I could get hand-warmers with the sticks you light. To get twice as hot you lit both ends.

What I do when I get suffering is to break out them hot-hands™ things.
One in each glove.
One in each front pants pocket.
One in each shirt pocket. (had to search hard for a flannel shirt with two pockets.

Lot of blood veins in those areas (not hands).
Keeps me cozy-warm in sub-freezing temps while standing in a marsh with sideways snow or rain.
Nice little trick to have up your sleeve.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby rmh » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:12 pm

benellired89 wrote:I am wondering if any one knows the name or the best brand to get for the hand warmers that are reusable and you activate them by pushing a penny like item inside of it and you recharge them with boiling water?

I had a couple of those years ago, didn't really like them. I use the powdered chemical ones now although J bought me a Zippo last year I haven't used yet.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:52 am

aunt betty wrote:I WISH I could get hand-warmers with the sticks you light. To get twice as hot you lit both ends.

I've got one, with a couple of boxes of sticks, around here somewhere. I'll give it all to you if I can find it. Tried to use it once, years ago. Major PITA. No heat, stunk like crazy....
I have a Jon-E from the 1960's. Back then it worked, and was all we had. Today, the disposable chemical (shake-and-bake) are so effective and simple to use. Rick is right, though: get 'em wet and it's time for a new one. That's why I carry about four extra in my blind bag.
mudpack
hunter

Postby rmh » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:10 am

mudpack wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I WISH I could get hand-warmers with the sticks you light. To get twice as hot you lit both ends.

I've got one, with a couple of boxes of sticks, around here somewhere. I'll give it all to you if I can find it. Tried to use it once, years ago. Major PITA. No heat, stunk like crazy....
I have a Jon-E from the 1960's. Back then it worked, and was all we had. Today, the disposable chemical (shake-and-bake) are so effective and simple to use. Rick is right, though: get 'em wet and it's time for a new one. That's why I carry about four extra in my blind bag.

Only 4? I also carry a couple of those fold up foil space blankets, never had to use them but they're good to have if you're on the water and someone goes in.

Oldest son always has one of magnesium firestarters and flint and steel starter with him. He just carries a lot of crap around.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum