jerk string

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

jerk string

Postby GADKHNTR » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:22 pm

I remember a long time ago somebody drew a nice little picture using MSpaint of how they rigged up their jerkstring, but now I can't find the post. Any help here? Or other diagrams or suggestions? Thanks.
Daniel
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:26 pm

I rerember it. But i dont have a diagram. Easy enough though.

Take a decoy. Tie decoy strin on it. Slide the string through a brick or some weight. Throw it out. Weight sinks to the bottom. Pull string. Yep. :thumbsup:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:13 pm

If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:46 pm

LOL....nice :salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby ARDuckBuster » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:14 pm

:laughing: thats priceless
ARDuckBuster
hunter

Postby Penguine » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:15 pm

Where the heck you get my picture? :tounge:
Penguine
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:22 pm

He looks like hes ready to go dont he. I laughed when I saw it because opening morning of teal season 5 years ago we were in the blind waiting on shooting time and we started hearing splashing behind us. I went to the boat and turned the light on and these two guys had walked a creek up to the lake and were throwing out decoys about 30 yards behind my blind, the funny thing was that they both had on hunter orange caps and vests. :toofunny: We laughed so hard, then decided we should let them know that orange was not required for duck hunting.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Penguine » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:14 pm

Couldn't you leave out the second block?
Penguine
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:14 pm

lolz
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:23 am

I think the simplest design is with a plastic milk jug.

Fill the jug about 1/3 or so with sand. Remember, you have to carry it. When you get to your spot, fill the rest of the jug with water. Take the decoy, with string attached, and run the string through the handle and sink the jug. Walk the string back to shore and jerk away. :umm: :eek:

The reasons I prefer the milk jug are: (1) it is free, (2) it has a convenient carry handle, (3) the handle is smooth and won’t shred the cord, and (4) at the end of the hunt, empty the sand and water out of the jug, so it weighs almost nothing to carry out.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:41 pm

What about a jerk line with multiple decoys, one that would act like this one from cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:46 pm

What about it? What do you wanna know?

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Spiraleyes » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:58 pm

How to make one like that, where multiple decoys can be hooked up, and look like they're swimming when you release the line.
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:22 pm

Pretty much the same way. Thats what we do at the blind, normally will be a flock of about 8 just anchor each one and then run all your lines through the anchor block back to the blind.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:01 pm

:toofunny:

Those pictures are amazing!
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:11 am

That bottom right one resembles a wood duck....and the top left one kinda resembles a merganser. :laughing: :laughing:

Nice way to describe something though. :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:22 pm

So are those drakes or hens? :tounge:

I always wondered how to jerk multiple ones. I was guessing you just tied them together.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Spiraleyes » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:38 pm

I think I'll stop by cabela's and see what they have in their kits. I'll let you guys know if they have any type of magic ingredient
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby cooter » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:07 pm

I use 300# test Mono (Clear) line, which is tied to a piece of 5' Surgical Tube. I use a T-Post on the end as a anchor. Make a loop in the end of the Surgical Tube and slip it down to the bottom of the T-Post.

Quick Jerks on the string and the decoy will jump up and down, just like the 2 weight string. But what it does that the others don't. You can pull against the t-Post, I stretch the tubing sometimes as far as 10-15 feet. Now little jerks on the string make the decoy hop up and down in the water, then when I get them to looking, I let go of the string and the decoys shoot across the top of the water. Just like a Drake chasing a Hen. I have 5 snaps for decoys, but only use 2-3 decoys most of the time.

cooter
member of: Team GREEN
cooter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:22 am

Cooter makes a good point. The other advantage of the surgical tubing or a bungee is you can pull the string and put tension on it while the birds are at a point where they don’t see you move. Then you can simply release the string and create the motion while the ducks are coming right at your spread. Otherwise, you risk getting caught while jerking your string. :eek:

Running the decoy above a weight and bobbing it up and down seems to put out more water motion, but you better be still when they are over the top of you.

The tubing attached to a t-post allows you to literally move decoys while the ducks are looking.

Both have advantages. :salude:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:00 am

I really like the idea there of the surgical tubing. What do you make the T post out of, or where would I find one of those? thanks!
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby ARDuckBuster » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:23 pm

You can find t-posts at any farm supply or even home depot or lowes where they have the fence products
ARDuckBuster
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:34 am

A t post is just a regular steel post used for stringing wire. The same ones you see holding up the barbed wire fencing.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Spiraleyes » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:46 pm

gotcha :thumbsup:
Spiraleyes
State Moderator

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:13 am

They do make one similar, it's called the launcher and it's supposed to duplicate a flock of birds just landing. You can also use a heavy weight as an anchor instead of a stake. I'm going to do some experimenting this year, I like the idea of loading it up and releasing it at the right moment. I use Ace decoy weights and in the cold water the surigal tubing stretches out and dosn't go back to normal, it might do the same if I use it for the jerk system. Any of you guys run into that problem?
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum