Duck Hunting Forum banner

Drake Waterfowl Clothing

13K views 24 replies 24 participants last post by  revrat 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering what your overall opinions are with Drake's clothing? I'm looking to get a late season jacket and some waders that will keep me warm and dry in nasty weather. I mainly hunt river but occassionally will be goose hunting also. So, what waterproof jacket and waders would you guys recommend? I'm also digging the old school camo :) Thanks, Tom

#3 ·
I am a big fan of Drake gear. I have not had any experience with their waders but their jackets, pants, and thermal underwear are great quality and I have never had any issues.

I would agree with David though... my only issue with Drake stuff is that compared to other items such as Cabela's, it is a tad over priced. I have a lot of Cabela's stuff as well and it is really nice stuff as well. But I will disagree with David on that I prefer Drake over Cabela's. All in all, they are extremely close in quality imo though.

#8 ·
I bought the Eqwader MST jacket this year. Have used it twice in high 30-40 degree weather with considerable wind, no rain, but plenty of splash/spray. So far so good, its kept me warm and dry. The handwarmer pockets are nice and I like the magnet snap breast pocket. Also no hood, but the collar flps up high enough to cover my ears. There is no substitute for proper layering though- i wear a thermal base layer, a synthetic mid layer top and a merino wool sweater. Stay warm, stay dry!

#9 ·
I passed on Drake gear due to all the non waterproof claims and went with Cabelas 4 in 1 brush buster wading jacket and it is awesome. Wnt out in the rain yesterday didn't get a drop on me nice and warm too

#10 ·
I just bought a drake 4 in 1a parka 290 dollars kept it a week then returned it half a day out in the rain i was soaked felt like it would rip on anything it got hung up on an the stiching sucked so i orderd a cabellas dri fowl extreme 2. 4 in 1 parka an love it dri all day warm an feels tougher my only complaint it the hood fits a lil weird with a hat but with a beanie is fine. It was only 203 online and 220in shipped to my front door.

#11 ·
i had numerous problems with 3 different MST jkts.......sent back to Cabela's, luv summa the Drake features and finally got a MST w/o problems........snap shell pkts and magnets and neo cuffs are great ...............BUTTTT looks at Cabela's offerings, they NO longer carry any Drake Jkts, just the under jkt stuff..............gee wonder why........too many returns ....some is made like crap and some is OK........waterproof ..not!!!!

#13 ·
Get the cabelas ultimate waders with the 1600 gram boots. Fer a jacket get a Columbia Widgeon. It's $300 online and you will likely never need another jacket. I have the pre omni heat version and its awesome. My ole man had a Columbia fer 30 years. They are extreme quality.

#17 ·
I have several drake jackets and yes there may be some that are tougher or more waterproof, but as far as the waders go, they rock. I read all the bad wader reviews too but I also read the same stuff about the lacrosse. They are probably the most expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

#18 ·
I have a set of the mst waders ad I love them... I've had hodge man and lacrosse and to me drake beats it... I've walked in breakin ice a number of times and no leaks yet... And I am warm... I use the drake wader pants and also a mst 1/4 zip up wader jacket and I just bought the est wader jacket bc te mst jacket was gettin too hot if the weather was over 30 degrees... I use the duck blind pattern and it matches perfect... I haven't had the first bit of trouble out of mine at all... I recommend to everybody... Yes it's pricey but u pay for what u get... Their waders have by far been te most comfortable and warmest waders I have owned

#20 ·
I own the 4 in 1 LST jacket and the LST waders. Jacket has been awesome so far but the waders leaked in the crotch seam area. Unacceptable for $400 list price waders. I also own a Drake blind bag but haven't used it enough yet to offer a opinion. My overall feeling so far about Drake is great design and innovation but very poor build quality. Loose stitching is common in every garment or piece of gear that I own of theirs. Probably having a difficult time monitoring their foreign manufacturers.

#21 ·
Today I hunted in the driving rain, laying down in a layout boat with an inch of water in the bottom in my Equwader MST jacket. Not even a drop got through. After reading all the poor reviews, apparently I lucked out. Couldnt be happier with my jacket. Waders though? If Im going breathables, I wear the same Simms G3 convertables I wear for fly fishing. I have 4 years on them, including a full guide season in AK, and 3 duck hunting seasons. No leaks, no holes, nothing. Nada. Best waders I've owned. Period. Now if they would just start making them in camo...

#22 ·
Just like everyone else, same opinion, a couple cool features, but way over-priced, and a waterfowl jacket that doesn't like water is pretty useless IMO. I have the EST pull over and only wear it on days I know there is going to be no rain. Basically, I am just trying to wear it out to replace it. I much prefer the Cabelas gear in that price range, and if you are willing to spend more, the UA gear is awesome.

#23 ·
archerykid13 said:
I'd stay away from the Drake wader's. I read a lot of reviews and most of them were bad, just like the LaCrosse wader's I looked at. For a late season coat, I'd look at the Cabela's Dri-Fowl 4in1 Wading Jacket.

Jake
Have it, love it, would buy it again.

I also have the Cabela's Super Mag waders with the 1600 gram boots. Again, stellar performance and would recommend. There is a reason they are the highest rated waders on Cabelas.

#24 ·
Overall IMO drake has ok hunting clothing an equipment hoodies are good but can't handle a lot of rain, the waders are good if u don't use the shell holders in the chest put shells in them one time ripped small pinhole in the seam, the wader pants suck wore them twice and they tore in the crotch. Pricey for the quality of clothing you are actually getting.

#25 ·
I had a pullover rain top, and it leaked badly the first time it got wet. I bought their floating gun case, and the snap pulled out of the opening where my gun goes in the first time I opened it. One of my buddies had a pair of their waders that leaked from day one. The only thing I've got from them that I actually like is the heavy fleece 1/4 zip pullover. It's supposed to be waterproof on the top half, but I only count on it to keep me warm, not necessarily dry since I wear rain gear on top of it if it gets nasty out.

I'd avoid depending on any of it to keep you dry, and I won't buy it otherwise unless I get a really good deal on it, because that stuff is priced well above it's real value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.