GoPro question

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

GoPro question

Postby tknight006 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:51 am

For the gopro users out there.. What setting do you use to video your hunts?

1080, 960, 0r 720?
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Re: GoPro question

Postby Garand » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:54 am

Garand
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks
tknight006
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:57 am

720 so you can do 60fps. Allows you to do slow motion better.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby aaronoto » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Do you guys tape over the red recording light or should I not worry about it?
aaronoto
hunter

Postby Garand » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:36 pm

You can turn off the blinking lights in the options.
Garand
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:55 pm

So I was just given a Go Pro Hero - what am I going to do with it? Looking for ideas on where to put it. I am thinking on the front of my blind. Just mount it up in the middle, turn it on, and hope it records ducks getting hammered over the decoys. I don't think it's going going to catch much at a distance. Any advice? I haven't used it at all. 720 for slow motion. Thanks!

PS - from what I've seen on You-Tubes, when they're mounted on a shotgun and the gun is shot - it looks like the gun was shot. ha ha
AR Dave
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:38 am

AR Dave wrote:So I was just given a Go Pro Hero - what am I going to do with it? Looking for ideas on where to put it. I am thinking on the front of my blind. Just mount it up in the middle, turn it on, and hope it records ducks getting hammered over the decoys. I don't think it's going going to catch much at a distance. Any advice? I haven't used it at all. 720 for slow motion. Thanks!

PS - from what I've seen on You-Tubes, when they're mounted on a shotgun and the gun is shot - it looks like the gun was shot. ha ha

I actually mount mine high and behind me. The only issue I've had so far is if the blind isn't great, it shakes when we shoot or when "someone" jumps around too much in the blind. oh, and another issue, whenever its up, I never seem to shoot ducks. :lol3:
the best accessory you can get is a remote. When I am hunting big areas, I have plenty of time to turn it on before the ducks start working the spread. I keep it clipped to my lanyard, and just hit the record button when I go for the calls.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby ADF » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:20 am

I use one of these
camera mount.jpg
camera mount.jpg (17.56 KiB) Viewed 5235 times

With the tri-pod adapter you can get from Go-Pro. Its works pretty well mounted to the frame of my boat blind and sometimes I'll hook it in the mangroves behind the blind for a different perspective. I really want to hook it to the Mojo mounting poll but in one shot I could blast a $200 camera and $60 Mojo....haven’t had the guts yet. Also as far as a cover, I use and old camo T-shirt sleeve and cut a hole for the lens, I use rubber bands to hold it on, it works great.
ADF
hunter

Postby Basspond » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:57 am

I shoot in 720 60fps and occasionally in 1080.

I have the camera attached to the canvas tubing on my boat.

I have also been playing around with the head strap.

Basspond
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:28 am

I really need to get the remote...

I had the best shooting of my life this past saturday, and never once thought to turn the camera on... bummer
tknight006
hunter

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:04 am

The remote is on my Christmas list. It sucks letting it run the entire time, and it sucks trying to get it turned on when ducks are coming in.
shadowwalker
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 am

The little booklets reads: 720-60 = when max side-to-side view angle is desired but vertical viewing area is not as important, great for slow motion. 960-48 provides the widest top-to-bottom and side-to-side viewing area, great for slow motion. On the blind I'm focusing on, I think I want as much vertical as possible.

I played with it a bit and it worked great, for 10 secs. I'm' looking into the settings - must be set for 10-15 secs. Looks like we can pull single pictures off and post them. :smile: We should have a post "Your best GoPro Shot of the day" thread..

Battery is supposed to last 2.5 hrs, thought I'd just turn it on at shooting hours and leave it. If it really videos good shooting, I'll be all over that remote.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:24 am

I shoot in 720 60 with the headstrap. I don't use a remote, but carry extra batteries. Actually, I carry five batteries for a full days hunt sunrise and sunset and record every min. I use Wasabi batteries (around $9 a piece), which can be found on Amazon. Here is a link to the kit http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-AHDBT-001-AHDBT-002/dp/B005NC8BF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354036933&sr=8-1&keywords=GoPro+batteries

Individual batteries http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-AHDBT-001-AHDBT-002/dp/B005I6BSRA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1354036933&sr=8-6&keywords=GoPro+batteries.

For the camo shirt idea to hide the camera, I did an alternative and used skins on the camera that remove easily with a finger nail. The quality is excellent for the price and shipping is fast. I believe I paid around $8 for it. http://www.decalgirl.com/skins/GoPro-HD-Hero-Skins

Also, I purchased a case equivalent to an Otto Box, but specifically cut and designed for the GoPros. http://www.goprocases.com/

The internal mic blows, so I purchased an external mic that is attached at all times and is great. I use a skeleton case for the camera when it is not raining or snowing. http://pointofviewcameras.com/polar-pro-professional-microphone-gopro.html

Any one have any questions feel free to PM me.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks KillerKowalski good stuff. I'll try to read the directions before dumping a bunch of questions on you. :smile:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:39 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:For the camo shirt idea to hide the camera, I did an alternative and used skins on the camera that remove easily with a finger nail. The quality is excellent for the price and shipping is fast. I believe I paid around $8 for it. http://www.decalgirl.com/skins/GoPro-HD-Hero-Skins.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the Duck Blind skin for mine. I called rather than order online, and she gave a 25% discount. Ended up paying $7.24 and it will be here by next weekend.
tknight006
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Killer,

How many memory cards do you go through for a full days hunt?
tknight006
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Awesome on the skin! You won't be disappointed.

I use a 32GB and a 16GB that lasts ten hours on 720p. The GoPro Professional case has slots to store cards. I carry 3 32GBs just in case. I forget to delete the cards when I hunt days in a row.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby tknight006 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:58 am

To use the remote on the Hero2, Do i need the bacpac?
tknight006
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:08 am

Yes, you will.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby greenster » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:28 pm

I've been trying to figure out how to mount it on my gun. Guess I'll take mine out Try out head strap.. or mount to the boat somewhere.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby aaronoto » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:32 pm

greenster wrote:I've been trying to figure out how to mount it on my gun. Guess I'll take mine out Try out head strap.. or mount to the boat somewhere.

Gun mounts: http://www.captureyourhunt.com/
aaronoto
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:28 pm

Aaron is correct. The maker is a hunter himself so allow some time for delivery if you choose to order. His mounts are all custom made.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Quackacardia » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:30 pm

I have 2 of the Hero 3 Black editions. I'll echo what I read above about mounting them to the gun- DONT DO IT. Headstrap is much better, but even that jumps a bit when you touch ol' betty off. I shoot everything from the headstrap in 720-60fps. The black edition (and other versions of the Hero 3, I believe) has the wifi built in and comes with the remote (drains a battery in about an hour and change). I highly endorse using the remote, it makes things much much easier, but again, will effect your battery life. Also, depending on what you use for your post prod. I use Premier as part of my Adobe creative cloud and there is a great plug in for it called neat video, works great! I taped over my lights because while I can control the flashing red light, I cannot control the flashing blue wifi light. Oh and another thing- the wifi based app that lets you see what the camera is seeing via your phone/tablet (a major selling point they promote) doesnt work yet. Apparently it will be part of an update on Dec. 15th. They sure dont tell you that when they're taking your money! Best of luck with filming your hunts!
"Do not feel sorry for the man on his own. If he is one who plunges into all sorts of work, if he does not dawdle, if he does not dwell upon his aloneness, he will get many things done and have a fine time doing them." -Gordon MacQuarrie
Quackacardia
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:54 am

I got to play with my Hero 2 today at one of the duck blinds this morning. However, it turns off in 2 mins. I have a lot of 2 min video's. Please tell me how to get it to stay on continuously. Also seems like I have to hold the front button on a little long to start it. Do you just push it once and let off or do you have to hold it till it makes the tone? The tone sound didn't bother the ducks and they were right in front of the blind. My Alarm Clock even went off, on my phone twice, they heard it loud and clear, didn't bother them. ha ha
AR Dave
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum