GoPro question

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Re: GoPro question

Postby AR Dave » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:09 pm

AR Dave wrote:I got to play with my Hero 2 today at one of the duck blinds this morning. However, it turns off in 2 mins. I have a lot of 2 min video's. Please tell me how to get it to stay on continuously. Also seems like I have to hold the front button on a little long to start it. Do you just push it once and let off or do you have to hold it till it makes the tone? The tone sound didn't bother the ducks and they were right in front of the blind. My Alarm Clock even went off, on my phone twice, they heard it loud and clear, didn't bother them. ha ha

Found the problem with the start and stop button. Wrong one. :hammer: Was turning the camera on and off.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby aaronoto » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Quackacardia wrote:I have 2 of the Hero 3 Black editions. I'll echo what I read above about mounting them to the gun- DONT DO IT. Headstrap is much better, but even that jumps a bit when you touch ol' betty off. I shoot everything from the headstrap in 720-60fps. The black edition (and other versions of the Hero 3, I believe) has the wifi built in and comes with the remote (drains a battery in about an hour and change). I highly endorse using the remote, it makes things much much easier, but again, will effect your battery life. Also, depending on what you use for your post prod. I use Premier as part of my Adobe creative cloud and there is a great plug in for it called neat video, works great! I taped over my lights because while I can control the flashing red light, I cannot control the flashing blue wifi light. Oh and another thing- the wifi based app that lets you see what the camera is seeing via your phone/tablet (a major selling point they promote) doesnt work yet. Apparently it will be part of an update on Dec. 15th. They sure dont tell you that when they're taking your money! Best of luck with filming your hunts!

Just got the bacpac and remote for my Hero2 but haven't used yet. When you say it drains a battery in an hour are you talking about the remote battery?

Also, the phone app is working now, got everything hooked up no problem. Only problem is there about a 3 second lag between the camera and what the phone shows. Fine by me though, I just want to use it to see if my camera is adjusted OK.
aaronoto
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Might have found why my Hero 2 turns off in 2 mins. - hoping that the quality of SD Card my wife gave me to use, a #2, is the reason. Manual calls for a #4 minimum. I got the tone turned off, 2 blinks on the lights.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

I got it! Put a new 8 GB #6 Card in - didn't change a thing. Then I realized the thing wasn't charged up. OMG! My wife had changed USB cords, added an adapter so I could plug it in the wall. Well you'd think overnight would be long enough. Took that stupid adapter off, plugged it into the computer, and we're in business. Yep it needs a charged battery to work properly.... ha ha :hammer: And I missed videoing an awesome, in close, hunt last Saturday afternoon.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Basspond wrote:I shoot in 720 60fps and occasionally in 1080.

I have the camera attached to the canvas tubing on my boat.

I have also been playing around with the head strap.

What field are you here? Wide medium or narrow?
bttrym8
hunter

Postby Basspond » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:59 pm

bttrym8 wrote:What field are you here? Wide medium or narrow?

I was in wide for the first shots and medium for the head mount. I've upgraded to Hero3s for this season and use one mounted on my shotgun ammo cap in narrow and then one on my boat in wide. I do some pan and zoom in post production but I get some pretty decent footage.

http://youtu.be/PG1X4aWg2uo

http://youtu.be/IJZT6neqeTA
Basspond
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Basspond, first off, great shooting! Secondly, I think you would widely benefit from a external microphone. This is a long video of working Mallards shot with my Hero 2. Fast forward to the last minute or so. Listen to the audio quality. First triple I ever witnessed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNwO2egYrzY
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Basspond » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:08 am

KillerKowalski wrote:Basspond, first off, great shooting! Secondly, I think you would widely benefit from a external microphone. This is a long video of working Mallards shot with my Hero 2. Fast forward to the last minute or so. Listen to the audio quality. First triple I ever witnessed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNwO2egYrzY

Oh no doubt the audio quality leaves a lot to be desired... what external mic are you using?
Basspond
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:22 am

I'll get you a link after hunting today. Polar something. Has a windscreen on it also. When it rains I put the waterproof case on and take the mic off.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby MFunk13 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Killerkowalski, I noticed you're using your camera attached to your head while in a layout blind, I was wondering how much the camera sticks out and if the birds ever flare from the camera?
MFunk13
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:27 pm

I do use it in a layout. I don't think it flares them but does stick out. I am going to paint a spare skeleton case during the off season. Other days it's never a problem. Never know though. Blinds open today we had five Mallards finish without calling. Birds finished all day. Any given day I guess.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Great video on both guys. Really quality stuff!

I am just beginning to experiment with my gopro hero 3. Have tried the head mount but it just shakes way too much when I shoot. Have been using the sling mount from captureyourhunt.com and it works great so far. My video is pretty poorly edited or else I would put it up to look at.

Loved the zooming in part above, that was a great idea.

Also, in terms of camouflaging your case, capture your hunt also has skins that wrap it. I was actually surprised at how well mine turned out. Now it matches my gun [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bttrym8
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Also, I know some guys have talked about remotes and battery life. My trick I've begun to use is to set the camera for one touch recording so it starts recording as soon as it's powered on then set it to turn off automatically after 60 seconds of not recording.

When birds start working, I hit the power on and listen for the startup beeps (lights are off) then after I shoot, I just hit the stop record and it automatically turns itself off. Repeat as more volleys come in. Now one battery lasts the whole trip easily.

bttrym8
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:45 pm

I record every minute of every day. I have six batteries. Amazon sells aftermarkets for around $8 each. Each battery lasts about 2 hours depending how cold it is. I edit later and capture some funny stuff. Too many things going on to remember to record when birds are working. I have a skin for mine is Duck Blind. Is your skin for the case? Check out goproprofessional.com I believe. They make some awesome storage boxes for everything. Custom molded. I have a single camera box.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Do you just periodically check to see if your battery has died? I'll have to look into some separate ones. I've got a 32gb card so I'm thinking it should be able to handle most of it. My hunts are usually done by 11 so roughly 4 hours of recording time. I'm gonna give it a shot with the 1080p in 60fps once the second half opens

bttrym8
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:26 am

It beeps four times when it dies and then I change it. Three times when a card is full. I carry 4 32GB cards only because I can't get on a computer for several days once season is open. All my free time is hunting. Right now I have about 50 hours worth to go back and edit.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Basspond » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:18 am

I use the battery backpacs on both of mine and definitely go to Amazon for batteries, you can get two batteries and a charger by Wasabi for something like $24. I have both cameras connected to the wifi remote, which I keep on my call lanyard and just turn recording on and off when birds are working. As I've learned this year with teal sometimes it's better to have it on all the time!

I plasti-dip coated both of my cases in their camo green and black but the camo skins might be a better way to go.

The zoom thing that I do is to not make the footage look as wide angle. I shoot that camera in 2.7k and then can zoom to 1080p, still keeping full HD.

You can also turn the camera around on the gun and create some interesting angles to edit in later. In this shot you can see the other cam mounted on my boat canvas.

Basspond
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:25 am

Are all of your videos on YouTube? This is how I kill time during the day until the split ends...

bttrym8
hunter

Postby Basspond » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:31 am

bttrym8 wrote:Are all of your videos on YouTube? This is how I kill time during the day until the split ends...

Most of mine are. This is a short one from this past weekend: http://youtu.be/qyhG_WWZpLY
Basspond
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:46 am

Was the wide frame the head strap?

And what were your settings on those videos. Love it!

Btw my mount came with a "recoil reducer" for the gun that is a small piece of metal. It helps a lot with the shake from the gun blast.

bttrym8
hunter

Postby Basspond » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:17 am

My videos are 1080 - 30fps wide on the overall shots and 1080 - 30 or 60 fps narrow on the gun mount. If it's a sunny day I use 60fps as it needs more light to look good and allow for good slow motion. 30fps looks better in low light.
Basspond
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:29 pm

I run 720p wide 30 FPS. It's all about data for me. YouTube likes 30 FPS anyways. 60 is nice is you slow down footage.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Basspond wrote:
bttrym8 wrote:Are all of your videos on YouTube? This is how I kill time during the day until the split ends...

Most of mine are. This is a short one from this past weekend: http://youtu.be/qyhG_WWZpLY

Been checking out your videos. When it is panning, is that recorded in wide screen and just zoomed in and you do the panning with software? It almost looks robotically smooth for just a head mount.
bttrym8
hunter

Postby bttrym8 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:40 pm

http://youtu.be/_hGhHmYMLV0

Here's my first attempt with videos from this last weekends hunt. Pretty cool double on video with the geese
bttrym8
hunter

Postby Basspond » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:20 pm

bttrym8 wrote:Been checking out your videos. When it is panning, is that recorded in wide screen and just zoomed in and you do the panning with software? It almost looks robotically smooth for just a head mount.

That is correct, it is recorded in wide and then zoomed in panned with software. It isn't mounted on my head in those situations, usually mounted with a roll bar type mount on something stationary. I actually very rarely use the head mount aside from fishing videos.
Basspond
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Gear Forum