Knife help

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Knife help

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:56 pm

It happened today, I lost my favorite knife today while hunting. I am going to go out Thursday and try to find it but do not have much hope that will happen.

I am beginning to look for a replacement and need some help on experiences and trying to figure what to get next. My only requirements are three fold; great quality and American made and able to cut through a deer rib cage.

What do you suggest as a replacement? Please let me know your thoughts.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Re: Knife help

Postby jarod1076 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Benchmade
jarod1076
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:09 pm

If you are looking for a larger do all work knife (minus skinning) I have had a Buck 189T Intrepid since about 1999 or 2000 I have use it to take apart an entire moose a deer rib cage should not be a problem, so skinning I like my buck Alpha Hunter. I do not think they make the intrepid anymore but I really like mine I am sure buck has a new current model similar.

http://www.soonerstateknives.com/B-189T-Buck-Intrepid.jpg

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3066

I have a few knives but if I were to take only two on a week or weekend long outing these would be my two picks.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby coruptone » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:11 pm

By far the best knife that i have owned is made by piranha. It is manufactured in Twin Falls Idaho and have a lifetime warranty. they are automatic style lock blade witch means at the press of a button on the side of the knife the blade springs open and locks, pushing the same button releases the blade so you can fold it back up. There are many different styles and colors and the blade steel holds a edge3 times longer than any knife i have ever owned. The one that i have is the amazon with a titanium handle and belt clip and they are built like a tank :thumbsup:
coruptone
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:16 pm

This is a nice one but I am not much on the Haley Heath thing
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?eve ... uctID=4036

Guess that is why they make this one LOL
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?eve ... uctID=3670
Phild
hunter

Postby labwild » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:43 am

I have been using a Buck Model 105 for 20+ years and it goes thru a deer's rib cage with ease. I also use the Wyoming style knives and Buck has a model in that style.
labwild
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:16 am

Ontario Knife Company or ESEE. Ontairo will replace your knife one time for free no matter how you break it even if it's your fault. ESEE broke off of Ontario and they will replace your knife every time you break it, no matter if it's your fault or not. Both made in the USA and both are great companies. I have a fixed blade Ontario and like the knife a lot. I have a lot of knives, but the Ontario is my favorite. The ESEE's are a little more expensive, but if you're REALLY hard on knives it may be worth it.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 am

Over 50 years of use, a Gerber 4.5" aluminum handle that I dipped in liquid rubber. Cleaning and field butchering Moose, Black Bear and Deer along with game birds. For skinning I like my Olfa replaceable blade tile knives with the hook type blade replacements and/or scalpels. No kidding , the local butcher shop put me on to that one. If I need a heavy thick knife I use a hatchet and for splitting the backbones, legs and ribs I use a battery powered reciprocal saw. Lostknife
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby mike.s » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:Ontario Knife Company or ESEE. Both made in the USA and both are great companies.
The first Ontario I looked at (XM-2T), says "Country of Origin Italy". In fact, all of their "XM folders" are.
mike.s
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Grohman knives in Pictou Nova Scotia are excellent as well. I have a few of them as well and the kitches set, steak/tomatoe set and some filet knives.

http://www.grohmannknives.com/

I have this one for skinning I forgot I had this one when I posted that I would take the two bucks if I had a choice LOL. I would replace the alpha for this
http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r100s.html
Phild
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Some good ones here and thanks for the ideas.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:53 pm

I googled that piranha knife and it looks sweet not really what I would call a hunting/do all knife but I found this site....should be good for a few hrs of wasted time and if you can't find a replacement on here you don't need one LOL

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Spyderco-Fixed--417?sort_by=r_price_each
Phild
hunter

Postby foxtrot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 am

I'm a real fan of the Ken Onion series of knives from Kershaw. I'm pretty sure they're made in Oregon just like Gerber and Leatherman. My personal favorite is the Leek. It may seam small but I cleaned a huge feral hog with it and it was fine.
Last edited by foxtrot on Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain
foxtrot
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:59 am

Folder- buck 110

fixed- benchmade nimrivas (spelling probably wrong)

buck and benchmade are by far my favorite makers!
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:40 pm

dont rule out the Ginsu!! second set free just pay additional S&H.......
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby Jeremy.zinn » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:39 pm

I wouldn't be caught dead with anything but a Benchmade. Well, maybe a Spyderco. None of that vg-10 crap though. Their zdp189 is tops.
Jeremy.zinn
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum