Head lamps

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: Head lamps

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:49 pm

I got 2 sets from wal mart they are enegizer brand and were $12 they are the best I've ever owned. I had some $50 ones and the enegizers are better. Also make sure you keep the lens from getting scrathed and they will be bright until the batteries die.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Quackacardia » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:46 pm

I stand firmly behind my Black Diamond. I've had a couple that lasted me more than 4yrs of extensive use. If you watch Steep and Cheap, you can pick them up for less than $30. I had a princeton tec for about 2 weeks before it was broken. My buddy has the Surefire headlamp (a billion dollars), and my black diamond does everything his does, but doesnt use rechargeable batteries. You cant go wrong with Black Diamond.
"Do not feel sorry for the man on his own. If he is one who plunges into all sorts of work, if he does not dawdle, if he does not dwell upon his aloneness, he will get many things done and have a fine time doing them." -Gordon MacQuarrie
Quackacardia
hunter

Postby redbeard44 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:11 pm

LED ball cap light. I always thought they were stupid until I bought one. It was $10's has 3 small LED bulbs, takes a big watch battery, and is adjustable for angles. Not to mention it weighs less then a Sharpie marker. Also you don't have to deal with annoying adjustment straps. Stick it on your favorite camo ball cap and off you go. I was more then surprised at how bright it was, especially for the price. I'd put it up with my Surefire at 10ft lol at least for convenience reasons.
redbeard44
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:05 am

tenfingergrip wrote:If you might want to make you an inexpensive head lamp with a quality streamlight or other led light, you may want to get you a couple of pieces of velcro and a spare hat. I wrapped some sticky soft industrial velcro around a led light, stapled a couple of pieces of sticky soft velcro on the hat brim and a piece of hook in the middle, and cut a piece of double-sided velcro to hold it in place and you've got a quality head lamp that doesn't squeeze your brains out.

Homemade Hat Light
Hat light 1 mb.jpg

Hat Light 2.jpg

I like your style, tenfinger.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Benelli92 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Has anyone tried the Noxx headlights? I was thinking about getting one.
Benelli92
hunter

Postby Chris6418 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:25 am

Bought this head lamp after using cheap ones for years. All the cheap ones seem to fall apart (and of course, at the wrong times). So I went out and bought a Browning Phantom LED. Super light weight, small in size, easy to operate on off switch (even gloved), BRIGHT light, and also has red, blue, and green light. If you take a look at it, you'll see that it has a lens that you can swivel. What this does is breaks down the light for a wide, filtered light for untangeling decoys, setting up the blind, etc. When the lens does not cover the light, the lights turns into a spot light for distant viewing. By far the best headlamp I have used for the money. (o ya, it also has a clip where you can mount to the bill of a hat if you dont want to wear as a head band)
Attachments
browning headlamp.jpg
browning headlamp.jpg (3.17 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Chris6418
hunter

Postby Chris6418 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 am

^^^^^^ O ya, it was only $40.00. My only complaint is that i wish the batteries would last a little longer, but theyre still not bad on them. It uses only 1 AA battery
Chris6418
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:53 am

Seriously though, for a headlamp 30 to 40 lumens is plenty for what I use it for. Then out comes the spot light for anything else.
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby swampmaster55 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:56 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:got an Energizer one at Wally world with 3 leds and a red setting runs on AAA batteries 17 bucks. plenty bright for me

X2!! best one out there can't beat it for the price
1648 Wareagle w/ 40 kohler hd sport.. BAMF!!!!
swampmaster55
hunter

Head lamps

Postby Sclf » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Coast Led Lenser hl7! Nuff said
Sclf
hunter

Postby bones498 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:00 pm

I got mine from BigLots for $5....plenty of light from the LED's (6, 12 or flashing depending on setting). It runs on 3 AAA batteries and lasts about half a season before having to change the batteries. For only costing $5 it works great!

Here is the link to the headlamp....They don't have a link but I got the one w/o the flashlight.
http://www.biglots.com/p/Lazer-Light-LED-Headlamp-Flashlight-Combo-Pack
bones498
hunter

Postby ringneckslayer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:24 am

I have to agree with all on the energizer Wally world lights, for the price is by far the best head lamp. I have picked up several Princeton teks, of different models and am currently using them nightly over the pond, I like the fact that they offer tan bands and such. Of course that doesn't matter much when it comes to duck hunting, cause it'll be back in the blind bag after 1st light. I'm sure a couple of these lights will make it in to mine and my sons blind bags for next season.
ringneckslayer
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:52 am

This is one of those things that you can really go small or big on.
I picked up an Energizer one from Loews just passing by and I can't kill it.
The elastic stays true, three different light options, I haven't changed the batts in 3 seasons.......
I doubt it was even $20...and it's a big light, probably 3"x2"...so it's not a single phase dinker.

http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-li ... light.aspx

See the ratings at the bottom
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby imboray » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 am

apg36820 wrote:I jsut recently bought a headlamp after doing alot of looking. i ended up setteling on the Petzel TacTikka XP. But i also bought a cheaper Cabelas Alaskan Guide Series XR head lamp. it never hurts to have more than one . I also looked at the Steamlight Sidewinder and the Petzel MYO RXP 2. all good options

X2
imboray
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum