Leaking Wader question

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Leaking Wader question

Postby TXHunter96 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:45 pm

So this week I was getting some deeks out of my pond and was a little over waist deep. When I got out of my waders, I noticed a damp spot around my knee on my shin and my socks were damp as well. It was about 75-78 degrees and my waders are 600 gram insulation.. Could it have just been sweat? What's the best way to find a leak if it is a leak??
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Re: Leaking Wader question

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:05 pm

If it was just on one leg i'd say it was a leak. I've had the inside of my waders fairly wet from walking a long ways in my waders and they can get wet if you sweat but no where near as wet as if it were a leak.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby snapshotmd » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:01 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:If it was just on one leg i'd say it was a leak. I've had the inside of my waders fairly wet from walking a long ways in my waders and they can get wet if you sweat but no where near as wet as if it were a leak.

Either that or he has overactive sweat glands on one leg. :biggrin:
One of the guys I hunt with says he fills his waders up with water and look for leaks on the outside. But I would probably mix up some water and detergent in a spray bottle, fill the waders up with air using an air compressor, then spray the suspected area and look for bubbles.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby mike.s » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Fill the bathtub....
mike.s
hunter

Postby open door » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:42 pm

TXHunter96 wrote:So this week I was getting some deeks out of my pond and was a little over waist deep. When I got out of my waders, I noticed a damp spot around my knee on my shin and my socks were damp as well. It was about 75-78 degrees and my waders are 600 gram insulation.. Could it have just been sweat? What's the best way to find a leak if it is a leak??

They weren't "Allen" waders, were they? lol. I have a pair of them they have 600 grams thinsulate. You're in Texas, and I'm in Louisiana, I walk a lot, and my paants and socks are soaked from perspiration in this 70 plus weather we're having. If you have a leak, you will definitely notice the difference int he cold water when it comes in. Most likely you're just experiencing a perspiration problem because your sock(s) were both wet.
open door
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:13 pm

open door wrote:
TXHunter96 wrote:So this week I was getting some deeks out of my pond and was a little over waist deep. When I got out of my waders, I noticed a damp spot around my knee on my shin and my socks were damp as well. It was about 75-78 degrees and my waders are 600 gram insulation.. Could it have just been sweat? What's the best way to find a leak if it is a leak??

They weren't "Allen" waders, were they? lol. I have a pair of them they have 600 grams thinsulate. You're in Texas, and I'm in Louisiana, I walk a lot, and my paants and socks are soaked from perspiration in this 70 plus weather we're having. If you have a leak, you will definitely notice the difference int he cold water when it comes in. Most likely you're just experiencing a perspiration problem because your sock(s) were both wet.

Haha no they are redhead. And I'm still waiting on those 45 degree days!
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby open door » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:18 am

TXHunter96 wrote:
open door wrote:

i was gonna get a pair of the Redheads but the Bass Pro Shop in Bossier didn't have the 3.5MM neoprene waders in a week or so before duck season, so I went elsewhere. It's waaaay too hot right now, and we have very few ducks where I hunt. Need a strong cold front straight out of Canada to bring some; need aabout a 3 inch rain, also
open door
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:29 am

open door wrote:
TXHunter96 wrote:
open door wrote:

i was gonna get a pair of the Redheads but the Bass Pro Shop in Bossier didn't have the 3.5MM neoprene waders in a week or so before duck season, so I went elsewhere. It's waaaay too hot right now, and we have very few ducks where I hunt. Need a strong cold front straight out of Canada to bring some; need aabout a 3 inch rain, also

If you wait til Christmas you can get them for about $90 so what I did was grabbed a pair that they had (didn't fit) and brought them back after Christmas and asked for an exchange. So they ordered the pair I wanted and I got em a week later.. If you have the time, it's worth it.
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:04 pm

If they are neoprene waders it was probably sweat. I quit buying neoprene waders it just doesn't get cold enough in louisiana for them and when it does get cold I layer up.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby steelslinger » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:15 am

Put a pair of gray sweats on, fill your bathtub up with water, put your waders on and sit in it. If there is a leak, you will feel it almost immediately. The gray sweats will show you the vicinity of the leak. If after 5 minutes you don't feel any water then it was sweat.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby jgoetz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:52 pm

rebelp74 wrote:If they are neoprene waders it was probably sweat. I quit buying neoprene waders it just doesn't get cold enough in louisiana for them and when it does get cold I layer up.

75-78 degrees and you need 600 gram Thinsulate?! Probally sweat! :biggrin:

I am a buck twenty and wear 600 gram Thinsulate in ice and have no issues. Dang, you southern boys got it easy!

But in all honesty, if it was localized to one knee probally a small leak. Inspect that area. Sounds like it would be an easily patched hole. Best of luck.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:33 pm

jgoetz wrote:I am a buck twenty and wear 600 gram Thinsulate in ice and have no issues. Dang, you southern boys got it easy!

Let me get this straight; you're 120# and a firefighter??? Do you disappear when you turn sideways?
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:54 pm

jgoetz wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:If they are neoprene waders it was probably sweat. I quit buying neoprene waders it just doesn't get cold enough in louisiana for them and when it does get cold I layer up.

75-78 degrees and you need 600 gram Thinsulate?! Probally sweat! :biggrin:

I am a buck twenty and wear 600 gram Thinsulate in ice and have no issues. Dang, you southern boys got it easy!

But in all honesty, if it was localized to one knee probally a small leak. Inspect that area. Sounds like it would be an easily patched hole. Best of luck.

I wish I could find something without any insulation at all but I wear a size 16 and can cram into a 15 so my options are very limited. 600g thinsulate is the lightest weight insulation I can find in my size.I wish it would get ice bustin cold here, I love the cold!
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby open door » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:07 pm

TXHunter96 wrote:
open door wrote:
TXHunter96 wrote:
open door wrote:

If you wait til Christmas you can get them for about $90 so what I did was grabbed a pair that they had (didn't fit) and brought them back after Christmas and asked for an exchange. So they ordered the pair I wanted and I got em a week later.. If you have the time, it's worth it.

Yep they just advertised them, regularly $150 for $99 I think. I may buy a pair & just keep them to have as an extra pair just in case, or hold them for a couple of years until this pair tears up.
open door
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:12 pm

I recommend buying the cabelas dry plus breathable, they fit big but are great for the warmer weather we get, you won't sweat in these.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:01 pm

If its small its probably a busted seam somewhere. Thats whats wrong with mine but i dont know how to patch it. What do you guys use?
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby open door » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:21 pm

rebelp74 wrote:I recommend buying the cabelas dry plus breathable, they fit big but are great for the warmer weather we get, you won't sweat in these.

What does these cost?
open door
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:25 pm

I got mine on sale for 159.99 they are regular 199.99, but worth every penny
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby open door » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:00 am

rebelp74 wrote:I got mine on sale for 159.99 they are regular 199.99, but worth every penny

Thanks
open door
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum