Need a new flashlight

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Need a new flashlight

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:00 pm

I have no idea what happened to my GREAT little, yellow and black flashlight with a tab on it like a click pen for your pocket.
I forget the name too.....
Anyone know? Or have a good tip on a small, powerful light
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Need a new flashlight

Postby War Wagon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Best flashlight i ever bought is a Shurefire. Model # E1L Outdoorsman . They are a little pricey but can they throw a beam. Check them out
Last edited by War Wagon on Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:31 pm

War Wagon
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Pen size? Streamlight stylus pro: http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=133

Avg. flashlight size? Streamlight polytac: http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=159

I really like Streamlight. While they aren't any surefire, they are dependable, durable and cheap enough that if you lose it, you aren't out 250$ (which happened to me sometime Monday)
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby diesel79 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:27 pm

A little larger than average, but will light up a football field....literally. Malkoff Wildcat. I have one and run it off of 2 Redilast 18650 Lithium Ions. Its kind of cool when you can usually light up a large portion or the entire marsh you are unting with your flashlight.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/malk ... -p-77.html
diesel79
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:05 pm

War Wagon wrote:Best flashlight i ever bought is a Shurefire. Model # E1L Outdoorsman . They are a little pricey but can they throw a beam. Check them out

x2... Another vote for Surefire. A few guys in my hunting group including myself own them and love them. I also carry a LED Defender Surefire in my truck and will use it for camping. Superior quality and REALLY bright... the only issue imo is the price. That said, I have bought all of mine on some really big sales doing some internet searching.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby diesel79 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:31 am

Another thing I woudl look at is something that runs on either a single or 2 AA batteries. You can get some pretty bright lights that run on these cells. The best AA rechargeable batteries are Sanyo Eneloops. Makes for a very cost effective flashlight when you run these batteries.

I used to run the lights that only took CR123 primaries, but it gets too expensive if you like to actually use the light alot. The AA eneloops really are the way to go unless you want to step up to Lithium Ion rechargeables, but thats a whole new game.
diesel79
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:13 pm

I have a sure-fire.... they are military issue, and its relatively small (~5in) and its almost a spot light!

the 123 batteries that they run can be had for reasonable if you look around and buy in bulk.

this is what I run with the rail mount taken off-
http://www.surefire.com/m951xm07-with-d ... mount.html
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Utter chaos » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Streamlight reachargeable or sportsmans has a 500 lumen ruger light for 50 bucks right now
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:03 pm

I have 2 sure fires and they are great flashlights and very bright. The problem is that they are very expensive to buy and they use cr123 batteries. Cr123 batteries cost $3.00 to $3.50 each and run time in a sure fire is about an hour. I recently discovered a really great flashlight. It's a mini Maglite pro . It uses 2 AA batteries and runs for 2 plus hours. It is extremely bright, it puts out 245 lumins. It has a little wider beam than a sure fire. It uses a super bright led bulb that will last thousands of hours. It is way way brighter than old mini mag lights. Cost $30. I now have a Mini Maglite Pro for home, truck, boat and shop.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Need a new flashlight

Postby success » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:12 pm

Go with a malkoff dropin in a p60 host!
success
hunter

Postby diesel79 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:10 am

success wrote:Go with a malkoff dropin in a p60 host!

Good call! I have one of his 2-AA twisty's with a M31 Nichia 219 drop in from Illumination Supply. It has awesome tint, color rendering, and nice floody beam. It also doubles as my headlamp in one of those Fenix headbands.

Another recommendation would be a Zebralight. The flashlights come with a headband and they have a great user interface. They are nice, but I would take a Malkoff over one any day. Here is one that I have:
http://www.zebralight.com/SC51w-Flashli ... _p_45.html
diesel79
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:37 am

Here's one they think a lot of, hence the price. They are tactical lights and throw out a lot of light for a lot of dinero!

http://www.monsterflashlight.com/?gclid=CNq_-__257MCFXCmPAodbmIAmw
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:24 pm

The 123A batteries from Shurefire are $ 22.50 for 12. Check ther web, That makes the cost $ 1.875 each. I have never ran my flashlight for 1 hour a a time. My little EL1 flashlight takes one battery well worth it. Watch this short video....http://www.surefire.com/video-channel#123ABattery
War Wagon
hunter

Postby AdamG » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Streamlight makes an excellent light for the money! The Stylus is nice to keep in your pocket and is surprisingly bright. I also have a headlamp with green led/white led/xenon bulbs, and it works very well, and is lightweight to boot. I have a Polytac on my M4 rifle, and for $40 is probably one of the brightest LED lights Ive ever seen.

Streamlight if you're like me and on a budget, Surefire if not.
AdamG
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 am

yellow with button on the end... I have a garrison like that.. waterproof and floats... single cree LED and runs on 3AAA... got it at CT for 26$... its been threw hell and back and still works like a champ... even with weld splatter on the lens...
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/SafetySecurity/Flashlights/PRD~0650060P/Garrison+3W+Cree+LED+3-Function+Flashlight.jsp?locale=en
something like that one....
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Postby rtr912 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:13 pm

i will say this, i have a streamlight strion led flashlight which i use everyday between work and hunting, etc. it was about 115 bucks, but i must say this light is so bright i use it as my primary navigating light. no qbeam or lightbar, just what i can keep in my pocket. it is 100% waterproof, and extremely durable. my experience with surefire is they arent worth the extra money. i have replaced the light housing in mine twice, and my military buddies have had similar luck with them. i fell out of my boat at high tide and the streamlight fell out of my pocket, sinking to the bottom of the swamp. i thought i lost it but i went to scout that creek i was in when i fell out and found saw it barely poking out of the water. it stayed completely underwater in the mud for 10 days, and not a drop of water was in the light, housing or push button. it still wanted to turn on! the battery was leaking acid from sitting in cold water for so long so when i contacted streamlight and told them about it they replaced the battery for free even after i told them how long it sat under water. just got my battery back yesterday and it works like a champ.
rtr912
Newb

Postby Fordsuper » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Fenix lights are amazing. Well built and powerful and most run on AA.
Fordsuper
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Just ordered a pair of Streamlights AA and AAAA on amazon...
$45 for the pair and free delivery.
I had the original army green one that finally just rotted out after 20 years and then lost the replacement yellow.
This will be my 3rd and 4th so I guess I like them........

out
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby alhersch » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:31 pm

Fordsuper wrote:Fenix lights are amazing. Well built and powerful and most run on AA.

I'll second the Fenix!!! I have the TK35 while it's not a little light and doesn't run on AA's but good gosh that thing will light up more then a football field!!!

Al
alhersch
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:54 pm

I use a Leatherman Monarch. They dont make them any more and run on a AA battery. Only thing wrong with it is it eats batteries. I drop it in the water at least once every time I go hunting and it has never leaked. Wish I had bought more of them.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:33 am

Check out 4sevens.com a guy i hunt with had one about the size of a mini mag lite and holly hell it was bright and it ran on triple A batterys. im not a fan of flashlight that take those expensive watch batteries
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby birdman90 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:08 am

cant go wrong with a streamlight stinger you can get it in either led or halogen both are rechargable and have a base that can be mounted in your vehicle. led are about 160 bucks and halogen can be picked up for about 130 led also has 3 different intensitys which can come in handy. if your looking for one that just takes AA batteries look into getting the streamlight Junior LED you can buy them for 50 bucks all day long and are suprisingly bright.
birdman90
Newb

Postby Paul-andrew » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:13 pm

Led lenser would be my first choice!
Paul-andrew
hunter

Postby TaylorMann1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:12 am

During Hurricane Sandy we purchased about 10 of these for work. Everyone has been very pleased with them.

http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lights/ ... light.aspx
TaylorMann1
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum