Sump pump as ice-eater

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Sump pump as ice-eater

Postby mdycrk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:24 pm

I was reading the ice eater thread earlier, and started thinking about making myself one for our ponds.

Currently, I have a 1000 quiet run generator, and was trying to come up with some way to utilize it in the process, to make the system go all night.

I read through the ice eater thread over and over, talked to my buddies about making one, been searching for some bent shaft trolling motors, etc, etc. and then had an idea. So I wanted to run it by you guys to see if you thought it would work.

Since I have a power supply, I started thinking about using a sump pump as an ice eater. Thought was to build a small stand, something like 1'x 1' square, 1' tall or so, to keep the pump out of the mud, then plump from the discharge, up so far, put a fitting like a 22.5 degree elbow on top of that to make it where the water would spray across the top of the water, similar to the slight incline the ice eaters have.

Does anyone run anything like this, or have any thoughts on if it would even work or not? Looking for help.
mdycrk
hunter

Re: Sump pump as ice-eater

Postby duckdozer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:52 pm

maybe downsize the pipe and split it 4 ways to make the hole bigger in diameter. I have heard of guys doing this and it worked.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm looking at a 1/2 horse pump that is rated at 4800 gph. I would imagine that would move plenty of water. I hadn't thought about splitting the water but that would probably work. Come off the discharge and put a T and that should make a pretty decent sized area.
mdycrk
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:38 pm

the only bad thing is that with pvc in the cold it is really fragile especially if you are using smaller pipe like 3/4" or so. Just be careful with it.
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:33 pm

I was thinking more like galvanized.
mdycrk
hunter

Postby SafetyAlwaysOff » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:31 am

As long as you don't use ABS or PVC plastic would be fine in the cold. Galvanized would be a heavy set up. Like the idea though going to see if I have any spare pumps around
SafetyAlwaysOff
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 am

SafetyAlwaysOff wrote:As long as you don't use ABS or PVC plastic would be fine in the cold. Galvanized would be a heavy set up. Like the idea though going to see if I have any spare pumps around

This is true. It would be a little heavy. I guess I'm looking a minimal pipe to use. What kind of pipe would work well other than the PVC Plastic or ABS? I had thought about galvanized so it would last a long time. But I'm completely new at this setup so I'm definitely open for suggestions.
I found a pump for around $175 that has a 5 year warranty. Figured I'd go ahead and bump for the warranty using it under these conditions.
mdycrk
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:05 am

mdycrk wrote:
SafetyAlwaysOff wrote:As long as you don't use ABS or PVC plastic would be fine in the cold. Galvanized would be a heavy set up. Like the idea though going to see if I have any spare pumps around

This is true. It would be a little heavy. I guess I'm looking a minimal pipe to use. What kind of pipe would work well other than the PVC Plastic or ABS? I had thought about galvanized so it would last a long time. But I'm completely new at this setup so I'm definitely open for suggestions.
I found a pump for around $175 that has a 5 year warranty. Figured I'd go ahead and bump for the warranty using it under these conditions.

for that price you can buy 3 trolling motors brand new and make one like Aunt Betty did.

edit-----oops they arent on sale anymore you cfan buy 2 for nearly the same price and more than likely be mor eeffective with one than that pump. I thought you had a pump laying around to be used.
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
duckdozer
hunter

Postby mdycrk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:13 am

duckdozer wrote:
mdycrk wrote:

for that price you can buy 3 trolling motors brand new and make one like Aunt Betty did.

edit-----oops they arent on sale anymore you cfan buy 2 for nearly the same price and more than likely be mor eeffective with one than that pump. I thought you had a pump laying around to be used.

Where did he get trolling motors for $80/each? The one I'm looking at moves 5000 gph. I figured that would be a lot more water movement than a trolling motor? What size trolling motors is he using?
mdycrk
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum