Mcalister Duration Sweater

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Postby sigpi906 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm in the markeet to replace my cheap fleece that I've always worn as a mid layer over my hunting shirt and below my shell. I like the looks of the McAlister Duration and really like waxed cotton. Can any of ya'll give me an honest review of it? How it fits, feels, and has held up?
I was told people wouldn't take me seriously without a signature.
sigpi906
hunter

Re: Mcalister Duration Sweater

Postby MattMontana » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:51 pm

I have lots of McAlister gear, and unfortunately, this is my least favorite piece. It fits ok, but it looks pretty cheap, and feels even worse in my hands. And mine has no wind shear layer. I bought a Cabela's waterfowl sweater, with the wind shear layer, and haven't worn the McAlister since. In fact, it's 26 degrees here right now, and I am wearing the Cabelas waterfowl sweater with a sleeveless tee shirt underneath, and I may be a little over dressed. My advice would be too pass on this sweater. It just isn't worth the money, in my opinion.
MattMontana
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Man, that's disappointing to hear Matt, but I'm glad I asked. The "feels cheap" part is what bothers me the most. I don't want to drop this much money on something that isn't worth it. I'll check out the cabela's stuff. Thanks for the input.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:39 pm

There is but one waterfowl sweater that is worth the money and will last for years...Filson.

Mike is 10+ years old and still going strong. It is the warmest piece of clothing I own and with just a good base layer mock turtleneck underneath I can hunt in the mid 30's; with a base layer and lightweight fleece mock turtleneath underneath it I can hunt in the low 30's and below- all without a parka. With a parka over the top I've hunted in the mid teens and was toasty as heck.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Apex, thanks for your input and review. The Filson was my first choice, but I just cant find that extrat $100 at this point. So, I guess I'm going to hit up Cabela's bargain bin and wait another year so I can purchase what I really want... but DAMN $250 for a sweater seem ridiculous.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby super90 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:07 am

I've got the Filson waterfowler sweater too. Have had it probably 10 years. Great piece of gear, but I must admit, it's really heavy and bulky and limits your range of motion. I find myself using other layers more often. I usually wear my Smartwool baselayer, then a synthetic fleece then maybe a thin down/hollowfill jacket, with my Cabela's P.I.T. Jacket over that. Sounds like a lot of layers, but they are light and there isn't the bulk or weight of the Filson sweater. Plus I can change the layers quickly to control temp.

I would find a fleece and or down/hollowfill jacket instead. Colors don't matter because I put my P.I.T. jacket over them. They are usually black or brown or green though. Try Sierra Trading Post or similar sites to find good deals.

Probably not the answer you wanted, but just letting you know the path I have ended up on. And I have that Filson sweater we all love to love.
super90
hunter

Postby hankyorke » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:12 am

Cabelas with windshear or Filson. I like both.
I may be able to hook you up with a green Filson in XL. If interested let me know. I bought a tan on eBay and don't need two.
hankyorke
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 am

Ain't that filson stuff the polo of duck gear?
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby sigpi906 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:12 pm

hankyorke wrote:Cabelas with windshear or Filson. I like both.
I may be able to hook you up with a green Filson in XL. If interested let me know. I bought a tan on eBay and don't need two.

I appreciate the offer Hank, but if they run true to size, I'm a 2X all day.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Mine does not limit me in any way but I don't wear much underneath it to create the bulk. I'm 5'10", 210# with a 50" chest and the XXL is loose enough for comfortable wear. The shoulders have plenty of room and it stretches well enough for any contortions I may do while hunting or shooting and it is rarely covered with a parka while hunting. That said, I have only hand washed and laid it flat to dry as recommended and it has kept the size and shape (I may throw it in the dryer with just air after it is dry to fluff it up a bit then re-treat the oil finish shelter cloth.

They aren't cheap but $225 for a sweater that is the warmest and best performing garment that will last for decades could be considered a bargain if you compare it to buying multiple $100 sweaters over that same time period.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:16 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:Ain't that filson stuff the polo of duck gear?

Some may classify Filson gear like that but people that recognize the quality of materials & workmanship along with the longevity of the items ignore such comments. Among my Filson items are the waterfowl sweater, several shirts, vests, chaps and strap game vest that have all been worn or used for many years & are still going strong. I have a plaid guide shirt that was a Christmas present almost 15 years ago and it can hardly be discerned from new. The chaps have busted through briars and brush for over 10 seasons without a hiccup or tear. In a nutshell Filson is a bit high priced but is a good example of getting what you pay for...regardless of the perception of the brand.

That said I do shy away from their waterfowl upland coat because everybody I've hunted with that wore it either froze their arses off or looked like a drowned muskrat after a rainstorm.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby super90 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:42 pm

Agreed. I have lots of Filson gear that I have accumulated over the years, and it wears like iron. Two sweaters, wool jac-shirt, double hunting pants, waterfowler coat, game belt, waterfowler hat (discontinued shadowgrass pattern), brush hat, etc . etc. It all serves it's purpose well, but every now and again, there is another piece of gear I like better for a particular application.
super90
hunter

Postby smitty9805 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:33 pm

My wife bought a Mcalister Duration sweater for me last year at Christmas. I only wore a thermal shirt under it with my waders and found that I didn't need a jacket. Very warm on the coldest days and repeled water nicely. However, I had an issue with the stitching coming loose on the cuffs. I called the company and they told me I had a 1 year warranty. Took it to my dealer and Mcalister is supposed to be sending out a new one. I will try the new one but if it happens again I will either take it to a dry cleaner and let them reinforce the stitching or buy a Filson. I spoke with Filson the other day and the warranty on their products is by far better than Drake/Mcalister.
Smitty
smitty9805
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum