Spotlights

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Spotlights

Postby vincentpa » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:48 am

Does anyone know of a spotlight that actually functions after using it more than twice? The last two million candlepower spotlights I have owned have stopped working after 3 or 4 times of using it. I had one from WalMart and one from GAnder Mountain. I tried taking one apart but I couldn't find anything. Both of them would inexplicably start working again after a few days only to die everytime that I charged it. The pattern for both of them seemed to be to lose function after I charged it. Then they would start working again after a few days. Now, they both don't work. Has anyone had these same problems? Does anyone have any ideas what would be causing the problems? Any recommendations on a good spotlight?
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Re: Spotlights

Postby snapshotmd » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:53 pm

My hunting buddy has this. Very bright and seems durable.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stanley-10-Watt-LED-Spotlight/21804432
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby thebman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Optronics® Blue Eye Beam® 400,000 Candlepower Marine Hand-Held Spotlight
and a motorcycle battery... it will last for YEARS.
thebman
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:09 am

thebman wrote:Optronics® Blue Eye Beam® 400,000 Candlepower Marine Hand-Held Spotlight
and a motorcycle battery... it will last for YEARS.

:thumbsup:
This is the methodology I use, even if not the same spotlight. In fact, the spotlight I have been using for almost 15 seasons is a no-name, $8 Bargain Table Special from the local hardware store. ( okay, I did have to replace the ON-OFF switch about five years ago....)

I've not found a rechargeable spotlight that lasted more than 2 seasons without failing. I have about five of them on a shelf in my shop right now: door nails. Sometimes I can fix them temporarily, but they never regain any semblance of reliability. Twelve volt plug-in lights just seem so much more durable.
mudpack
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:34 am

I'm looking for a handheld unit that I can stash in my layout boat, which is tight. The light has to be small-ish. The battery would have to be contained in the unit or else I lose the compactness for tight spaces in my boat.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:39 am

I put headlights on my boat for about half the cost of a good spotlight.
Went to a farm store and bought an auxiliary light kit for a tractor.
$20 and I'm no longer driving with one hand while I hold the spotlight with the other one until my shoulder goes numb.

As an after thought I built a plywood box that surrounds the lights. Keeps people from getting burned and helps keep branches from smacking the lights. Best $20 I ever spent.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:41 am

vincentpa wrote:I'm looking for a handheld unit that I can stash in my layout boat, which is tight. The light has to be small-ish. The battery would have to be contained in the unit or else I lose the compactness for tight spaces in my boat.

The best light I ever used in my layout boat was the one that came with my 18 volt DeWalt saw/sawzall/drill/light kit.
The 18 volt battery lasts quite a while. Used it a lot for frog gigging and duck hunting. Then got a bigger boat. I'll still use that 18 volt spotlight from time to time. The battery cost is HIGH but once you are set up. You're good to go.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:30 pm

aunt betty wrote:[The best light I ever used in my layout boat was the one that came with my 18 volt DeWalt saw/sawzall/drill/light kit.

If you must have a rechargeable, that sure sounds like the way to go.
mudpack
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 pm

On another thread with a similar topic one guy said he used a wheelchair battery to power lights in a small boat. They are deep cycle to last longer from constant dischargeing & recharging and they are fairly compact compared to even a 24 size battery. Get one of those and a good spotlight and you should be good to go.

For a light I have a 70,000cp RAM ATV spotlight that is rubber encased and durable as heck...mine is 8+ years old and is going strong. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto-ATV ... t104194080 If the link doesn't work go to Cabelas.com, click on Auto & ATV then ATV UTV accessories then ATV accessories and look for the light.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Duramax0530 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Streamlight waypoint
Like a dog, He hunts in dreams.
Duramax0530
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum