Socks??

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Socks??

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:30 am

Howdy all. Tried the search forum, everything turned up about waders...
Is it possible to have warm feet? I have good boots. Help me out with good socks.
Please don't tell me to get battery operated socks.
Thanks!
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Re: Socks??

Postby apg36820 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 am

Double up two pairs of Smart wool socks do the trick for me
apg36820
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:05 pm

stay away form seal skins my brother in law gave me a pair wore them saturday and froze till i got back to the truck and put on under armour heat gear socks ( thinner than cold gear and my feet sweat real bad) and a good pair of wool over that
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Abomb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Ilovesidebysides wrote:Howdy all. Tried the search forum,
Thanks!

Huh. Here is one of many that I found. Hope this helps. I wear Lorpen Merino wool socks, best socks my far, with an uber thin liner sock on the real cold days.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=196621&p=1886436&hilit=socks#p1886436
Abomb
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:08 pm

I use a pair of regular cotton socks topped with a pair of them high-tech wool ones.
800 grams of thinsulate in my wader boots.
My feet never get cold.
Hands yes.
Ears yes.
Face yes.
My feet never get cold.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:11 pm

I've found I do best with a heavy weight pair of Smartwool socks without any kind of liner. Best to keep what's on your feet loose for the best possible circulation. Too much sock can be counterproductive, particularly if your boots aren't sized a bit large.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:22 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I've found I do best with a heavy weight pair of Smartwool socks without any kind of liner. Best to keep what's on your feet loose for the best possible circulation. Too much sock can be counterproductive, particularly if your boots aren't sized a bit large.

I do the same. I find that 2 pairs of socks chokes my feet and they actually get colder. If I know it's going to be really cold I'll use those adhesive foot warmers.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 pm

A good pair of merino wool socks, and on those days where the temps are single digits or minus I put in a chemical heat pack under my toes :thumbsup:
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Wool!
All turkeys must die!!!

WTN10 wrote:Mark your calendars, boys. This is the day WTN10 was wrong. The cat above is 100% correct.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:13 am

Rick Hall wrote:I've found I do best with a heavy weight pair of Smartwool socks without any kind of liner. Best to keep what's on your feet loose for the best possible circulation. Too much sock can be counterproductive, particularly if your boots aren't sized a bit large.

This is exactly what I've settled on if I want the best chance of keeping my feet warm.

I used to wear a two-layer Thermax liner sock under the wool, but it was tight on my feet and my feet got SO cold. Once I eliminated the liner, my feet were warmer! I guess it's the circulation thing....
mudpack
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:09 pm

I use one pair of merino wool socks. When it is cold, I add a whicking/insulating thin liner sock. When it is really cold, I add chemical toe warmers. I can add the liner sock because I have room in my boots.The boots aren't squeezing my feet and hindering circulation. Buy your boots big enough for the liner sock. It makes a big difference. That's coming from a guy that has a problem with cold extremities.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 pm

X2
Boots / socks that fit too snugly are your worst enemy when trying to keep your feet warm. I'm a fan of the Lorpen wool socks.
quacknstack6 wrote:L&L is right
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby 18javelin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Anything with a higher than 88% wool REAL wool not sythethic... I Love the redhead Lifetime socks. I have worn out a few pair return without reciept and no hassles get a new pair sir.... Cant beat that. But i agree Loose is best and i dont like anything more than 600 gram boots otherwise my feet sweat. get into single digits i wear a artic shelid boot cover with a handwarmer inside on to of boots.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:20 pm

I like the heat of the wool... but the itch was killing me, then someone gave me some Alpaca wool (or fur or whatever) and they are so soft and keep my feet soooo warm.... gonna get me a few more pair.
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:34 pm

aunt betty wrote:I use a pair of regular cotton socks topped with a pair of them high-tech wool ones.

Cotton socks: worst thing you could wear in cold weather, probably in ANY weather...
Wool socks: US waterfowlers have been wearing wool for 250 years, or more. But that doesn't mean they don't work, because they do. For socks, wool is hard to beat for waterfowlers.
mudpack
hunter

Postby kyblackangus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:58 pm

18javelin wrote:Anything with a higher than 88% wool REAL wool not sythethic... I Love the redhead Lifetime socks. I have worn out a few pair return without reciept and no hassles get a new pair sir.... Cant beat that. But i agree Loose is best and i dont like anything more than 600 gram boots otherwise my feet sweat. get into single digits i wear a artic shelid boot cover with a handwarmer inside on to of boots.

The Redhead Lifetime socks are unreal. Especially considering they are around 10 dollars a pair and made in the USA. The only Redhead product I would buy again.
kyblackangus
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Cabela's or Bass Pro Lifetime socks with lifetime liners. If it doesn't work or they ever tear up you can get them replaced.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby johnmoses » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Underarmour socks are GREEEAAATTT!!!
johnmoses
hunter

Postby ryan p09 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:25 am

I used to try all kinds of wool socks but nothing worked... My feet would get cold because they would swet on the way to the blind or to the boat ramp..... Try just regular cotton socks but wear regular shoes or flip flop in your vehicle till you put boots or waders on and you should be fine! My feet don't get cold now and all I wear is cotton socks! Works for me hopefully you too
Muddy Water Camo Field-Staff
Jeb's Head Hunter Choke Tubes Pro-Staff
ryan p09
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 am

What do you mean by Smartwool?
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:29 pm

vincentpa wrote:

Smartwool-

http://www.smartwool.com/mens/ultimate- ... -1203.html
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 pm

I fought cold feet in waders for a long time. I finally bought waders with 1600 grams of thinsulate in the boots. Now I just wear my normal old hanes cotton socks, and it doesnt matter how cold it is my feet are always warm.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:32 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

Smartwool-

I can't say whether Smartwool makes the best Merino wool (non itchy) socks, only that they make darn good ones. I've pairs three different weights, and they've all held up well to enough years of use to make their high initial cost a sound investment.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Re: Re: Socks??

Postby vincentpa » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
NHDuckHunter wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

Smartwool-

I can't say whether Smartwool makes the best Merino wool (non itchy) socks, only that they make darn good ones. I've pairs three different weights, and they've all held up well to enough years of use to make their high initial cost a sound investment.

They are steep in price but any wool sock is in that range anymore. Why not? Guys will pay $80+ for long underwear. I may purchase a pair. The elastic is going on my current wool socks.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
vincentpa
hunter

Re: Re: Socks??

Postby vincentpa » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
NHDuckHunter wrote:
vincentpa wrote:

Smartwool-

Damn tapatalk! Won't let ne out if this post.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
vincentpa
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum