micro crack boot repair...

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

micro crack boot repair...

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:34 pm

best solution for a pair of boots with micro cracks where the boot flexes....Plasti-dip in a spray can. If the cracks are very small.....less than 1/8"...the plasti-dip is the perfect solution to get more life from your waders.

One can will put 5-6 coats on one boot...

At $5~6 dollars a can, it's a great solution for leaky boots from micro cracks at the camp!

hang them and let them dry for 4-5 hours and they are good to go! stuff is tough. It's the same stuff that covers tool handles. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: micro crack boot repair...

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:44 pm

I used the 3M 5200 marine adhesive and sealant that Rick Hall suggested a long time ago. It is more flexible and a thicker coating that is more resistent to punctures from stickers and blind nails. It can also be used for a seam sealant.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 pm

QH's Paw wrote:I used the 3M 5200 marine adhesive and sealant that Rick Hall suggested a long time ago. It is more flexible and a thicker coating that is more resistent to punctures from stickers and blind nails. It can also be used for a seam sealant.

thing about micro cracks is that there is usually a thousand of them, and they cover a large area where the boot flexes. would take a lot of urethane to cover them. But for punctures and gashes-nothing beats a urethane sealer!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby YeOldeDrumstick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:44 pm

Has anyone tried spraying this directly on neoprene?
Like jewels in a crown, the precious stones glistened in the queen's round metal hat.
YeOldeDrumstick
hunter

Postby YeOldeDrumstick » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Indaswamp wrote: *SNIP*
hang them and let them dry for 4-5 hours and they are good to go! stuff is tough. It's the same stuff that covers tool handles. :thumbsup:

Did you let them dry between coats, or did you spray on all the coats on at once, & then let them dry?
Like jewels in a crown, the precious stones glistened in the queen's round metal hat.
YeOldeDrumstick
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:49 pm

YeOldeDrumstick wrote:
Indaswamp wrote: *SNIP*

Did you let them dry between coats, or did you spray on all the coats on at once, & then let them dry?

I waited about 15 minutes between coats.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Odrab » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:41 pm

This looks like a great idea. I tried Aquaseal on a larger crack in my boot where it flexes but it's not working too well.

Did you just wash the boots with soap and water before spraying?
Odrab
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:49 pm

This is simply brilliant. What I'd expect from the Indabros.
GREAT IDEA.

I'm miles from the nearest place to get anything and this looks like a product that goes on the shelf at camp for when Justin Case shows up. A real hunt-saver.
Thanks for sharing.

I'm preparing to buy tool dip and some 16 penny nails. We need something in our blinds to keep guns from tipping.
Will dip them and then pound 'em in later. You think this spray stuff would work on nails AFTER they are pounded in?
Less messy on my hands.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:21 pm

aunt betty wrote:This is simply brilliant. What I'd expect from the Indabros.
GREAT IDEA.

I'm miles from the nearest place to get anything and this looks like a product that goes on the shelf at camp for when Justin Case shows up. A real hunt-saver.
Thanks for sharing.

I'm preparing to buy tool dip and some 16 penny nails. We need something in our blinds to keep guns from tipping.
Will dip them and then pound 'em in later. You think this spray stuff would work on nails AFTER they are pounded in?
Less messy on my hands.

I would use the dip for the nails because it is thicker. you have to clean the boots really well with soap and water, then with acetone so the plasti-dip will stick. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:44 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
aunt betty wrote:This is simply brilliant. What I'd expect from the Indabros.
GREAT IDEA.

Thanks for sharing.

Less messy on my hands.

I would use the dip for the nails because it is thicker. you have to clean the boots really well with soap and water, then with acetone so the plasti-dip will stick. :thumbsup:

I kind figured the tool dip would work better on nails. Better get a couple cans of the spray and one of the dip.
We're building a duck-hanging board like BBHC. Not as nice of course...

Here's a tip that'll help you guys NOT get them micro-cracks in the first place.
Rubber's enemy is a gas called OZONE.
If you keep your waders stored inside a garbage bag and that bag inside one of them rubber-made storage totes like I do on the off season. Your wader boots will stay nice and rubbery for a VERY long time.

In other words isolate your rubber boots and waders from the atmosphere whenever you're storing them. Make sure they are absolutely dry first or the mildew will ruin them.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:25 pm

hey Betty...why not just buy galvanized nails? cheaper and they will resist rusting. :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum