Fleece clothing

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Fleece clothing

Postby Greenhead Rocker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:12 am

Needing to get some new fleece clothing. Only thing really affordable is either Natgear or the Macks brand in Avery's patterns. I've had some natgear before and like the fit and warmth, but have seen some issues with zippers and colors going bad. Anyone have any experience with the Mack's brand fleece? I like both the natgear pattern and the buck brush pattern, but can't decide which is the better overall garment.
Greenhead Rocker
hunter

Re: Fleece clothing

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:39 am

I find fleece to be great as an undergarment and lousy as an outer.
Even in foggy mist (forget rain!) it hold moisture, when underneath it seems to wick.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:02 am

I know you arent asking specifically about nat gear brand, but this fleece vest is the thickest, warmest fleece vest that I could find and it also has the wind blocker layer. I love it and its a much better value than other brands.

https://www.naturalgear.com/products/12 ... t-164.aspx
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Garand » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I find fleece to be great as an undergarment and lousy as an outer.
Even in foggy mist (forget rain!) it hold moisture, when underneath it seems to wick.

What he said!

If you're layering with it you aren't limited to who makes camo stuff. Mountaineering companies have been making GREAT fleece layering jackets for years. Pick up something in tan/brown/green/gray and wear it under a windproof/waterproof lighter weight jacket and you'll stay toasty warm well below temps that make the lake rigid..

Not all fleece is created equal, here is a link to a fleece buyers guide

http://www.backcountry.com/sc/fleece-jacket-guide
Garand
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 pm

Garand wrote:If you're layering with it you aren't limited to who makes camo stuff. Mountaineering companies have been making GREAT fleece layering jackets for years.

What he said. I use lots of fleece as my undergarments/layering. In this capacity, color is not important, but I try to buy in earth tones: greens, browns. I have little experience with MPW's fleece, having gotten 99% of my fleece on sale at Cabela's, from the Sportsman's Guide cataloge, Duluth Trading, etc. Mack's sells good stuff generally, so I would not be afraid to purchase their stuff, if they have exactly what you want.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm wit' you guys. Huge fan of fleece vests as mid layers, but recently bought Cabela's berber fleece hooded jacket on half price sale and couldn't imaging wearing it for the type of waterfowling or even deer hunting I do. Would soon be a soggy, muddy, burr-ridden mess, plus I found the arms too bulky for freedom of movement when I tried a shell over it. I'd have sent it back, if Chereaux hadn't commandeered it for cleaner, less active duty like attending football games and such. Could be the bomb for that.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:13 pm

I know you are not specifically asking about it but check out Cabelas fleece with windshear, very warm, wind proof and reasonable proced
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Mack's makes great stuff, they make the best neoprene waders I've ever owned. However, I wear I size 15/16 so I am very limited.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby super90 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:19 pm

I don't consider synthetic fleece to be an outer layer (water or moisture resistant/proof) , but instead, a middle layer. It is insulation. If you are dealing with moisture, you need a layer over it, and something breathable is best. And yes, too much bulk in a fleece can be bad. (As an aside, even soaking wet, it is a far, far better insulator than cotton, which is to be totally avoided !!)

Other layers I use are Primaloft jackets. Same issue; they are insulation.

I buy my fleece wherever there is a sale and in black, gray, brown or olive and wear camo over it. Look on SierraTradingPost or Campmor or Backcountry or REI for sales.
super90
hunter

Postby MattMontana » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:35 pm

I bought an Eddie Bauer fleece pullover a few years ago, on sale for less than $20. Had to buy it at that price. It's light weight, but extremely dense fleece. And it's as well made as any piece of gear I own. If it had a windshear layer, it would be perfect. I have a closet full of fleece pullovers, but that is still the "go to" these days. I don't think I have ever been cold while wearing it. But I agree. Fleece should only be used as a layer when it's wet out. It's called outerwear, but I won't use it for that unless it's dry.
MattMontana
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:14 am

MattMontana wrote: Fleece should only be used as a layer when it's wet out. It's called outerwear, but I won't use it for that unless it's dry.

....and windless. :wink:
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:17 am

Rick Hall wrote:I'm wit' you guys. Huge fan of fleece vests as mid layers, but recently bought Cabela's berber fleece hooded jacket on half price sale and couldn't imaging wearing it for the type of waterfowling or even deer hunting I do. Would soon be a soggy, muddy, burr-ridden mess, plus I found the arms too bulky for freedom of movement when I tried a shell over it. I'd have sent it back, if Chereaux hadn't commandeered it for cleaner, less active duty like attending football games and such. Could be the bomb for that.

I bought Cabela's Berber outfitter's jacket about 10 years ago, and my thoughts on it are the very same: makes a cool sports jacket, but a poor hunting jacket. It's even too short at the waist to make a good layering piece....
mudpack
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum