Rubber boots vs leather boots

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Rubber boots vs leather boots

Postby gatogordo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:35 am

I have a pair of leather 600 gram boots, that on 20 degrees or less days, when sitting, my feet get cold. I wear wool sock with a wick away liner. My feet are ususally good for about 2 hours of sitting. I am looking to go up in grams of thinsulate. We hunt mainly deep water and fields. In deep water (old mining pits)we rig decoys up together so we only get in about 1-2 feet of water then it drops 20 feet.. I have a nice pair of waders, that I rarely wear. If we had more rain this year they would be used a lot more. So I have been looking at at least 1200 grams. Thats the same as my waders. I just want to know what are the pros and cons of rubber and leather. I have wore leather only. Due to my calves being to big for rubber boots. I have lost 80 lbs and can get rubber boots on, with pants tucked in. So let me hear what you prefer and why.

Thanks
gatogordo
hunter

Re: Rubber boots vs leather boots

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:52 am

Somehow I just can't seem to wrap my arms around the thought of leather boots and waterfowling.
Perhaps it's just me....

If I'm hunting waterfowl, there is....at the very least....the probability of encountering water, usually LOTS of water. Wearing anything other than rubber footwear just isn't an option for me. (True even field hunting for geese/ducks)
I'd have to go with rubber boots.
mudpack
hunter

Re: Rubber boots vs leather boots

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:21 pm

do not want leather if you're constantly walking in water/ getting boots wet.

I've got leather work boots but as soon as it rains, gets muddy, or I'm unwrapping hay bales in the snow the muck boots come out.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum