Jacket Suggestions

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Jacket Suggestions

Postby dl1340 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:03 pm

Looking for some input on jacket. I currently have Drake MST Eqwader 1/4 zip pullover. It works fine, but looking for something for when it is raining mostly. Looked at Columbia Wigeon Jackets, but two gripes, it is very short and had trouble getting my hands in bottom pockets. Also looked at Browning dirty bird wader jacket, it was longer but more bulky than the columbia. Anyone tried the cabela's dry-plus@dri-fowl II 4-in-1 wading jacket out. Open to suggestions. Thanks
dl1340
hunter

Re: Jacket Suggestions

Postby Fowl Intentions » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:49 pm

I know people complain about the price but if you can, try on a Sitka Delta wading jacket. These are Gore-Tex so it will keep you dry and has plenty of pockets for everything. I was using a Columbia wader Widgeon for years and liked it but it would leak. I went to this jacket this season and one main thing I like is that the Sitka is super light weight. You could fit it into a blind bag, not bulky and it will last for years to come. I like to spend my dollar on good gear and not replace it every season and Sitka has the best customer service. I spend a lot of days in the duck marsh and the jackets you wear will determine how long you can stay out there. Also wading jackets are designed to be short, for wading, if you are looking for something a bit longer start looking at the parkas. Also where are you located, do you get a lot of rain? Pacific Northwest or Southeast bayou? Hope this helps some.

cheers
erich
Fowl Intentions
hunter

Postby SouthernDucks » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Both my dad and I got Cabela's jackets 4 years ago and still have yet to have a problem. No leaks, well located pockets, and warm. I would highly recommend any jacket they make. I have pretty much only heard positives, while many others seem to be hype and thus over priced. Always pick Cabelas in my opinion with jackets.

Good luck!
"Hunting is the end in itself."
SouthernDucks
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:34 pm

I have a Cabelas jacket that is 15 years old at least, still doesn't leak, looks brand new.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Get a camo Hodgeman rain coat and wear it over your Drake pullover or parka and you will be 100% dry. You can even cut the jacket a bit short to have access to pockets if you choose. I've used most every brand of Gore Tex, Dry Plus, etc, etc parka that claimed to be "Waterproof" and none of them have kept me dry when it rains all day. A rain coat over the top will keep you dry without restricting movement to shoot.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Re: Re: Jacket Suggestions

Postby vincentpa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:01 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:I have a Cabelas jacket that is 15 years old at least, still doesn't leak, looks brand new.

Same here. About the same age too. I even washed once and it still kept me dry in a downpour. It's just a wading jacket and not well enough insulated for the late season up here. I will still wear it in the early season. I just bought a Columbia but haven't worn it yet because its too warm.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:04 pm

I have been on the market for a new waterfowl jacket this year. I was pretty much set on the Cabelas 4-1 series since I have bought Cabelas brand before and have been happy in the past. Well after searching online I came across Columbia. I just got the Columbia electric wader Widgeon jacket. It normally goes for $1200-$1400 but its on sale for $300. I figured I would spend $200ish on a Cabelas jacket so what's a little bit more. After talking to a lady from Columbia she told me they are only being sold at discount price since only smaller sizes remain (XS,S,MD) and they need to move them out. She said the price is only good until they sold out so I jumped on it. Columbia has a really good return policy and customer service so worse case scenario if I didn't like it I could send it back. The jacket itself runs a little large which is great because I normally take a Large and the Medium fits great. If you can fit in any of these sizes the jacket is a steal for the price. After reading many forums and websites on waterfowl jacket reviews, this jacket is the only one I found that didn't have negative reviews other then the ridiculously high price.

As for the jacket itself, first impressions are that the garment is very well made and constructed. The electric heating is pretty awesome. The heating units and batteries connect with a USB cord which is convenient. You can use the battery's to charge anything that has a USB connection so if your phone battery dies you can actually charge it through USB. The lowest setting is more then enough to keep you warm and if you leave it on lowest setting it will last a continuous 6hrs. The highest setting goes for 4hrs. Another thing I liked was the shell is what has the electric heat so I could also unzip the shell and wear it under my deer hunting clothes in late season. It's waterproof, and has pockets designed to put things you want to keep dry (cell phone, keys). I find that the pockets themselves have enough adequate storage for holding what I need. One of the posts above state that the pockets aren't deep or big enough but I think the poster was referring to a different jacket. Their are numerous Widgeon jackets in the Columbia lineup, many of which aren't even listed on the website anymore. The lady I spoke with mentioned the Widgeon jacket is more like a Widgeon series. From what she said, there are wader jackets and normal jackets called Widgeon. Their are also widgeon shells and even back a few years I think they had widgeon waders. Getting back to the product, I can't comment on it's field performance since I still haven't hunted with it yet. I will give an update after I have put it to the test.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:35 pm

Cabelas Dri Plus Dri-fowl parka, I own one and it is awesome! Get one now while its on sale.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby The Drake » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:59 pm

duckdozer wrote:Cabelas Dri Plus Dri-fowl parka, I own one and it is awesome! Get one now while its on sale.

YEP, got mine in the jacket, very nice
The Drake
hunter

Postby aaronoto » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:19 pm

Tried a Cabela's 4+1 and really wanted to like it but the fit was horrible for me. I ended up with an Under Armour Skysweeper Extreme.
aaronoto
hunter

Postby AB_Gunner » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Anybody know the differences between the 4 in 1 brush buster and the dri plus dri fowl jacket?
AB_Gunner
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:25 am

AB_Gunner wrote:Anybody know the differences between the 4 in 1 brush buster and the dri plus dri fowl jacket?

The Brush Buster is Gortex & Dry Fowl is Dry Plus. Get the Gortex :yes:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:46 am

AB_Gunner wrote:Anybody know the differences between the 4 in 1 brush buster and the dri plus dri fowl jacket?

about $100, I hunt about 45-55 days a yr and have had it(dri-plus, dri-fowl) for 4 yrs now it looks like it did day one and It still keeps me dry and warm.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby apg36820 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:24 am

Since you are just looking for a waterproof shell i would reccomend the columbia Camo watertight jacket. they run quite big so you can really wear anything you want to underneath it. It will fit right over your drake jacket and keep you compeltey dry for around 100 dollers.
apg36820
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 am

apexhunter wrote:Get a camo Hodgeman rain coat and wear it over your Drake pullover or parka and you will be 100% dry. You can even cut the jacket a bit short to have access to pockets if you choose. I've used most every brand of Gore Tex, Dry Plus, etc, etc parka that claimed to be "Waterproof" and none of them have kept me dry when it rains all day. A rain coat over the top will keep you dry without restricting movement to shoot.

My experience with the various "waterproof and breathable" membranes has been like yours, as has a lot of folks who too often work in the rain, and the Hodgeman rain parka was long the standard rain gear here in South Louisiana. With many of us wearing them over the latest and greatest state of the art "waterproof and breathable" stuff. But Hodgeman quit making them.

That turned out to be a good thing for those of us who were forced to give Helly Hansen's Impertec Guide's Coat a shot. It's not only waterproof but addresses most of the Hodgeman's shortcomings with a high collar, as well as hood, cape type ventilation and side zippers allowing access to pants pockets without opening the front of the parka to rain. After using one for a season, I bought a second one, just in case they quit making them.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 pm

Dr^ke wrote: You can use the battery's to charge anything that has a USB connection so if your phone battery dies you can actually charge it through USB.

when will it end? :no: :no: :no:

I'm hanging a sign in my blind next year- "No Cell Phones, No Electric Coats" :lol3:
If I have one more hunting partner pull a "smart" phone out to look up something in the blind 10 minutes before light I am going to shoot him.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
apexhunter wrote:Get a camo Hodgeman rain coat and wear it over your Drake pullover or parka and you will be 100% dry. You can even cut the jacket a bit short to have access to pockets if you choose. I've used most every brand of Gore Tex, Dry Plus, etc, etc parka that claimed to be "Waterproof" and none of them have kept me dry when it rains all day. A rain coat over the top will keep you dry without restricting movement to shoot.

My experience with the various "waterproof and breathable" membranes has been like yours, as has a lot of folks who too often work in the rain, and the Hodgeman rain parka was long the standard rain gear here in South Louisiana. With many of us wearing them over the latest and greatest state of the art "waterproof and breathable" stuff. But Hodgeman quit making them.

That turned out to be a good thing for those of us who were forced to give Helly Hansen's Impertec Guide's Coat a shot. It's not only waterproof but addresses most of the Hodgeman's shortcomings with a high collar, as well as hood, cape type ventilation and side zippers allowing access to pants pockets without opening the front of the parka to rain. After using one for a season, I bought a second one, just in case they quit making them.

Is this a jacket or specifically a raincoat? What's it made from? Right now I keep a $1 clear plastic pocho in my bag just in case my jacket starts to leak for the first time in 15 years. I must've been lucky with my Cabelas Dry plus wading jacket. Just wish it were warmer.

Last edited by vincentpa on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Dr^ke wrote:I have been on the market for a new waterfowl jacket this year. I was pretty much set on the Cabelas 4-1 series since I have bought Cabelas brand before and have been happy in the past. Well after searching online I came across Columbia. I just got the Columbia electric wader Widgeon jacket. It normally goes for $1200-$1400 but its on sale for $300. I figured I would spend $200ish on a Cabelas jacket so what's a little bit more. After talking to a lady from Columbia she told me they are only being sold at discount price since only smaller sizes remain (XS,S,MD) and they need to move them out. She said the price is only good until they sold out so I jumped on it. Columbia has a really good return policy and customer service so worse case scenario if I didn't like it I could send it back. The jacket itself runs a little large which is great because I normally take a Large and the Medium fits great. If you can fit in any of these sizes the jacket is a steal for the price. After reading many forums and websites on waterfowl jacket reviews, this jacket is the only one I found that didn't have negative reviews other then the ridiculously high price.

As for the jacket itself, first impressions are that the garment is very well made and constructed. The electric heating is pretty awesome. The heating units and batteries connect with a USB cord which is convenient. You can use the battery's to charge anything that has a USB connection so if your phone battery dies you can actually charge it through USB. The lowest setting is more then enough to keep you warm and if you leave it on lowest setting it will last a continuous 6hrs. The highest setting goes for 4hrs. Another thing I liked was the shell is what has the electric heat so I could also unzip the shell and wear it under my deer hunting clothes in late season. It's waterproof, and has pockets designed to put things you want to keep dry (cell phone, keys). I find that the pockets themselves have enough adequate storage for holding what I need. One of the posts above state that the pockets aren't deep or big enough but I think the poster was referring to a different jacket. Their are numerous Widgeon jackets in the Columbia lineup, many of which aren't even listed on the website anymore. The lady I spoke with mentioned the Widgeon jacket is more like a Widgeon series. From what she said, there are wader jackets and normal jackets called Widgeon. Their are also widgeon shells and even back a few years I think they had widgeon waders. Getting back to the product, I can't comment on it's field performance since I still haven't hunted with it yet. I will give an update after I have put it to the test.

I bought it too. The same Columbia wading jacket shell is $300. The liner without the heating system is $150. That's $450 without the heating system. I bought mine from Macks, size medium for $300 as you did. Rogers has the bigger sizes for $300.

vincentpa
hunter

Re: Re: Re: Jacket Suggestions

Postby vincentpa » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:57 pm

vincentpa
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:59 pm

vincentpa wrote:Is this a jacket or specifically a raincoat? What's it made from?

http://www.high-mountain-outfitters.com/Helly-Hansen-Impertech-Guide-Coat-ICC.htm?gclid=CNSrtfW6hrQCFQY5nAod_wcAvw
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 pm

I use a simple rain coat over my parka or whatever insulated clothing. After getting soaking wet (like a drowned muskrat wet) wearing various "waterproof" parkas in an all day rain I decided a true rain coat would definitely provide a waterproof shell. when hunting from a boat or an above water blind without wearing waders I have a calf length raincoat to wear that keeps me totally dry and is easy to shoot in.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:11 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
vincentpa wrote:Is this a jacket or specifically a raincoat? What's it made from?

http://www.high-mountain-outfitters.com/Helly-Hansen-Impertech-Guide-Coat-ICC.htm?gclid=CNSrtfW6hrQCFQY5nAod_wcAvw

Thanks Rick. I wish they had my size for that price. I'm going to keep my eye out for it.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Dan Mallia » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:29 am

I sold all of my other waterfowl gear when I heard that Sitka was coming out with a waterfowl line. I'd been a huge fan of the Sitka Big Game line of clothing so it was a no-brainer for me to make the investment in their waterfowl gear.

I've been very happy with their stuff. As mentioned above, sounds like you are looking for a jacket to wear in the rain. If you went the Sitka route, the Delta would be a good start. Lightweight, waterproof and as erich mentioned, you can stuff away in your pack for when you need it. If you wanted some insulation and not having to deal with a bulky jacket, the Hudson would be another option. I've been wearing these jackets all season in various incliment weather conditions and haven't been let down. :thumbsup:
Dan Mallia
hunter

Postby WoodDuck21 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Suprised it hasnt been mentioned, but the Under Armour waterfowl gear has treated me extremley well. I have the skysweeper jacket, as well as the gloves and both have held up great. Warm and waterproof. I run drake on dry days, but wouldnt be caught dead wearing them with even a light rain. The Under Armour stuff though is solid. Doesnt seem as bulky as some of the other jackets out there as well. 100% satisfied thus far.
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby mel-lyn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info Rick, I just ordered a Helly Hansen jacket off the website for less than $60 shipped. For that price if its no count, it will make a good console cover
Dennis
mel-lyn
Newb

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum