Layout blind question

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Layout blind question

Postby tkimber32 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:35 am

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum and not sure if this is where i'm suppose to post this but I will give it a whorl. I was looking into getting a layout blind (first one) but i'm not sure what one will be the best for me. I have some money to spend on it, just want to make sure I get the facts before i spend some money on something I will end up disliking. I've been looking at the Ultimate Goosebuster from Rogers right or just other ones from cabelas or gander mountain. My concerns are the fact i'm 6'4 and just want to make sure I can fit it comfortably. I can get a good deal on one is why i'm asking specifically about the goosebuster. If you have any other recommendations that would be great as well! I appreciate everyone who is willing to help. Thanks guys
tkimber32
hunter

Re: Layout blind question

Postby REM1100 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:55 am

First check out the advertised dimensions, then go to the store for a final fit. I have just bought a Cabelas Mobile 1 it has dimensions 27"Wx80"Lx17"H was on sale for $100
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby apg36820 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:56 am

If you have the abaility go to the store and they usually will have some out that you can try. I know that Rogers have every layout blind that they sell set up in the store. they will let you take them down off the shelf and lay in them to determine which fits best. im 6ft 250 and have the goosebuster XL. i fit into it with more than enough room probally a good foot of space left in the foot area of my blind. Also look at the Rogers springboard assembly it helps the bigger guys get up and out of their blind.
apg36820
hunter

Postby JHILL » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:00 pm

I went with a Tangle Free Landing Zone, not as roomy as the FA Legacy I had or as the TF Dead Zone . Folds up to a managable backpacker if needed. I am 6' 5 265+/- lol , i'ts tighter than i'd like but a fair trade off for portability. IIRC Rodgers has the same blinds made for them by TF, with there features added.

:beer:

http://www.tanglefree.com/products/blin ... zone-blind
JHILL
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:06 pm

I just got the TF dead zone and absolutely love it. Had been using a cabelas northern flight (not the ultimate) and it was a pain in the butt. Nice blind but was too small for me and the floppy doors were annoying..
cn44
hunter

Postby JHILL » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:04 pm

cn44 have you hauled it as a backpacker yet? that was my concern with the Dead Zone. The Landing Zone packs ok but is a bit snug for my liking . the DZ folded is quite a bit bigger
JHILL
hunter

Postby Henrycountykid » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:08 pm

REM1100 wrote:First check out the advertised dimensions, then go to the store for a final fit. I have just bought a Cabelas Mobile 1 it has dimensions 27"Wx80"Lx17"H was on sale for $100
I have a mobile 1 also. It is small but im only 5'4" so it dont matter.
Henrycountykid
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:30 pm

JHILL wrote:cn44 have you hauled it as a backpacker yet? that was my concern with the Dead Zone. The Landing Zone packs ok but is a bit snug for my liking . the DZ folded is quite a bit bigger

Not in the field I haven't since we can drive right out but around the yard I carried it around just to try it out. I got it positioned high enough that it didn't hit the back of my calves but I also wasn't wearing a very heavy jacket so I could really sinch it up but not sure if it would work with a heavy coat. I do REALLY enjoy laying in it though. Like I said, I wasn't very comfortable with the soft door blinds and would have almost rather just thrown some burlap and field junk over me than use them.
cn44
hunter

Postby cthemfly25 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm in the market too. Looking at the Rogers Goosebuster and the Cabelas northern flight. Then someon recommended a FA (can't remember which one). I'm 6 foot 185 solid steel sinew and ripped muscle (maybe I'm overstating that a bit...a bunch). Anyway, no place around here carries that sort of thing let alone in any variety so I'm really dependent on reviews and input here. My criteria of course is portability, 18lbs and under, durability, simplicity in setting up, waterproof floor, and visibility. I'd pay more for quality. No use having something you don't like or plan to have for a year. Any thoughts
cthemfly25
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:22 pm

One thing I would say is to buy your blind from someone like Roger's or Cabelas that have a great track record of providing good customer service. In past years Final Approach sold a bunch of snow covers that glowed like a black light. They sold that junk and wouldn't make it right. Avery will market junk and not give any customer service support. If you deal with a good retailer you can get assistance when the manufacturer won't stand behind their products. Rogers and Cabelas are both good and stand behind their gear.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum