Beavertail predator

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Beavertail predator

Postby Heinz87 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:59 am

Does anybody have or hunted out of one of these. I'm looking to get sum, to hunt in my flooded fields just curious if I could get some feedback about them. Thanks
Heinz87
hunter

Re: Beavertail predator

Postby Heinz87 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:03 pm

Anybody got any info?
Heinz87
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:39 pm

I have the older version of it ... when it was made and sold by Otter Outdoors. It works very well, though you need to carry a large sponge if you're getting in and out of it in water, because your waders will bring in a lot of water during the process. I put 4 I bolts where they're shown in the pic. with fender washers underneath, to help support the blind if I hunted in water deep enough that the blind had to float. I made 4 poles out of 1/2" conduit, with I bolts near the top. I'd take a half hitch around the poles at the blind level and tie them off at the I bolt in the pole.

To keep the weight off the I bolts in the blind, I ran the ropes under the blind, and fastened the two halves with a gated link. You can tie the ropes together, but they drag in vegetation. Using the link allows the ropes to be loaded into the blind and the blind will slide easier over vegetation.

The only real criticism of it is that, being square sided, you need some camo to blend the angles into the surface. The blind they sell for it does that, but you can do the same with a larger piece of camo burlap, laid over you like a blanket.

tripleb
hunter

Postby Heinz87 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:25 am

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to trying one out. Hopefully I fit I'm 6'7" so it will be close. Also that's great idea bout the sponge.
Heinz87
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:57 am

Here's a couple more pics of my modifications.

Rope harness underneath blind to support body weight

I bolt tie off on blind, fender washer underneath lip

Support pole with half hitch tied at level of blind with rope running up to I bolt tie off

The half hitch is necessary to prevent the blind's movement with your weight in it from bending the poles, as they would if the ropes are tied straight to the I bolts at the top of the poles.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Heinz87 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 am

How deep of water have you been in and still feel stable
Heinz87
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:14 pm

better wear a inflatable PFD!
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby Heinz87 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Just want to put them in a flooded rice field water may only get to 12 inches in spots but thinking I could put like wooden pallet or some thing under it
Heinz87
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:23 am

Heinz87 wrote:How deep of water have you been in and still feel stable

I've hunted in crotch deep water using the poles. The poles really don't provide any significant additional "floatation". They just keep the blind from rolling on you, since it's not a boat. The main issue is that when the water is deeper, it's hard to get into and out of.

I think it works well with water up to about knee deep. Deeper than that, you ought to be using something like a Final Attack, or similar small boat. I had a Final Attack and it worked well in those conditions. It just wasn't very efficient moving through the water under paddle power due to it's flat bottom, square nose, and short length. But, it was very low profile and stable to hunt from.
tripleb
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum