Need suggestions of ife jacket that does not get in the way

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Need suggestions of ife jacket that does not get in the way

Postby Skeet123 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:53 pm

I have a few of them and wear them but they are a bit bulky? Any suggestions on life jackets that are comfortable and do not get in the way?
Skeet123
hunter

Re: Need suggestions of ife jacket that does not get in the way

Postby rozzo842 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:50 pm

I have been looking for the same thing. This is one I have been eyeing up.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-AOI3100
rozzo842
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:03 pm

A little salty for my taste. Looks nice though.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby mike.s » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:14 pm

Look at inflatable ones. Cabelas has one on sale for $70 (item IK-943813)
mike.s
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:08 am

Look into the ones inflated by a small co2 cartridge a lot of guys that we float the rivers with winter steelgead fishing wear them the even have a few out in camo now
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:11 am

I wear a Sterns Camo inflatable always since I hunt by myself and the killswitch lanyard is always hooked to it.
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:03 am

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products

This is the one I just bought. I wanted something that I could wear on the outside or inside of my waterfowl jacket - and actually wear it!!! I like this one because it doesn't impede shooting, because it's mesh on the shoulders. It actually holds the puff of the jacket down nicely. I haven't had it that long so I can't talk about durability, but I don't see why it wouldn't hold up. It's the same material as decoy bags.

Also, FWIW, I've heard / read about inflatable lifejackets not deploying in cold weather. I don't know the validity but would like to see some tests before I'd trust them...I am always scared that they'd be like a parachute that didn't open...JUST MY LUCK LOL
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby blackrhino » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:17 am

OmegaRed wrote:http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... l+Products

This is the one I just bought. I wanted something that I could wear on the outside or inside of my waterfowl jacket - and actually wear it!!! I like this one because it doesn't impede shooting, because it's mesh on the shoulders. It actually holds the puff of the jacket down nicely. I haven't had it that long so I can't talk about durability, but I don't see why it wouldn't hold up. It's the same material as decoy bags.

Also, FWIW, I've heard / read about inflatable lifejackets not deploying in cold weather. I don't know the validity but would like to see some tests before I'd trust them...I am always scared that they'd be like a parachute that didn't open...JUST MY LUCK LOL

I know mine fell out of the boat last year before dawn and it damn sure deployed! Scared the ship out of me. They also have a pull to deploy handle and a manual inflate tube.
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:30 am

If you're hunting in cold weather, I wouldn't buy an inflatable. I gave one for warm weather that is Luke a belt. Most inflatables are not Coast Guard approved for cold weather. Most inflatables have a disclaimer on the permanence tags stating that inflatable should not be worn below freezing. Besides, if you go in and the water is freezing, you will lose fine muscle function and coordination. There is a good chance you won't be able to find the rip cord in the confusion. Even if you did, you may not physically be able to pull it. I use an Onyx vest that us designed for motion and shooting. It's comfortable and doesn't restriction movement. I got mine on sale after the season at Macks. If you buy it, buy two sizes bigger to fit over your jacket.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum