Looking for best jacket to go over layering

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Looking for best jacket to go over layering

Postby gatogordo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:56 pm

I have a drake lst 3 n 1 plus 1 coat. All together its to bulky. I am looking for a jacket to go over my layering and not add much. I was at bass pro and picked up an under armour zip up hoodie that was fairly thin but weight quite a bit. Dont remember the model but it was $169. Not for waterfowl and not waterproof, but the weight was great. Does anybody know a waterproof thin coat thats weighty.
gatogordo
hunter

Re: Looking for best jacket to go over layering

Postby gatogordo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:15 am

Let me ask it this way. For you guys that have the waxed coats, are they less bulky? How is Filson, Mcalister and so on?

Would this be a good alternative?

Thanks
gatogordo
hunter

Postby gatogordo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Anybody? Going to gatlinburg next week. Will be shopping for a better coat. Any suggestions will help.
gatogordo
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:07 pm

The only waxed cotton I wear is an uninsulated (aside from its flannel lining) barn coat that reminds me of the grandfather who wore one like it. It blocks the wind pretty well and is water resistant, but it's also heavy and stiff compared to modern shells with so-called "breathable and waterproof" membranes that are roughly the same in terms of blocking wind and turning water.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Basspro sells a "shooters" waterfowl jacket that is wind proof water proof and it is very thin and light because it has the Arctic sheild lining, it has all the pocket like a 3 n1 wader jacket except it fits inside you waders real good. I only wear it if it gets into the 20's and below. I recomend lambswool for your first layering shirt and then another thicker lambswool shirt then your windproof breathabel jackets.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby gatogordo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:16 am

Thanks. I will check it out when I am at bass Pro.
gatogordo
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:13 am

I just bought a UA Sky Sweeper Extreme last week. On sale for $139.00. Have not hunted in it yet but a friend I hunt with swears by his. Since it's gonna be in the 50's to 70's again this weekend I still may not use it. :no:
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum