Base layer and shirt/Eqwader, upper body

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Base layer and shirt/Eqwader, upper body

Postby Lawdog » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:43 pm

I was curious what everyone's thoughts were about base layer and the next layer, such as a shirt or Eqwader, etc. I'm looking for something that will adapt to a wide range of temperatures we have in Montana over the season. I will be wearing it either under a Cabela's Brush Buster 4-in-1 wader jacket system (and with that, I rarely wear the inner jacket, just the outer one) or by itself with the waders.

Is Under Armour worth the money, for example?

For the next layer, I'm leaning toward getting the Eqwader full zip, here: http://www.drakewaterfowl.com/products/DW133.php

Or perhaps the Drake Jac-Shirt, here: http://www.drakewaterfowl.com/products/DW135.php

Cabela's also has some other options I'm looking at, such as the Windshear Legacy Fleece shirt: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

I'd love to hear from you guys.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:22 pm

I don't screw around when it comes to this stuff. Having been a ski patroller in Tahoe and done a lot of cold weather outdoors activities I have learned it is worth getting the right gear, and layer up! Also, in skiing we had a saying - cotton kills. Don't wear it outside when it is cold.

As a base layer I wear a silk weight polypropolene t shirt, and polypro boxers. My shirt is made by patagonia, but many companies make an equivalent, including underarmor.

On a very cold day next I'll put on a fleece long underwear top and fleece long underwear bottoms. Then a fleece button down shirt and fleece pants if it is really cold and I am going to be sitting.

Next you can throw on the Drake jacket or the wind shear you show up there. I'm not familiar with that jacket by Cabelas, but the wind shear is very nice. I would probably wear just that and my waders until the blocks were out and I was ready to sit down. Then throw on your big hat, and your 4-1 jacket. You should be ready to grind 'em up. the nice thing about all those layers is as it gets warmer you can peel of a couple and adjust accordingly.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:21 pm

Harvey, thanks! Agreed on all points--especially on the "cotton kills" part. I wear synthetic base layers as well--an Under Armour clone, basically. I've got the fleece wader liner too. Layering is the only way to go, and with this next purchase, I'm looking to upgrade one particluar layer--basically the one between my synthetic base and the jacket. I've been wearing a chamois shirt, which is super soft and comfy and provides just enough insulation for the mildest of days. The problem with a chamois shirt is that the base wicking layer takes all the moisture off the skin and deposits it into the chamois shirt... where it stays for the whole day. I don't care if you have Gore-Tex or anything else on top of it, that chamois shirt ain't letting go of the moisture for a good while. So, that's the layer I'm looking to change.

Anyone with any experience with the Drake Eqwader or their Jac-Shirt?
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:11 pm

Under armour is a great product....much much better than any pair of thermal underwear!! :salude:

http://www.underarmour.com/ :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:05 am

I have to agree with the patagonia gear. It isn't marketed to hunters at all. But, I think they make the best cold weather gear out there.
cuppedwings04
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:18 pm

I'm with Harvey! :thumbsup:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mmalino » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:20 am

Then drake eqwadors are sweet...i would definately recommend them...i usually have cold gear underarmor followed by the drake turtleneck then my 4-1 wigeon wading jacket by columbia (but any jacket would work) and it has been able to handle the coldest weather i've hunted in just fine :thumbsup:

but as a side note any drake clothing is well worth the money...
there pullover is phenomial :thumbsup:
Team Rainmakers
"We supply eBay with the bands you buy"

Go White Sox!!...hell with baseball its football season
mmalino
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:08 pm

Nowadays until the temp falls below freezing, an UnderArmor mock Tneck and Drake EcoTec are almost all I wear. I might put on a layer in between if it is windy, raining, or snowing. When it gets colder than that UA with my Drake coat and a layer in between are usually all I wear. My layer is usually still another layer of heaver poly, although I am known to wear chamois if I know it will be a fairly short hunt.

Patagonia and also North Face does make great stuff, I had a bunch when I was an active backpacker. I have *cough* grown a bit since then, and gave it to a buddy of mine.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:37 pm

bgoldhunter wrote:Nowadays until the temp falls below freezing, an UnderArmor mock Tneck and Drake EcoTec are almost all I wear. I might put on a layer in between if it is windy, raining, or snowing. When it gets colder than that UA with my Drake coat and a layer in between are usually all I wear. My layer is usually still another layer of heaver poly, although I am known to wear chamois if I know it will be a fairly short hunt.

Patagonia and also North Face does make great stuff, I had a bunch when I was an active backpacker. I have *cough* grown a bit since then, and gave it to a buddy of mine.

I too come from a backpacking background... lots of the NF gear here too. Can you show a link for the Drake Ecotec you are talking about?

Thanks for all the replies guys... keep 'em coming. I'll be ordering this weekend. Got some Cabela's points to finally spend. :salude:

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby super_mag » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:54 pm

heres what i wear when duck hunting in cold weather. base layer cabelas mtp polar weight long underwear. then a nofrills turtleneck sweater if its unusually cold otherwise just a long sleave t shirt. sweatpants for bottems. then a cabellas brushbuster jacket and some bibs or waders.

if its really cold the best things you can wear to stay warm are a good hat (not a benie there worthless). good mittens, gloves are ok if your doing something that your using and moving your hands. and good wool socks.
Luke
super_mag
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:15 pm

Lawdog wrote:....Got some Cabela's points to finally spend. :salude:

Gotta love em' :getdown: :getdown:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:48 pm

No link needed..it's the same as the eqwader, but I believe it was called the ecotec a few years ago when I got mine. I got the full zip so I could cool myself off if I get overheated on a hunt, and it is nice for that. However, I think I would get the half zip now for comfort under waders.

Have fun burning up those Cabelas points!
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:57 pm

Well, my Drake Eqwader quarter-zip arrived and I am impressed. Should be all I need with my waders for the first few weeks of the season. My only rant is that it's too bad none of this gear is made in the USA. Made in Vietnam just seems weird for hunting apparel, but I know it's the way of the world anymore.

I'll post up my thoughts after the opener here in Big Sky country.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:27 pm

I bought a Drake MST eqwader quarter zip up jacket too. I can't wait to wear mine this year. :cool:
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tstrong » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:39 pm

I bought the quarter zip in Oregon last year. That and the cold gear uppers and lowers buy under armour were all I ever wore. My Jacket was on for the early am waiting for shootime and then off it went.
tstrong
hunter

Postby daveduck » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:26 pm

i got under armer last year for christmas love it
daveduck
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:46 pm

I agree with the under armour, but It's WAYYYYY over prices. I'm by no means a cheap skate, but you can find generic under armour for 1/5 th the price.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby yellowlab » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:52 pm

under armour is worth it 100% yeah it is high but for how light it is it is the warmest stuff you can get. i where some cold gear then a flanal shirt over that and then my 4 in one was hunting in -10 last year and never really got that cold

you can sign you hunting time away and play college football they gve you a ton and i really mean that i think 4 or 5 heat gear ones and 3 cold gear shirts :thumbsup:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

back from the field...

Postby Lawdog » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:25 am

Howdy all! It's nice to see my topic still getting some replies.

I'm fresh back from a five day trip up to northern Montana. Sadly, the weather was very warm and I've no great duck stories to tell. But, the Eqwader did its job from 30 to 45 in the cool mornings. One thing I've not seen discussed is that it is very comfortable. One tip I'd have is to remember to cinch up the bottom of it with the cord because by itself under waders, there will a lot of room and the cold air goes right down the back and up the gaps if you don't snug it up a bit. Another thing I liked after all is the neoprene cuffs. I went into the drink one time and it sealed off the water from totally soaking my arms. So, that was a pleasant surprise. The cuffs are comfortable too, which was one of my biggest fears; I hate tight stuff on my wrists when hunting.

Not good to wear, of course, in the 75 degree afternoons we had. Darndest weather I've seen in a long time.

As for the base layer, I was wearing a cheap synthetic compression shirt, one of the "1/5 the cost of Under Armour" deals an earlier poster referenced. It did a good job keeping me dry, but as for warmth, not so good. So, I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. I've spoken to a buddy who also wears the real deal UA in athletics and he says it can't be beat. I may go ahead and drop the real cash down and try their 1/4 zip t-neck.

Will report back here when I get some more meaningful field time in the Eqwader. Until then, hope you're all enjoying the start of the season.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby OneLunG » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:53 am

Cotton only kills when it gets wet :P
OneLunG
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:15 pm

OneLunG wrote:Cotton only kills when it gets wet :P

This is no lie!!! :mrgreen: :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:52 am

you made a good choice. i use the eqwader tneck and it's great. my base layer is UA heat gear during the fall and cold gear when the temp drops. UA is definitely worth the money. (no offense intended here but...) the knock off brands aren't nearly as effectively in my opinion. i have worn both and the UA stuff is hands down much better.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:03 pm

Olive/Khahi colored mid-weight polyprop zip-neck top with a camo (advantage timber) long sleeve crew neck shirt over that. Or, in colder weather, a military weight light brown fleece zip-neck top. Then comes your outter wear layers.

REI
Sportamans warehouse

They have this stuff.
WesternHunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum