Best and worst of 2012

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: Best and worst of 2012

Postby cwilson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Tatom9 wrote:Best: metal Starbucks coffee mug (I don't drink their coffee but the mug is badass), Rogers decoy bags( price and quality are both great), and homemade jerk cords on wind up trot line holders.

Worst: French vanilla coffee in my percolator.

I picked up a Rogers bag last year & you're right, price & quality are great! I love the bag & plan to buy a 2nd just to have in case something happens to this 1.
cwilson
hunter

Postby Tur-Duck-Gun » Mon May 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Best: Tie between my Natgear Hybrid Jacket and my new lab puppy...ok the puppy totally wins hands down, but that new jacket was pretty awesome-it's just covered in lab hair these days.

Worst: Academy Sports Gadwall Decoys (bought a dozen on clearance for $18. Figured I'd spray black and use as coots...4 broke, yep broke. Like cracked broke. The rest sit funny in the water to the point I just put them back in the box)
Tur-Duck-Gun
hunter

Postby Boomstck63 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Best- enclosed trailer 2011 v nose 6x12 and five dozen full body mallards for $2800

Worst- not really a purchase but trying to find reliable hardcore buddies to hunt with.
Boomstck63
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Best- Using my homemade echo duck call instead of the primos original. :thumbsup:

Worst- Lots of ducks went missing this season.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:23 pm

BEST - Might not be 2012, but i picked up the stoeger longfowler for duck hunting. It worked good for trap, lets see how she does for wingshooting.

WORST - Probably my Garage sale chest waders. Funny story short, i got called the condom of the slough by my friends, and they ended up tearing wide open while i was shlogin through the water looking for my downed woody.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Best- K-9 Sled so much easy to pull fits in the truck nice, with my dog box inside. Dakotas decoys awesome. Homemade marsh seats, and bilge duck butt

Worst- H@R auto shotgun, had jams all the time, but shoots skeet awesome.

Wont to buy list- Dog blind, GHG ground force layout blind, Avion x duck decoys, Shotgun shells
cONG
hunter

Postby DesotoLakeHunter » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Best: Hevi Metal 3" 2s... and a Kicks High Flyer Mod for my Benelli. Great combo.

Worst: Drake Products.... went back to tried and true Filson.
DesotoLakeHunter
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Best: Cabela's light mag 800 waders in MODB/Red head uplander II boots
Worst: Remington Hypersonic Shells-- IMO complete junk
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby Mr.Blonde » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:20 am

Best: M98 Creek Boat. http://www.creekboats.com/ Gets me into tough areas and is stable.
Worst: Remington 887 Nitro Mag. (Its for sale if someone wants one)
“Heaven to me is endless cypress swamps and hardwood forests loaded with game and ducks and not a game warden around!” -Phil Robertson
Mr.Blonde
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:06 am

BEST: Hevi Shot products- Hevi Metal ROCKS birds.. Try some.

Worst: Don't have one.
rebelcj7
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Best: yar-craft 209 with a 250 and a 9.9 yamaha on it. Decked out with the latest lowerances on the market.

50hp yamaha for my 16' duck boat.

2 Lblb big brothers, I purchased 5 cases of lead shot for doves and 6 cases of steel right before the shortage....I was fully prepared for season! Lol

Frog lube: I love the stuff so far. I was turned onto it right before dove season, all I have to say is if it preforms this well in January 0 degree temps ill never t
Switch

Worst: I bought a couple more dozen GHG and tanglefrees.....I swear I'm never buying another no matter how well the look. G&h or burlapped foamers from here on out.

Cabelas supermags after 5 years of dealing with those POS not even lasting a full season I have switched to MPW grand prairie..... so far so good. They fit 10x better than cabelas supermags.
Last edited by Nelliboy2 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:40 pm

rebelp74 wrote:As far as durability how would you rate them to tanglefree, ghg, flambeau, dakota and g&h?

G&h decoys.....the rest. Its that simple.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby xrated » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:06 pm

dysco wrote:I had a pretty good year.

Best: my new/used Benelli M2 in 20ga was far better on ducks than I'd anticipated. Homemade jerk cords with kite handles and homemade paracord game straps are tied for second.

Worst: public land hunters who wanted the whole place to themselves and losing my windproof Klim Inversion dirtbike/snowmobile gloves I used for shooting for the first half of the year.

Gander Mountain has Gore Windstoppers for 30 bucks. Just got em and I love them even after only a weekend of deer hunting. 30 degrees with those and my muff I was warm handed for 12 hours. Also using a Klim Inversion coat with the WindStopper under my camo...works awesome.

Those would be my best. Otherwise I just bought a new hat and a neoprene hand muff. Been pleased with both.

I've been shooting Win Xpert for a long time. All I used to shoot, then got back into it this year after 6 away. No problems shooting from the case I had bought 6 years ago...has something changed in the production?
xrated
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:43 pm

Drake wader jkts........Cabelas seems to have dropped most or all of the Drake line.......that's gotta say sumpin about Drake junk made crap!!!!
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:31 am

for 2013

Best: USIA waders no more crappy chinese leaking seams for me. SAIGA 12 shotgun just freaking awesome to be able to unload 10 round mags on snows as fast as you can pull the trigger. Thinking about getting some 2 round clips for regular season for the saiga that thing will shoot no matter what. Takes a little getting use to how it shoots but it groups the cheap blue box federal well with the poly choke in it.

Worst: 10 round promag for the saiga the spring broke in five places after a couple of uses the agp mags are the best ones aside from the factory ones.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum