Drake vs Lacrosse waders?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Are Drake waders that much better than Lacrosse for the money? I have a pair of Lacrosse 1600G waders I got for $215 and I found a pair of Drake 1600G waders for $320. There the model DW23922-12. Whats everyones opinion on the 2? Which one y'all think is better and why.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Re: Drake vs Lacrosse waders?

Postby brandons » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:53 pm

I've had a pair of lacrosse waders for three seasons now an still going strong Idk much bout the Drake waders but I had a buddy who brought a pair an they leaked the first time out but I guess that could happen to any brand of waders but I don't see the need to pay the extra money
brandons
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:02 pm

Mine have started to leak now too. Its because the inside started to rub and rubbed a minor minor spot and will be really easy to fix. I was just curious if Drake was tougher or do they just make them try and sound better for the money.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby hayward2147 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:18 pm

i have both pairs that you are talking about. the lacrosse have had no issues with leaks. i am on my 2nd pair of drakes(first pair had minor leak and gander mountain replaced)2nd pair have lasted all saeson with no issues. i like the features on the drake waders much better. they are more comfortable to wear. only complaint with drake is they are cut low under the arms. the front is much higher than the armpit area so in deep water i get nervous about getting water over the tops.
Facepaint is for clowns and indians
hayward2147
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:57 am

ya I got a little water in my waders a week ago or so trying to retrieve a couple decoys floating away. Not fun at all! What are the better features in your opinion?
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby hayward2147 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:21 pm

they have the wading belt, all of the vertical pockets that are on the drake coats. a good center outside pocket, and the interior handwarming pocket is nice. i also like all of the "armour" like material on the butt and legs.
hayward2147
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:08 am

Wing Supply has Drake LST wader in MODB for 199 right now. JFI
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby midaoutlaw » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:13 pm

I own both. There are alot of bad reviews for the Drake waders...but I broke down and bought a pair. Found them on the Wing Supply website for only $200 (LST). Have worn them maybe twenty times this season, and I gotta tell you I like them.
midaoutlaw
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:07 pm

I have used both, neither lasted me a full season. I like the drake waders a little better but they are spendy.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:22 am

I had a pair of lacrosse and they lasted me about 2 weeks before they were leaking, the seams came apart at the crotch and water poured in. Now I use mackspw neoprene waders and cabelas dry plus breathables. The reason I use them is b/c I wear a 15-16 and they are on a the few companies that make em that big. I went through 7 pairs of cabelas neoprenes in 4 years, they stayed leaking or coming apart at the seams. I have had great luck with the cabelas dry plus though, they are extremely durable. I have had the mackspw for 3 years now and they are holding up great.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:10 pm

hayward2147 wrote:they have the wading belt, all of the vertical pockets that are on the drake coats. a good center outside pocket, and the interior handwarming pocket is nice. i also like all of the "armour" like material on the butt and legs.

My Lacross has all that except the belt. It has a huge center ourside pocket and little zipper inside pocker at the top and the hand warmer pocket works well too. The only reason mine have started to leak was because of the inside rubbing against my waterproof pants. I have the 1600 gram waders for these cold 22 degree mornings and I know I can layer down if I have too but I put some rubber cement on the outside and inside and it solved the problem. :grooving:
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:14 pm

My Lacrosse lasted me about 2 weeks before they were leaking, the seams came apart at the crotch and water poured in. I'm wondering if the seems had some bad thread or tape or something. rebelp74, I'm hoping to send them back for exchange. Actually I've been using them as back up in shallow water.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:32 am

AR Dave wrote:My Lacrosse lasted me about 2 weeks before they were leaking, the seams came apart at the crotch and water poured in. I'm wondering if the seems had some bad thread or tape or something. rebelp74, I'm hoping to send them back for exchange. Actually I've been using them as back up in shallow water.

I lik mine alot and that little hole i had I put rubber cement on inside and out and fixed the problem. Rubber cement works wonders, it also fixed the strap on my gun case too. The threading broke and i put some rubber cement on there and let it set with a clip and it works perfectly again. I have a can of it in my blind bag now.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 am

My experience with Drake anything -- waders, jackets, blind bags, vests has been nothing short of frustrating.

I think Drake quality sucks and sucks bigtime. I will never own another product with "Drake" on it. Do yourself a big favor and stick with LaCrosse.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Duckslayer26 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 pm

i have a drake blind bag & pullover. So far so good with them. they have withheld the harshest conditions i have put it all through so far. As far the the Lacross waders I just received my 2 patch kits today I will keep in my blind bag just in case the rubber cement doesnt hold up and I have to use them in them while hunting.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:00 am

Drakes quality sucks and LaCrosse's customer service sucks. Stick with Cabelas. You won't have a problem there.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:26 pm

I may have to get another pair. Im moving to SD next August.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 pm

I have a pair of LaCrosse waders that I bought in 2000 and they are still going strong. But, that was before they stopped making the boots. Now that everything has been outsourced, everyone I know has had problems with them. Too bad because they were the elite of the elite when it came to rubber and neoprene boots. Now I barely even look at their stuff.

I have nothing but good things to say about Drake equipment. Own several coats, blind bags, gun case, etc. Everything has done great. They don't make waders in my size, but I have heard very mixed opinions about them.

If you aren't doing a ton of walking, the best wader I have since found is the Grand Prairie 5mm from Mack's. Awesome wader and supper tough. The only issue is they are a thicker neoprene, so a tad more weight to carry around. But if you aren't hiking across country with a bag full of gear, they are just fine.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:32 pm

m.teeter wrote:Drakes quality sucks and LaCrosse's customer service sucks. Stick with Cabelas. You won't have a problem there.

I wanted a pair of Cabelas..but they were 6 months back ordered.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:36 pm

Give mpw a try they have outlasted the cabelas neoprenes I have owned and they make them in bottmoland.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:46 am

rebelp74 wrote:Give mpw a try they have outlasted the cabelas neoprenes I have owned and they make them in bottmoland.

thats what im gona get next.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:15 am

Duckslayer26 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Give mpw a try they have outlasted the cabelas neoprenes I have owned and they make them in bottmoland.

thats what im gona get next.

They ain't cheap, but if you can wait until March/ April time the Grand Prairie's go on a sale. I got mine a couple years ago for $100 off!
muskyduck
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 am

I have 2 pairs right now so I can wait til they go on sale! 600 grams for warmer weather and 1600 grams for them cold days.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby hayward2147 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:39 pm

well all theories are blown now. i own both brands and both are now leaking. lacrosse took a little longer but now im left with two leaky pairs. drake said if i buy a new pair and send mine back that they will credit me when they receive the leaky pair, not too bad for year old waders that I bought from a store.
hayward2147
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:47 pm

hayward2147 wrote:well all theories are blown now. i own both brands and both are now leaking. lacrosse took a little longer but now im left with two leaky pairs. drake said if i buy a new pair and send mine back that they will credit me when they receive the leaky pair, not too bad for year old waders that I bought from a store.

That is to make sure you are going to continue to spend your money with drake. I would just buy cabelas. They even got some good sells going on right now if you don't mind duck blind Camo. I won't ever own anything Drake other than their pullover. Their waders are a JOKE. I have talked to no one that has them and actually had good results from them.
m.teeter
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum