Layout Blind - Need Recomendations

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:29 am

I've never had one nor hunted from one but prolly gonna start. Can someone recommend a good one?
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Re: Layout Blind - Need Recomendations

Postby satguy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Try this one out. It has great visibility.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/310939 ... -polyester
Phowler Extreme 1856
Prodrive 36hp
Avery Quickset blind

If it ain't broke don't fix it
satguy
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Cabela's ultimate or elite. only way I'd go.

I've used and hunted from a lot of different blinds and I still prefer the Cabela's over them. my little brother got the Roger's toughman for christmas and its a nice blind but its heaveir and the face mesh part has fiberglass and is wire like Cabela's blinds. thats the only things about the toughman that me like the cabela's just a little bit more.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Dr^ke » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Go to Cabela's or a sporting goods store and lay in them and try it out. If you know anyone that has one try it out and see if you like it. The biggest factor in my opinion is size and comfort. I'm 6' about 190 # and I have the Cabela's mobile one. I fit but its a little tight and doesn't give me much wiggle room. I'm going to upgrade in the off season to the Avery Finisher. It is 6" wider and in my opinion the seat is more comfortable. This is one of those things were we can point you in a helpful direction but you have to see which feels right for you.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby noweil » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:06 pm

I am a fan of Avery's Groundforce. Been using them for a number of years. If you are a big guy maybe look at the Finisher.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby honknquackwhacker23 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:18 pm

final approach eliminator.. great blinds
honknquackwhacker23
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:31 am

Cabela's ultimate is the best that I've ever used. I tried avery, fa and rogers nothing comes close to the cabelas imo.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:53 am

I appreciate the opinions from all of you. My problem is I don't have anywhere close to try any out. I have to drive an hour to Sportsman Warehouse so I have to make a special trip. I will probably do that before I buy one though. I'm prolly gonna sell my QuickSet for the layout route. It's a bigger pain than its worth.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 pm

The hour trip is more then worth it when you consider the amount of hours you spend in the blind.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 pm

The other thing you may want to consider also is packability. If you are going to assemble it once and just throw it in the back of the truck its fine but if you need to fold up to transport its something to think about. Go on youtube or the blinds website and watch a video how to assemble up and down. This could help your decision also.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby dwbiggs » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Just bought me a Rogers Goosebuster...heard nothing but good about them. :thumbsup:
Bonafide member of the National Ringneck Hunters Association(NRHA)
dwbiggs
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Dr^ke wrote:The other thing you may want to consider also is packability. If you are going to assemble it once and just throw it in the back of the truck its fine but if you need to fold up to transport its something to think about. Go on youtube or the blinds website and watch a video how to assemble up and down. This could help your decision also.

Since I mainly hunt the lakes and river, it's just a matter of throwing it in the boat and set it up on the beach. Not a big concern there. I do agree about making the hour drive to try one out.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:35 pm

I think the Power hunter is about the lowest profile and easyiest one to set up.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby bandchaser » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:13 pm

If your hunting sand bars the only choice is the Avery Power hunter. Go with the plain biege and not the shadow grass, dig a little depression and cover it with sand and you will disappear. It works great! You will look like a sandy bump and won't flare pressured birds.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:24 pm

bandchaser wrote:If your hunting sand bars the only choice is the Avery Power hunter. Go with the plain biege and not the shadow grass, dig a little depression and cover it with sand and you will disappear. It works great! You will look like a sandy bump and won't flare pressured birds.

Good tip. Thanks. I prolly will be hunting some sand bars. But why the Power hunter?
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:34 pm

carolinagreenhead wrote:
bandchaser wrote:If your hunting sand bars the only choice is the Avery Power hunter. Go with the plain biege and not the shadow grass, dig a little depression and cover it with sand and you will disappear. It works great! You will look like a sandy bump and won't flare pressured birds.

Good tip. Thanks. I prolly will be hunting some sand bars. But why the Power hunter?

The power hunter is more low profile because it doesn't have layout blind doors just a head dome that flips down over your head. The things I don't like about this is you are basically laying flat on the ground with no support and secondly I don't like having to flip the dome up over my head on the way to shoot. I never cover my face with the mesh and I just feel like it would be a pain to be following birds in then have to lift the dome up and take your eyes off target, then find the target and shoot.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:08 pm

noweil wrote:I am a fan of Avery's Groundforce. Been using them for a number of years. If you are a big guy maybe look at the Finisher.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:57 pm

I personally cannot stand the power hunter, it's basically a big sleeping bag, and the body may be low profile but the dome is massive , it stands up higher then anyother layout that I can think of. There's zero structure which means its a pain to get in and out of, you have to keep your gun outside the blind. Not a fan
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Tipsntails7 wrote:I personally cannot stand the power hunter, it's basically a big sleeping bag, and the body may be low profile but the dome is massive , it stands up higher then anyother layout that I can think of. There's zero structure which means its a pain to get in and out of, you have to keep your gun outside the blind. Not a fan

^ this. the body of the blind is also a tight fit, I'm only 5'9" and 130lb and I feel cramped inside one.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:41 pm

I have a power hunter and I have a love/hate relationship with it. It is easily the best blind to pack in because it weighs like ten pounds, its durable and its affordable. but I also hate it because it is so uncomfortable, hard to see out of it, and its straps are super loose so grass falls out all day. I have found that with its hood, it is harder to hide than my Hunters Specialties hitman (pretty much the biggest blind I know of). If you are setting up on a river bank I would suggest a FA pro guide or if you are in the short stuff, an avery groundforce is good. hearing your situation I would not recommend a power hunter.
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:01 am

The Powerhunter does have some draw backs. Couple of suggstions that may help, I cut the mesh away around my head (about the size of a basketball maybe a bit bigger) so I can see better since I like to see the birds when calling and it is a little tough to see out of. Tie up the edges with twine. Face paint or mesh facemask is required now though mabye some brush. Also I made a neoprene mat out of old waders to lay on so I have a cold ground barrier and some help against sticks and rocks. I don't seem to mind the back rest it lets me sit up OK when things get slow. But the best suggestion is on your homework before hand and get in and get out. You won't have any complaints about a blind when birds are working well cause they can't pick you out and you are in the right spot. For sand bars and low profile required hunts it tough to beat with a few modifactions.
bandchaser
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:09 am

bandchaser wrote:The Powerhunter does have some draw backs. Couple of suggstions that may help, I cut the mesh away around my head (about the size of a basketball maybe a bit bigger) so I can see better since I like to see the birds when calling and it is a little tough to see out of. Tie up the edges with twine. Face paint or mesh facemask is required now though mabye some brush. Also I made a neoprene mat out of old waders to lay on so I have a cold ground barrier and some help against sticks and rocks. I don't seem to mind the back rest it lets me sit up OK when things get slow. But the best suggestion is on your homework before hand and get in and get out. You won't have any complaints about a blind when birds are working well cause they can't pick you out and you are in the right spot. For sand bars and low profile required hunts it tough to beat with a few modifactions.

After shelling out that kind of money for a blind you shouldn't have to make modifications. I'd be mad if I had to make tons of adjustments just to be able to hunt from the blind or suit my likings. This isn't the first time I have heard guys complaining of the blind. You would think Avery would make some changes.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby brokermike » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:14 am

I just bought a Roger's Goosebuster XL because I'm tall and fat. It's great. But best of all there is no doubting that it is supremely water proof. It took me three hours to mud the damn thing because the heavy cordura sheds water so well. It also has a really deep PVC waterproofing so you can set up in water up to 6" deep (I think 4 would be max IMHO)

On the downside it is a little heavy and you have to pull 6 pins to take it down. It takes about 5 mintues to assemble and has nice features like a flag pocket, shell pouches, etc
brokermike
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum