(Southern Hunters) All season waders?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

(Southern Hunters) All season waders?

Postby MyDogisfat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:59 pm

I have been trying to do a fair amount of research but it seems since the majority are more northern everyone goes for the 1600 mag.

However it seems when I find the few posts mentioning southern states everyone ends up saying they lost 500000 pounds in sweat (which I could lose a few pounds but eh, took to many years to put them on) Could I ask what you guys are using? I am 5'11 220, right now I am leaning towards the dry plus but not exactly sure on fit and what others use.

I have a nice pair of sitka bibs but without a dog that isnt a huge hog, I have to wade in the water to get the fowl I do get as starting up the boat everytime to retrieve a duck is getting annoying. (when I say annoying I mean the 5 ducks I have gotten in my life time because my duck call sounds like a dying cat)

Thanks guys. (I would prefer ones with boots, but ones without are fine also as I have a couple pairs of simms wading shoes, I just did not want to get the felt all mucky)
MyDogisfat
hunter

Re: (Southern Hunters) All season waders?

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Cabela's dry plus breathables are great. They seem like they are flimbsy and weak but they are extremely durable. I was scouting a spot on a wma, walk in only, and these things bush brusted with no problems, I walked 5 or so miles and wasn't sweating like I had waders on. The only complaint I have is that the chest and torso area is way too big. They are the most durable wader I have bought from cabela's.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby MyDogisfat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:39 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Cabela's dry plus breathables are great. They seem like they are flimbsy and weak but they are extremely durable. I was scouting a spot on a wma, walk in only, and these things bush brusted with no problems, I walked 5 or so miles and wasn't sweating like I had waders on. The only complaint I have is that the chest and torso area is way too big. They are the most durable wader I have bought from cabela's.

Good to hear, I am a fatty so hopefully I can fill them up. I do hear they sit a little bit low however. How do you gauge the shoe size on them? I wear a 9 1/2 no clue if i should get the 9 or 10
MyDogisfat
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:29 pm

MyDogisfat wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Cabela's dry plus breathables are great. They seem like they are flimbsy and weak but they are extremely durable. I was scouting a spot on a wma, walk in only, and these things bush brusted with no problems, I walked 5 or so miles and wasn't sweating like I had waders on. The only complaint I have is that the chest and torso area is way too big. They are the most durable wader I have bought from cabela's.

Good to hear, I am a fatty so hopefully I can fill them up. I do hear they sit a little bit low however. How do you gauge the shoe size on them? I wear a 9 1/2 no clue if i should get the 9 or 10

I am too. I got wear a 15/16 so I the size 15, it was the biggest boot size they make. I'm 6'3'' 250 and could put another me in it probably. They are huge in the torso are. I can wear bibs and a 4-1 under them and still have extra room.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby MyDogisfat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:24 pm

Jeez well I am around 47" i think at the chest. Going to try these ones? http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... tId=731364 I mean I have 400 to spend but i always love saving money
MyDogisfat
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:29 pm

Those are the same ones I got, mine are in the mossy oak duck blind pattern. They are the best that cabela's make from my experience.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby MyDogisfat » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:57 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Those are the same ones I got, mine are in the mossy oak duck blind pattern. They are the best that cabela's make from my experience.

Yeah I ended up gettin them... I see "sale" and i buy.. even though I know that 160 will turn into 120 or 100 once the hunting seasons are fully over.
MyDogisfat
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm the same way, I only buy on sale. They are really good quality waders, hope you like em as much as I have.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:02 pm

They were regular 200 I saw them on sale for 150ish and didn't blink, best waders I ever got from cabelas.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:36 pm

I am looking for a 600 gram boot with like a 3mm neoprene. What are you wearing under the waders to keep warm with the thin ones? Because I wore some Lacrosse Alpha foxtrotts and like to of froze standing in water this morning... It was 50 F. But I had only jeans on under it...
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:56 pm

YJSONLY wrote:I am looking for a 600 gram boot with like a 3mm neoprene. What are you wearing under the waders to keep warm with the thin ones? Because I wore some Lacrosse Alpha foxtrotts and like to of froze standing in water this morning... It was 50 F. But I had only jeans on under it...

I wear some redhead 3.5mm 600 gram waders for all season. I usually wear some prima loft or polypropylene thermals and a pair of pants. Add a good pair of socks and I'm fine down to about 15-20ish degrees.
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:58 pm

x2 Breathable is the only way to go.
POKER1
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:55 am

I hunt in northeast and central Arkansas. I use the Cabelas 5mm neostretch waders. The have 600 grams in the boots I think.
On warmer days I can just wear the waders with jeans and a t-shirt under my Drake pullover.
On the days where it's freezing or below I'll layer up with long johns and fleece under it all.

Never been so satisfied with a product as the two I mentioned.
Cabela's has kept me warm while duck hunting since 1975. They have NEVER let me down.
arkansas2013 445.jpg
Arkansas AGFC took the above picture.
arkansas2013 442.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby thebman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Orvis sonic seam hunting waders... Expensive at $350.
But they are the shizzle. Had them on in 80degrees and down to 15degrees
Layer up and you are set for any conditions.

And the lace up boots won't come off in the mud.
thebman
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:51 pm

aunt betty wrote:I hunt in northeast and central Arkansas. I use the Cabelas 5mm neostretch waders. The have 600 grams in the boots I think.
On warmer days I can just wear the waders with jeans and a t-shirt under my Drake pullover.
On the days where it's freezing or below I'll layer up with long johns and fleece under it all.

Never been so satisfied with a product as the two I mentioned.
Cabela's has kept me warm while duck hunting since 1975. They have NEVER let me down.
arkansas2013 445.jpg
Arkansas AGFC took the above picture.
arkansas2013 442.jpg

You got a death grip on that dog!
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:41 pm

I have a pair of Cabelas dry plus breathables. I wore them all season this year. When it got cold I just threw a couple layers on under them.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:16 pm

YJSONLY wrote:I am looking for a 600 gram boot with like a 3mm neoprene. What are you wearing under the waders to keep warm with the thin ones? Because I wore some Lacrosse Alpha foxtrotts and like to of froze standing in water this morning... It was 50 F. But I had only jeans on under it...

Wear heavy fleece wader pants under breathables, and you may wish water got colder than 32 degrees.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Chattflorida » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:21 pm

I hunt in north Florida and have to deal with some pretty warm temperatures. I have a pair of lacrosse brush tuff with 1200 grams in the boots for the days when it's cold and a cheap pair of $30 hip boots for the days when it's hot.
Chattflorida
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum