Is there a water proof jacket?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Postby Freezer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:07 pm

A few years ago I bought a Cabela's dry plus 4 in 1 Wading Jacket. It's not waterproof. I've heard there is no such thing as a waterproof jacket. Well is there? I don't care what is costs when it rains I want to stay dry!
Freezer
hunter

Re: Is there a water proof jacket?

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:12 am

Columbia and just about anything gore tex.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:37 am

http://www.kobukwaders.com/Home.htm
Under Surf & Fowler jackets
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby apexhunter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:52 am

A rubber rain coat is the only 100% waterproof jacket you'll find. They suck when it's just "cool" as they do make you sweat a bit but Columbia, Drake, Rocky, Browning, Filson, McAlister, et.al will all get you wet if you hunt in a constant rain for more than a little while. I just sold the 3rd Columbia Quad Parka that I've owned over the years because I hunted in a downpour from setup time until 8:30 just 2 weekends ago and was soaked to the bone. When we got back to camp there were just 2 or 3 hunters out of 25 that weren't soaking wet...and they had rain coats over their parkas.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 am

apexhunter wrote:A rubber rain coat is the only 100% waterproof jacket you'll find.

I'm afraid this is pretty much the truth. :sad: However, the truly waterproof garments will also leave you pretty much wet from perspiration, so name your poison.
I do have an old Remington/Gore-Tex parka that I spent a full day in on the San Fransisco Bay back in the early 90's. In six hours of a driving rain (visibility about 1/4 mile), the only thing that got wet were my hands and face. Don't know if that coat would still stand up to that sort of downpour today, but it did when it was new. (BTW, four man limits of canvasback were the reward for that brutal weather.)
I have breatheable coats today that have left me soaked after an afternoon of steady but light rain in the marsh. Very disappointing....
mudpack
hunter

Postby Freezer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:19 am

Cabelas's Dry Plus is a Gore Tex Jacket. I hunted and hour in a medium rain and I may as well have been in a cotton jacket. I layer well and was never cold but being this wet meant I couldn't hunt the next morning.

Does anyone make a duck camo poncho?
Freezer
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 am

The weak point in most waterproof garments is the seams. The better prepped the seams are the better the garment. garments with taped seams generally cost more but hold up better. I often question if there is really an industry standard for "waterproof". I generally never get more than 2 seasons out of anything waterproof.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:50 am

Freezer wrote:Cabelas's Dry Plus is a Gore Tex Jacket. I hunted and hour in a medium rain and I may as well have been in a cotton jacket. I layer well and was never cold but being this wet meant I couldn't hunt the next morning.

Does anyone make a duck camo poncho?

Cabela's Dry Plus is NOT Gore Tex. The Cabela's Brushbuster jacket IS Gore Tex.

I've owned 1 Cabela's Dry Plus jacket and I sent it back after a spring turkey hunt I was on when I got wet in a mild rain storm while wearing it. I will never own Dry Plus again :no:

If you want to stay dry you'll have to pony up the coin and buy a good quality jacket made with Gore Tex. It's all I'll spend my money on. :yes:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:13 am

I've had my Cabela's Dry Plus wading jacket for just about 15 years. It doesn't leak exceptions in the underside of the elbows. I stand in downpours and remain dry.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 pm

One of my Cabela's Dry Plus jackets is about 7 years old. Last year I got soaked while wearing it in a light rain (that lasted for 5 hours...). When I called Cabela's about it, I was told their Dry Plus must be renewed every 4 or 5 years with a $35 kit put out by Nikwax. I bought the kit, and treated the offending jacket.
I was told it would renew the permeable membrane. I do know that the surface now repels water in my bathroom shower, but don't know if it will keep me dry in a real rain....we've been in this drought now for two years.

I also know that my Dry Plus waders worked perfectly for 9 seasons without any treatments, until I ripped them.
mudpack
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:53 pm

Plenty of waterproof jackets out there...but those are the ones I overheat in the quickest.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Rivers West eider jacket
m.teeter
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Helly Hanson is waterproof too
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:47 pm

m.teeter wrote:Rivers West eider jacket

X2
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Rivers West is dry for a so-called "breathable" but talk about HOT. I've been happiest with Helly Hansen's Impertec Guide's Coat. Doesn't pretend to breath but has a cape style vent across the back that helps when it's hot and absolutely waterproof, as well as having other well thought out features.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Picked up a Cabela's Cold Bay jacket this season and have been very happy with it.

Many of my friends wear Rivers West, while they will keep you dry there are 2 issues.
1) They hold the water and will become very heavy.
2) The zippers have been an issue on several that I know of.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby gomersnerd » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:51 pm

can't figure out why my dri plus breatheable waders have kept me dry for 5 years but my dri-plus jackets will get me soaked.
gomersnerd
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:30 pm

I double up. I wear a Columbia rain jacket with a LLbean waterfowl "shell." Over it Also wear a gortex hat and keep your hoods up. When its warm ill wear a underarmor "cool" weather shirt under. I can't stand getting wet to the bone and this has worked for me. Also don't tuck you rain jack into you waders... Only made that mistake once
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 am

gomersnerd wrote:can't figure out why my dri plus breatheable waders have kept me dry for 5 years but my dri-plus jackets will get me soaked.

The waders have four (or five?) layers of membrane.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Chris6418 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:34 pm

Didnt read all of the posts, so I'm not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but Frogg Togg makes pullover rainwear that is available in MAX4. Incredibly light weight (like, paper thin) and will keep you bone dry. I have a set that I wear while 4wheeling. All clothing underneath stayed completely dry and spotless from mud.
Last edited by Chris6418 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris6418
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:52 pm

get a Columbia great stuff and good customer service
cONG
hunter

Postby EmekaT42 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Gore-Tex is truly waterproof and probably breaths the best. Try the Sitka line. Very quality products most with pit zips. Just make sure they are the Sitka products with Gore-tex.

Emeka
EmekaT42
Newb

Postby gomersnerd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
gomersnerd wrote:can't figure out why my dri plus breatheable waders have kept me dry for 5 years but my dri-plus jackets will get me soaked.

The waders have four (or five?) layers of membrane.

Then they need to put more layers in the jacket.
gomersnerd
hunter

Postby sim559 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 pm

HI
Yes Sitka gear has several in different colors, Hudson Insulated Jacket, Pantanal Parka, Stormfront, Coldfront, Cloudburst, and the Due point.. I am a Sitka dealer and we do have a sale going on. Just Send a PM and I can give more advice.
I have tested most of these and I do stay dry and warm
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby Bluedizzle22 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:11 am

Beretta Extreme Ducker Jacket.. I also found an amzing fleece lined poncho! Sat in the rain for hours and was completely dry.
Bluedizzle22
Newb

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum