Is there a water proof jacket?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Re: Is there a water proof jacket?

Postby gseith » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:13 pm

I have Cabelas brush buster coat lined w/ gortex, and I have always stayed dry. I have worn it in only a few real down pours and have stayed dry.
gseith
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:46 pm

With all those jackets don't dry them with the heat on in the dryer, it'll burn the waterproof membrane off.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Gore-Tex is :bow: waterproof
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:00 pm

The best stuff I ever had was called Peter Storm, but Helly Hanson bought them out 15yrs ago. That stuff was $300 anyway.

So today everyone was getting soaked, except me. It's a pain when they want to leave just when duck huntin is getting good. My Mossy Oak, Duck Blind, Rain Jacket, $28 from Walmart worked just find. Getting a waterproof rain jacket is easy, you just need to know it's limitations. You need to take it off when you are heating up, so you don't sweat in it. Save it for rain.

But when I'm expecting a down pour and I really need to stay dry, I pull out the good stuff. Go buy a real nice rain jacket coat that you can wear to a ball game or out on the town. Mine is Gray and Black. Brand is Drift Creek Outdoors. When its raining, drab colors work fine. They might even have camo, I don't know. I don't get wet or even sweat in that Rain Jacket. You can also spray Scotch Guard on jackets and hats to help repel water - don't mess up your breathable Gortex though.
Last edited by AR Dave on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby petrel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:26 am

Grundens in OD green for a downpour, Filson for rain, other stuff for scattered showers or spray.
petrel
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:19 pm

petrel wrote:Grundens in OD green for a downpour...

Does Grunden make anything with a high collar inside between the hood and back of your neck, so raising the hood doesn't pour water down your back like most pvc or urethane rain coats? That was something I couldn't find on any of their stuff - and that sold me on Helly Hansen.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby sim559 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:47 pm

hi
Check this Sitka jacket http://www.sitkagear.com/products/waterfowl/jackets/pantanal-parka#.UPNGxydZXHQ
I am a dealer with them 469.00 20% off for a bit. I have one X large on hand. You can try it out and you do not like it you return for a full refund PM me if interested
Thanks
rod
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby TXwaterfowl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Try using Revive-X on your stuff. Gore Tex, Dry Plus, etc are waterproof breathable membranes on the inside of clothing. Once the DWR coating has worn off the outside of the jacket, the material will absorb water. I buy the stuff in a spray bottle, spray the jacket down, and set it in with the dryer or a hair dryer and I stay dry until it wears off again. I have a Cabelas brush buster gore tex jacket and an older Columbia Omni tech jacket and they both have served me well when the weather turns nasty, but I can definitely tell when that outer coating wears off. I use the same stuff on my breathable waders as well when the outer fabric stops beading water. Hope this helps.
TXwaterfowl
hunter

Postby ringerslayer21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 pm

I have 5 drake mst jackets in different patterns and I have hunted in them in rain for about 4 hours and I was totally dry don't know why your drakes are getting you wet? :huh:
ringerslayer21
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Gore-tex should work, I have a pair of gore-tex pants army surplus in the british dpm pattern. that was under $20 I think. I also have a swiss poncha made ought of some plastic material in the apenflage pattern that was also under $20. You could always try canvas with a homemade water proofing of parrifum wax and gasoline. :wink: All the Sitka stuff I have I like so far but I also like my drake coat which people seam to not like.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby Catchin Zs » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Is the Cabelas brush buster gore tex a truly waterproof jacket? Heard mixed opinions on this one
Catchin Zs
hunter

Postby sim559 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Put one one and get in the shower and let me know if you came out dry.
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby Guzman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 am

Sitka Gear... My second and third choice are Sitka gear... Right now in the waterfowl industry you have nothing even close to the Sitka line. It is expensive. After using the stuff there is no way I would recommend anything else.

Like an earlier post you need to make sure you check to see if it is Gore-Tex. I like the Hudson, but if you are hunting in warmer climents you might like the other ones.

Don't ask me how or why. The Sitka coats are more flexable, and they are not as loud. They fit so much better. You do not even notice the attached hood when it is down, and when it is up it contures your head. I could go on and on... Additionaly if you are where it is cold PrimiLoft is a whole nother level better.

I used the Sitka gear in some extreme conditions and guarantee it with my right nut..haha

The Dry-Plus and some of the other goretexed lined stuff are good. Gore-Tex is just a liner. You can have Gore-Tex that leaks due to the contruction of the coat. I don't feel Dry-Plus brethes as well and wears out and leaks over time. Rain Parkas are giong to be stiff, do not breath. You are adding one more layer that would you would not have to do with a quality coat which will restrict movement.
Guzman
hunter

Postby garza7585 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 am

I'm sold on the Cabela's Dry Plus 4 -1 wader jacket so far. I bought the jacket last year when it was on sale for like a 100 bucks. Couldn't pass it up. It's kept me completely dry in a heavy downpour and any other wet situations.

To put it to the test before the season, I wore it throughout the whole fishing season. I am a fishing guide on the Detroit River and Lake St. Clair for smallmouth and fish on average of 3 days a week from April-July and a little more sparingly come August-October. Over the course of that time I fished in alot of different conditions.

Early walleye season is usually windy and cold. Keeps me super warm. When it rains it keeps me super warm and dry.

One a few occasions I fished in heavy downpour for an entire 8 hour day. One day we probably would have called it early, but the fishing was awesome. My upper body was completely dry and my jeans SOAKED. The rain soaked through my normal fishing bibs.

So when the duck season came up I was pretty confident in it. The jacket was great. Hurricane Sandy could have blown harder and the rain stronger and I would have been fine.

With all that being said, its been one year. I understand that the jury is still out. So far so good. If I get a few more years out of the jacket performing like it did, i'll have no problem just buying another one.
garza7585
hunter

Postby puffin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:59 am

Columbia. Whan it leaks 4-5 yrs for me hunting every day. You send it back and they send you a new one. About $350 and you never buy another.
puffin
Newb

Postby Catchin Zs » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 am

Funny how some say that the drake is waterproof. The 3 in 1 that I just sent back through my local distributor was not waterproof one bit. I was out in the LIGHT rain for MAYBE an hour a few weeks ago and my brand new phone in the right side pocket in the liner got soaked right through the shell. Drake has some really awful customer service too, the lady I spoke with kept rudely arguing with me. She was hell bent on sending me a new jacket until I finally convinced my local store to give me a credit. Shows you they don't stand behind their products! Just a big dissappointment to spend so much and not have it meet my needs... The other thing, they claim it's 100 % waterproof. Which was clearly not the case with mine, even though it was not even a month old.
Catchin Zs
hunter

Postby cutdownolt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:04 pm

2 words----------------WAX CANVAS!!! Get a McAlister or Filson coat and be done with it
cutdownolt
hunter

Postby Dedduc » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Sitka!
Dedduc
hunter

Postby jenisons » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:17 pm

I had my Cabela's Dry Plus wading jacket. It doesn't leak exceptions in the underside of the elbows. It's good.
"Logic is like a fox knife - those who appeal to it, shall perish by it."
Samuel Butler
jenisons
Newb

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 am

cutdownolt wrote:2 words----------------WAX CANVAS!!! Get a McAlister or Filson coat and be done with it

Two more words: "heavy" and "hot".
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 am

Waterproof? How deep do you want the waterproofing to work? 100 meters? 200 meters?
Ha ha.

I own two Cabela's Dry-plus 4-in-1 wader jackets. I don't ever get wet.

Is your wife washing the coat and drying it every time you go hunting to get the duck smell off?
You NEVER wash a wader jacket. The lining yes but not the raincoat part. OK?

I use a drake pullover and the outer shell from the 4-in-1 and it works fantastic for all sorts of weather.

One more thing. If it's raining so hard that you get wet wearing a 4-in-1 wader jacket and waders...the ducks ain't flying anyway so get out of the rain. Cover up with a tarp or something.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:39 pm

I have the Cabelas Brush Buster and have never gotten wet.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby Jwaite » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:24 am

Ive got the new browning and was in pouring rain for hours this season, dry as a whistle..... pricey though..

Jason
Jwaite
hunter

Postby 541-feet-down » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:34 am

preference... I own a drake mst never been wet in it a rivers west that I've worn in about every hunting condition, jacket is hot but better than being cold and owned a Sitka and thought it was the biggest P.O.S there is. I got soakin wet and pocket zipper and main zipper broke. They refunded my money bought a russel jacket for archery hunting ended up wearin it duck hunting as well for early season, love it. my brother in law swears by Sitka. rubber coat a garbage bag and hunt on in other words
When you come into a morning meeting and forget your lanyard around your neck you may have an addiction.
541-feet-down
hunter

Postby Catchin Zs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 pm

Jwaite wrote:Ive got the new browning and was in pouring rain for hours this season, dry as a whistle..... pricey though..

Jason

I was wondering about that new line. Which one do you have?
Catchin Zs
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum