Sitka Duck Oven Jacket Review

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Sitka Duck Oven Jacket Review

Postby Idaho Mike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:21 am

Got my Sitka Duck Oven jacket today and I must say I'm some what dissapointed in it.

The jacket appears to be well made and very lite weight. It's basically a cross between 1/2 shirt & 1/2 jacket. The only parts of the jacket that are insulated are the sleeves & the upper torso, the lower torso is fabric only. I hope it's as warm as everyone says it is because there sure isn't much to it.

The biggest dissapointment are the thumb holes, which is one of the features I was really looking forward to. I'm 6' tall weigh 200# and went with the size Large. The jacket overall fits good but the sleeves are way to short while using the thumb holes. There is no way I could wear this jacket while using the thumb holes because the sleeves are not designed with any extra length to cover 1/2 your hand. I have a 36" sleeve length which is what Sitka says the Large size is, they just didn't add any to the jacket sleeve to be able utiilize the thumb holes.

I also have a Sitka Traverse in a size Large with the thumb holes. The Traverse fits perfect with room to spare while using the thumb holes, so I'm not sure what's up with the sleeve sizing on this Duck Oven Jacket. The sleeve length is fine as long as I don't plan on using the thumb holes.

I don't mind paying good money for good equipment but I think the folks at Sitka Gear need to go back to the design board on this one. :huh:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Re: Sitka Duck Oven Jacket Review

Postby Wnykahrman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:10 am

I have the same jacket and love it. The bottom half is traverse so it tucks in ur bibs or wader. I wear the pantanal bibs with traverse top and bottoms then layer the duck oven then the delta wading jacket.
Wnykahrman
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 am

I love the camo pattern on the Sitka Waterfowl for hunting in grass and I would like to get the duck oven, but I just cant see how it is much better than comparable gear that cost $150.00 less. The Drake MST tops are half waterproof at top and just fleece on the bottom to make it easy to tuck in the waders and they cost under $100.00 and the sitka cost $249.00 unless on sale. I have the Sitka Waterfowl Dakota Beanie and I am not impressed. Thanks for the review.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:59 pm

I have yet to see any sitka gear that justifies the extra cost over anything else.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby jbutler002 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Just got mine from Rod and tried it on and it fit's me just fine, I'm 5'11' and I have a 35" sleeve length. I'll find out how it is Monday when I go hunting. I use to wear Columbia Wigeon Jackets but their hunting gear quality has dropped off IMHO. Drake quality when it first came out was pretty good or I was just lucky on the jacket I bought. their recent stuff hasn't been up to par. My son in law guides in Colorado, elk, and he swears by Sitka. Price, I haven't found any quality cheap waterfowl gear. I wish Filson made a decent waterfowl camo pattern.
jbutler002
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:01 pm

jbutler002 wrote:Just got mine from Rod and tried it on and it fit's me just fine, I'm 5'11' and I have a 35" sleeve length. I'll find out how it is Monday when I go hunting. I use to wear Columbia Wigeon Jackets but their hunting gear quality has dropped off IMHO. Drake quality when it first came out was pretty good or I was just lucky on the jacket I bought. their recent stuff hasn't been up to par. My son in law guides in Colorado, elk, and he swears by Sitka. Price, I haven't found any quality cheap waterfowl gear. I wish Filson made a decent waterfowl camo pattern.

How's the sleeve length for you with your thumbs in the thumb loops? Sounds like we're pretty close to the same size, did you get the Large?
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby jbutler002 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:36 pm

I put it on over an under armour long sleeve t-shirt and it was fine. I even pulled my shotgun out of the safe and tried it out and had no problems, another 1/4" would be great but if you have a 36" sleeve it would be too small, you probably need an extra large
jbutler002
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:30 pm

jbutler002 wrote:I put it on over an under armour long sleeve t-shirt and it was fine. I even pulled my shotgun out of the safe and tried it out and had no problems, another 1/4" would be great but if you have a 36" sleeve it would be too small, you probably need an extra large

Mine fits great too as long as my thumbs aren't in the thumb loops. I put the jacket on over my Traverse zip T and and I really like the close fit of the jacket. I also can shoulder my gun just fine.

I bought this coat not have to wear bulky clothing underneath it, so I want it to fit close without binding, which it does now as long as I don't use the thumb loops. My fear with getting the XL is the coat will be so oversized I'll be able to wear another coat under it. If this jacket is half as warm as people claim it is (+ I'm very cold temperture tolerant) there will be no need for all the extra room in the body just to be able to have a longer sleeve, so I can use the thumb loops while wearing the jacket.

I think it will be a trade off, I either keep the large and only use the thumb holes (if need be) when putting on my Gore-Tex shell or get the XL so I can have my hands in the thumb loops when ever I want and have an over sized jacket.

This is the down side when you order things off of the internet with out being able to try them on first. I have a Cabela's within a 2 1/2 drive from me but they carry very little Sitka gear & no Sitka waterfowl at all.

I guess I just don't like compromising when dropping that much $$$$ on a jacket :no:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Mike, I also have a 36" sleeve length... but I am 6'3". I had to buy the XL for my size and although I do not use the thumb holes often, the thumb holes do fit fine for me. I agree with your assessment that you might be in between sizes and either have to choose a L (hard to use thumb holes but fits well in body) or an XL (thumb holes work well but larger in the body).

That of course I cannot tremendously help you out with as it is more of a personal preference in that trade off. That said, I will add that I almost always use the Duck Oven as my third layer. I start with the Merino wool top, then the traverse top, and then the Duck Oven. So for me, I could see wanting to make sure it fits well in the body... because it is warm enough that you only probably will have one or two layers underneath.

Just my $0.02
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby mulefarm » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:08 am

Looking at purchasing the duck oven. Cannot find a retailer to try one on for correct size. I'm 5'11" 235 lbs. What size should I order?
mulefarm
Newb

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:59 am

KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby mulefarm » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks for the info. Looking for someone that is close to my size and their thoughts on the jacket and how it fits them.
mulefarm
Newb

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Mule, sent you a PM.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby mulefarm » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:14 pm

KK,
Thanks but I have a bunch of Cabela points to use.
mulefarm
Newb

Return to Hunting Gear Forum