Gear to get me started

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Gear to get me started

Postby SUduckman65 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:45 am

After getting a gun for Christmas I'm finally ready to start buying the rest of the gear I need to start waterfowl hunting next season. I would appreciate any input on waders and jackets. Those are the two things I'm most concerned with to start off with since I have a little money to spend. All responses will be greatly appreciated! As a side note I'll be hunting mostly in north Alabama on Lake Guntersville so I don't really need any extremely warm gear or anything.
SUduckman65
Newb

Re: Gear to get me started

Postby shoreboy06 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:28 am

Whoa buddy slow down a little. First before you jump all in i assume you have been before or have some experience? I don't recommend jumping to the best of everything right off if you haven't been around it. I have the bass pro extreme waders, some love em some have had problems, mine have been good to me thus far but maybe too warm for down your way. I assume your gonna be doing mostly ducks? Pick up a good quality call i know you boys down there love the RNTs and echos but check out the new call Foiles has coming out, the Raizin Cayne its a pretty sweet little deal there. as far as jackets i mean you can get into high end stuff Under Armour or Drake or you can go a little cheaper with your cabelas or bass pro brands. They all go good stuff just depends on what your expecting to run into.
Ill be hyprocritical and you heard it on DHC so its gotta be true
shoreboy06
hunter

Postby SUduckman65 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:39 am

Yeah, I prolly should have mentioned that I do have previous experience haha. Just finished up my last season playing college football and now finally have time to get back into the swing of things.
SUduckman65
Newb

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:10 am

Cabelas waders, cabelas dry-plus coat or brush buster or Columbia wader widgeon, rnt short barrel to get u started. My advice is to buy good quality stuff, yeah u can buy the cheaper stuff and get by but you'll eventually buy the better stuff so y not go ahead and spend your money wisely, been done that
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:44 am

You picked a great time to gear up. Should be a lot of end of year sales going on. I have Drake LST waders and love them. I've worn them the past 2 seasons. As far as jackets it doesnt get too cold down here, so I go with a good base layer, a sweater, good fleece vest, then a Drake MST 1/4 zip pullover on top. I've never gotten cold so far. As far as calls go I'm a big fan of Mayday Custom Calls. They are made in Decatur, Al. They have great looking and great sounding calls, plus the company does a lot with charity and the Christian Waterfowler's Assoc.IMO they have a better sound than the Echo's and RNT's, plus you're not gonna beat a good custom call fitted to you
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 am

Agree - get quality once, instead of cheap until you get quality. Waders are on sale at Cabelas and Macks - get em now. If you are new to calling, get the RNT Hunter/with video $50, bought one for my 18 yr old - but I keep borrowing it, that thing is loud and crisp sounding.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby MRussell » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm doing this exact thing as well. I've always had the philosophy with buying a little better instead of replacing more often but my bride says I'm notorious for finding deals so I'll continue that through collecting gear in the off season. I just bought a set of the Drake LST waders for $179 and a coat for $60. Not that I was looking for that name, that's just what I found deals on. I'm told everything waterfowl will be on sale soon so it should be a good time for finding gear. Also, when ordering online, take a few minutes and search for coupon codes. This is an EASY way to save additional $$$ Good luck!!! :thumbsup:
MRussell
hunter

Postby Timex » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 am

As stated by luvbowhuntin, get the best waders you can afford and now is an awesome time to buy! Not sure how far you have to walk/paddle or what your conditions are. Most of the guys on this site have forgotten more about waterfowling than I will ever learn, so I will limit my comments.

Since I hunt shores on mountain lakes, I utilize a home made layout blind that I carry in. Concealment is critical for me since the amount of natural cover varies. Some quality gear that I use:

1. Tarantula decoy / bag pack - a great piece of gear for those of us who travel on foot to our hunting sites.

2. Avery blind bag- smaller size. I tried a bigger bag but went back to this one. Sort of a minimalist approach.

3. 1st aide kit for my labrador. Always, always with me. Hank is 10 1/2 I watch him closely. He has earned it.

4. Glacier gloves (neoprene) and a lighter shooting glove.

5. Cammo balaclava and face paint. The hands and face are like signal mirrors. I cover them up, sit still, and avoid looking up making every effort to utilize peripheral vision.

6. Headlamp and a spare light.

6. Small survival kit- I had a close call hiking out in a blizzard.

Have a great season!
Timex
Newb

Return to Hunting Gear Forum