A little bit of Layout Advice needed

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

A little bit of Layout Advice needed

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:03 pm

I am wanting to zip tie some raffia grass onto my layout. How do you guys go about doing this? What colors should i use? Should i get an "all terrain" pack and just mix the colors all up?

Any advice or pics would greatly help!
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Re: A little bit of Layout Advice needed

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:12 pm

I use bamboo clothes clips for my bundles. I dye up my own from natural stuff I get from Hobby Lobby or online to suit whatever terrain I may hunt. I have dirt brown, cut grass green, clover green, tan, natural, and corn yellow. I will mix and match whatever colors I see at the spot to match, but I also only use it as a BASE. I still stubble with natural stuff from around the field...only way to perfectly match to an area imo. Here are a couple pics of a couple of my blinds with some dif. colored raffia bundles on them. Note how you can still see A LOT of the blind on the green raffia'd one? Again I only use it as a base...
Attachments
IMG_2012121228345.jpg
Droid Pictures 178.jpg
Droid Pictures 178.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Last edited by dsm16428 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:11 pm

I just used a half hitch style knot to attach my raffia to the layout,easy,quick way to do it.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:07 pm

ColoradoGooser wrote:I just used a half hitch style knot to attach my raffia to the layout,easy,quick way to do it.

I would only do that if I know I'm gonna be hunting the same area for an extended period that has about the same colored cover. If you hunt different areas with diferent cover colors, your kinda shooting yourself in the foot if all your binds are raffia stubbled for say a cut hay field that you're hunting one day and then you're hunting lush pasture or clover the next. You'll stand out like a sore toe imo. With a clip-type system, I keep all my raffia in totes and just bring them out upon set up, or even the night before and pre-stubble the blinds, giving them a good base. Makes for easier set up the next morning and allows you to take your time and get the dread right and not get all sweated up in the process...
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum