Perfect Call Lanyard

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Perfect Call Lanyard

Postby A_Winnie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:16 pm

What does everyone look for in a duck call lanyard? What kind of features are your favorite? Are there somethings you like or dislike about lanyards? I would Like to know your opinion so comment and let me know.
2014-2015 Season
A_Winnie
hunter

Re: Perfect Call Lanyard

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Something that I can adjust to fit what I want, how I want. I have a heavy hauler that the drops can be moved around on it.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Wide neck pad, double call dropps, parracord, ability to add things to it (like small keychain flashlights), how far it hangs down.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Lanyard that will hold up. Calls are expensive!

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:26 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Wide neck pad, double call dropps, parracord, ability to add things to it (like small keychain flashlights), how far it hangs down.

Yeah, don't want to piss on your calls by accident. :yes:
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:51 pm

snapshotmd wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Wide neck pad, double call dropps, parracord, ability to add things to it (like small keychain flashlights), how far it hangs down.

Yeah, don't want to piss on your calls by accident. :yes:

Or have them dragging in the water while you are walking in or picking up birds.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby A_Winnie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks for all the great Ideas! keep them coming, I will be making some to sell at a local waterfowl store and I want them to be what people want so I want the honest opinion of waterfowl hunters.
2014-2015 Season
A_Winnie
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:09 pm

If you are braiding your own I would suggest making it float somehow. Like braiding in some neoprene strips via a cobra braid for example. Just a suggestion.
jaysweet3 wrote:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:59 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Something that I can adjust to fit what I want, how I want. I have a heavy hauler that the drops can be moved around on it.

:thumbsup: Have one and really like it,comfortable,easily customized to fit.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby gomersnerd » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:43 pm

I have never found a lanyard as good as my redhead brand made of a material much like flat shoe laces. strong yet flexible. Problem is I haven't found another one and i have been looking 10 years or so.
gomersnerd
hunter

Postby Edge pro staff_Austin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Field Proven calls! landyard is really good
Born to be wild.
Edge pro staff_Austin
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:32 am

Nothing irritates me more than a lanyard hanging on the back of my bare neck, especially the braided cord types. When it's cold, it's not bad because I wear a turtleneck....but with no turtleneck the constant movement as I look for birds produces much pain.
I made a lanyard about 15 years ago that uses a soft leather strap and brass rings to which I can snap the calls I want to use on any given day. It works beautifully. (each call is permanently on its own dropper which has a snap hook on the end to attach to the brass rings)

The trick is to get the droppers on the calls long enough so that you don't lift the whole gang when you bring one call up to your mouth. At the same time, the "loop" of the lanyard must be short enough so the same thing doesn't happen, yet big enough to get it over your head. I solved this by making the loop small and open-ended (a snap hook attaches to one of the brass rings to close the loop): small enough to keep the calls up and tidy, snap shut so you can wear it around your neck.
mudpack
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:41 am

This.
calling for fun 001.jpg
calling for fun 004.jpg

When I first started hunting...a lanyard was one strand of paracord with little spring things on the loops to hold a call. Really CHEAP and the cord was thinner than a shoelace.

Y'all are spoiled.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:52 am

When I first started hunting, aunt betty, my lanyard WAS a shoelace! (a used one at that) :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 am

mudpack wrote:When I first started hunting, aunt betty, my lanyard WAS a shoelace! (a used one at that) :thumbsup:
ME2! I dipped mine in trap dip. Made it black.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Catchin Zs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:32 am

Anyone else else have the heavy hauler? It looks really comfortable and a big plus is that you can unclip the call lanyard and attach duck straps instead
Catchin Zs
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 pm

i had the ol lady weave me one up out of paracord.i dont need fancy, but i need stuff that works, and it does work.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby fowledevolution » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:23 pm

This post is awesome...
hope your business does well!!!
mario
fowledevolution
hunter

Postby A_Winnie » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 pm

it's looking like it will do well I've already come out with a design where you can add as many call drops to the lanyard as you want and they also can slid up and down on the lanyard making it really adjustable
2014-2015 Season
A_Winnie
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:21 pm

I have made a bunch of lanyards. The most recent one, along with all of my calls fell out the back of the truck and got just pulverized in traffic, my calls were all smashed to smithereens along with my bands. The lanyard was destroyed as well so I made this one. It took about 100 feet of 2 colors and just a bit of the third color. If I was making these for money I'd have to charge about $75 for my time, and I am not interested in it even if someone wanted to pay me that much for one. I left myself room to add a drop dead center, add the GoPro remote, dog whistle/whatever. Just thought I'd share what I think is the perfect lanyard. To those complaining about how coarse paracord is, you just need to wear it more often- it gets soft as cotton over time.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Very nice lanyard. Like the layered look a lot.
jaysweet3 wrote:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm

gomersnerd wrote:I have never found a lanyard as good as my redhead brand made of a material much like flat shoe laces. strong yet flexible. Problem is I haven't found another one and i have been looking 10 years or so.

^^^^Something like this^^^^ THIN, strong with 6 drops. Every thing out there is thick, braided and not comfortable to wear. I don't want to feel it around my neck.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:05 am

I just make my own from paracord
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:51 pm

I have one that was made by another DHC member. It is ROUND 16 strand braid of paracord. The whole thing is about 3/4" in diameter which sounds like alot but the size carries the weight of the calls. It was the 4th lanyard I got within a 3 week window, and only one i still use. I value it as much as my handmade calls.

I will post up some pictures tomorrow.
Support Conservation Efforts
Hunters and non-hunters alike should support wilderness conservation by both personal actions like conserving natural resources, and by supporting the good work of institutions like Ducks Unlimited.
20bolt
hunter

Postby A_Winnie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Troutslayer wrote:I have made a bunch of lanyards. The most recent one, along with all of my calls fell out the back of the truck and got just pulverized in traffic, my calls were all smashed to smithereens along with my bands. The lanyard was destroyed as well so I made this one. It took about 100 feet of 2 colors and just a bit of the third color. If I was making these for money I'd have to charge about $75 for my time, and I am not interested in it even if someone wanted to pay me that much for one. I left myself room to add a drop dead center, add the GoPro remote, dog whistle/whatever. Just thought I'd share what I think is the perfect lanyard. To those complaining about how coarse paracord is, you just need to wear it more often- it gets soft as cotton over time.

When you make them to sell them you try to use the least amount of para cord possible (I only use 34 feet at the most)
2014-2015 Season
A_Winnie
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum