Beginning Gear Questions

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Beginning Gear Questions

Postby HunterT56 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Im new to duck hunting and im trying it out next season. I have the Buck Gardner Double Nasty2 ordered already but i ws wondrring what some other calls i might need? How many decoys? Are mojo decoys worth the money and what are a good pair of economy friendly wwaders? Ill be hunting Mallards, Woodies, Teal, and Canadian Geese. Any answers will help
HunterT56
hunter

Re: Beginning Gear Questions

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 pm

First and foremost calling isn't as important as scouting. Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout and scout some more. That is the best way to kill anything. For calls since you already have a mallard hen call, learn to become efficient blowing it. Also get a duck whistle(Haydels is my favorite), get a woody call(Duck Commander is my favorite), and get a goose call. For decoys pick up 1-2 dozen mallards, 1/2-1 dozen teal, 1/2 dozen woodies(don't really need em but woodies will decoy to em), and some goose decoys. Goose decoys depends on where you will be hunting(field or water). Mojos are not worth the money, invest in a jerk cord instead. Waders are on sale right now along with alot of other stuff. Check out rogerssportinggoods.com, mackspw.com, cabelas.com, finalflight.net. Those are some of the better sites for gear.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:08 pm

rebelp74 wrote:First and foremost calling isn't as important as scouting. Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout and scout some more. That is the best way to kill anything. For calls since you already have a mallard hen call, learn to become efficient blowing it. Also get a duck whistle(Haydels is my favorite), get a woody call(Duck Commander is my favorite), and get a goose call. For decoys pick up 1-2 dozen mallards, 1/2-1 dozen teal, 1/2 dozen woodies(don't really need em but woodies will decoy to em), and some goose decoys. Goose decoys depends on where you will be hunting(field or water). Mojos are not worth the money, invest in a jerk cord instead. Waders are on sale right now along with alot of other stuff. Check out rogerssportinggoods.com, mackspw.com, cabelas.com, finalflight.net. Those are some of the better sites for gear.

X2
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Watch your local Craigslist for some good deals on decoys and I see alot of waders on there as well. You don't need to spend alot to kill ducks.
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby HunterT56 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:27 am

When using the Buck Gardner Double Nasty2 how would you recommend to use it? The buck gardner sight says to say "quit" into it for quacks and hail calls. Ive read that its easier to use the "ten" method for everything. Ehat do you recommend to use?
HunterT56
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 am

Quit?
Try hut or hoot.
I have a video somewhere of me blowing thru a call backwards. Look up RNT guy named Butch Rickenbach or something like that.
He has a really good instructional call video on Youtube.
Butch knows how to call ducks. There's a guy named Rick Dunn who has some good videos on youtube as well.
You can do it all with a hen mallard and a 6-in-one call.
I only use one call and kill mallards, teal, wigeon, gadwalls, you name it. I don't think I use that 6-in-one much except for making a drake mallard sound. Teal land to mallard calls in general.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby GreenHead1269 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:51 pm

sierratradingpost.com or sign up for mackspw.com give them your email an they will give you $15 off your first purchase + free shipping! Aslo drakewaterfowl.com is BLOWING out all there stuff. Really good stuff aswell. An YouTube for learning how to call. Thats what i did. Good Luck!!
GreenHead1269
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum