Gloves

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Gloves

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:21 am

This is a tough one.
For a guy to wear gloves while calling is BAD JOO-JOO.
I refuse to wear gloves and call. If I wear gloves I end up ripping them off, throwing them on the boat floor, and they get soaked.
I heat my blind with a propane heater and as some of you may know...that tears your hands up bad.
I'm toying with the idea of wearing surgical gloves while hunting so I can call right and keep my hands from cracking.
That heater cracks my hands up bad.

If you do it right...duck hunting hurts and you tear up lots of stuff. Spend half the day fixing things and drying them out.
Hands is one of the things I tend to not take good enough care of.
Gloves are fer p*ssies.
arkansas2013 414.jpg
arkansas2013 413.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Re: Gloves

Postby goldfish » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:42 am

I like the lemon tea, but for the life of me, Spongebob.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:03 pm

I used to be an authority on crack creams (yes, there's a joke there) from Zim's to Boudreaux's Butt Paste (and another), but have since learned that preventing cracking beats pee out of treating it. Any good hand cream, from Intensive Care to Bag Balm, does wonders if used early and often BEFORE cracks start, as does keeping hands dry and from wind burning when handling decoys or wet birds and driving the boat. I've found nothing better, or handier, than cotton lined utility gloves like these for those chores:

That thin lining does a surprisingly good job of keeping cold from transferring through the rubber, but cheap Army surplus wool liners worn underneath makes a combo about as warm as anything out there. The cuff notches were cut to make slipping them on super quick and easy, so there won't be temptation to skip doing so when accepting wet birds from the dog on frigid mornings. And they're cheap and compact enough to keep pairs handy most anywhere you're apt to want them.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:06 pm

I wear warm gloves. Yes, a glove will change the quality of sound from a call, but not enough to affect the birds. IMHO.
Sure beats splits around your fingertips.....
mudpack
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:10 am

I just put my hands in my pockets.

Just before I leave the house, I put on some hand lotion. When I get to my blind, I start up the handwarmers and put them in my pockets/Avery handmuff. I setup/teardown with decoy gloves.

We use a heater, but it's more for the dog than anything else. I don't use the heater to warm my hands.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 am

I been thinking about this and the obvious solution is to start being like a 4-year-old and tie my gloves to my coat like my mom used to do. :biggrin:
Of course then the "tangled glove in sling of shotgun" excuse will come out of my mouth.

I think I'll try the surgical glove thing first. It's the propane heater that tears up the hands. Heated blind is nice but you pay the price with cracked paws. :wink:
aunt betty

Postby snapshotmd » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:27 am

aunt betty wrote:I think I'll try the surgical glove thing first. It's the propane heater that tears up the hands. Heated blind is nice but you pay the price with cracked paws. :wink:

and put some lotion on your hands before you put on your rubbers. :wink: But serious, with lotion inside your surgical gloves, your hands will never crack.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby Guzman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:08 am

Get at the cracks ASAP with super glue to keep them together.

This is going to sound crazy but go get a manicure during the season. They file off all the dead skin that causes your hands to get stiff and crack. They trim the cuticals and lotion your hands up good. I know it sounds stupid by I always say a real man gets manis because he works so hard with his hands.
Guzman
hunter

Postby fowledevolution » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Guzman wrote:I know it sounds stupid by I always say a real man gets manis because he works so hard with his hands.

Havent thought about it that way...
put.s things in perspesctive
thanks
mario
fowledevolution
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:04 pm

Guzman wrote:Get at the cracks ASAP with super glue to keep them together.

This is going to sound crazy but go get a manicure during the season. They file off all the dead skin that causes your hands to get stiff and crack. They trim the cuticals and lotion your hands up good. I know it sounds stupid by I always say a real man gets manis because he works so hard with his hands.
OK, now where would one get a manicure in Manila, Arkansas? You kiddin' me?
I just can't be seen with my truck parked in front of Kari's Quick Curl and Manicure... :yes:
The super-glue thing works pretty well.
aunt betty

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:20 pm

AB, Kinda suprised that your hands weren't well lotioned after being in that tent for a month!
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby dfrauenkron » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 pm

:lol: :lol:
dfrauenkron
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:34 am

Notice how he only shows ONE hand lol. Gold bond medicated lotion works really well.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:36 am

I do alot of auto body work, my hands are always dry and cracking from all the chemicals. I have found corn huskers lotion to be the best. Plus the smell makes my wife want me.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Gulfcoast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:04 pm

t_baker wrote:I have found corn huskers lotion to be the best.

Me, too. And its cheap and available at any Wally World.
So many ducks, so little time . . .

HRCH Ellie Mae MH
Tipsy Puppy
Gulfcoast
hunter

Postby archerykid13 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:46 pm

I use corn husker's lotion and then another type of lotion that I can't remember the name of. I think it might be "Working Man's" lotion or something like that. They work great, my hands look just like yours AB!!
archerykid13
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum